Mind Garage - Tobacco Road - versions

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Talking about Tobacco Road in the American Idol thread reminded me of this...I tried but couldn't find that thread we had a while ago about great songs that have that one crap part in it that makes you cringe.My brother turned me on to this record and I love how they do Tobacco Road until it gets to the piano - AK! Take it out! Song is good and heavy and driving and then screeeeeecch! It grinds to a halt. Some raggedy-ass rag-timey piano kicks in and my smile turns into a frown. Yea. But otherwise, this record is pretty hot. PS. And the Youngblood version is of course near perfection.

Comments

• Nashville Teens

Blues Magoos

• I dig the Blues Magoos version, nice little "freak out" section full of organ noise, feedback, etc...

Also a fan of 68 Comeback's version...wall to wall belching guitars and Tobacco pronouced "Toobakka"

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Picked up this record last weekend, and they do a version. If anyone is interested, I can make an emmpeethree.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

this record is really rad and really unbearably aweful at the same time.

Jailhouse Rock cover?

All of side 2?

^^ What is the story behind this graemlin?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

this record is really rad and really unbearably aweful at the same time.

Jailhouse Rock cover?

All of side 2?

LOL - Yup, Side 2 is so good it definitely makes up for Side 1.

• yeah that record is good and bad. Has some nice moments and then some uggh moments, but that's pretty much how I feel about most records that fit into that category.

On the back cover it lists all the band members info and one of them dudes is dead. I always felt bad when i'd look at it, like "damn, he didn't even see the album come out."

• ^^ What is the story behind this graemlin?

George Takei is a frequent guest on the Howard Stern show, and they frop a clip of him saying "Oh My!" about 30 times a day.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Best version I have is Almeta Latimer on De-Vel

• I like the version on this LP-

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Blues Magoos

Definitely one of the better versions.

There's an OK version on the first Leaves record as well.

• cool version on nova local

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

cool version on nova local

I really like this record.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Picked up this record last weekend, and they do a version. If anyone is interested, I can make an emmpeethree.

Pretty good version here, as I recall.

• There's a killer clip (not on YouTube) of the Nashville Teens doing their version on a TV show, with dramatic and dynamic lighting and set changes throughout the song.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Junior Wells and Buddy Guy shredding

DivShare File - 08 Tobacco Road.m4p

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Yea. But otherwise, this record is pretty hot.

their first album is pretty good too.

• There's a killer clip (not on YouTube) of the Nashville Teens doing their version on a TV show, with dramatic and dynamic lighting and set changes throughout the song.

It's from this...

• No, that's a different one, and is on YouTube. The one I have is from an old Japanese laserdisc comp of 60s clips. Maybe I'll figure out how to get it up there, it's pretty badass.

• No, that's a different one, and is on YouTube. The one I have is from an old Japanese laserdisc comp of 60s clips. Maybe I'll figure out how to get it up there, it's pretty badass.

is this the clip?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I'll ride for this version all day

• On the back cover it lists all the band members info and one of them dudes is dead. I always felt bad when i'd look at it, like "damn, he didn't even see the album come out."

kinda like those salsa LP's from the sixties where one of the guys who played on the record got drafted in Vietnam before the album was released (Ray Barretto's Hard Hands, the Lat-Teens' Buena Gente). when they mention that fact in the liners, i always wonder if that particular bandmember made it back alright.

• - John D. Loudermilk (a/k/a the guy who wrote the song...he does it as a downtempo acoustic country blues, first in the late fifties as a single on Columbia, then in 1971 on an album he did for Warner Bros.)

- Lou Rawls (an obvious choice, but still needs to be mentioned...preferably the studio version on his Tobacco Road album, not the live version that sometimes turns up on compilations)

is this the clip?

I don't think so; now I gotta go and find it. If it's different, I'll post it.