ipod touch....

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
im considering getting the ipod touch...maybe just the 8gig... maybe thats not much room tho for videos and the such....question - has anyone figured out how to use skype on the iphone or ipod touch yet??

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    could someone explain the point of getting an ipod touch when theyre helllla expensive and have barely any space when compared to a regular ipod, which these days are pretty cheap. (original 40gb=$400/ new 160gb=$350 ipod touch screen 8gb=around $300)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    could someone explain the point of getting an ipod touch when theyre helllla expensive and have barely any space when compared to a regular ipod, which these days are pretty cheap. (original 40gb=$400/ new 160gb=$350 ipod touch screen 8gb=around $300)
    because it's basically an iphone without the phone part?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

seriously. the only logic i can see in getting with such minimal capacity is if its a FLASH mp3 player that you're using for the gym/running. and if that's the case, get a sansa (sandisk) 200 series, similar in function to the classic ipods with a spinning wheel and way more cheaper...even flash players are on the comeup for capacity, i think the highest is at 32gb.

sony has stepped their shit up significantly with the higher capacity players. here's a good 8gb'er though:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZA818BLK-Walkman-Video-Player/dp/B000VAKI60/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Havent heard of anyone getting the VoIP going yet, but havent really looked too hard, just saw discussion about it a month or two ago.

Btw, I filled up the 16gb pretty quick, constantly finding myself stressed to delete shit I like every time I want to add something. Jussayin.....

ahhhhhhh...
    i see....

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

My co-worker got one and is basically a fun toy. It has wi-fi and google maps and everything the iPhone has except the phone and bluetooth. He hacked it using installer.app and added all kinds of games and such. I would recommend you just buy a iPhone and unlock it. It is so easy to do these days.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Basically you are buying a WIFI device that includes an mp3 player.

The browser and email functions alone make it a totally different type of device than the other ipods.

I love my iphone to death, but the touch is pretty sweet too.

Plus, coverflow, widescreen for video, calculator?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

ahhhhhhh...
    i see....

if you're looking for a straight mp3 player, there's no point in buying a touch. if you're looking for something that you can web browse on, play music, watch movies, and whatever the fuck else apps they have on it, then a touch might be a good choice.

widescreen for video

coverflow

Do people actually use this feature?

I cant stand when that shit pops up and I have to angle the thing just right so i can get back and pick a song. Worthless...

and im sure youll find that most of your mp3s dont have art work embedded in them so that aint nuttin. sound like you may as well get the phone version for the most bang for your buck. or get a little laptop with wireless functionality.

Yup, less than a quarter had art already. I spent about 10 minutes tracking down art for the other 140 albums before I was like "wtf am i doing?!?". The novelty of coverflow had a shelf life of about an hour.

Mine was given as a gift, but it really is a nice little piece, best mp3 player of the 5 I've owned. Hardly use the other features, but the screen is real nice for movies, and once in a while it's perfect to jump on the wifi. If it broke, i would definitely consider buying another...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    and im sure youll find that most of your mp3s dont have art work embedded in them so that aint nuttin.
    itunes can automatically add artwork to all your mp3s
    sound like you may as well get the phone version for the most bang for your buck.
    i don't know if paying 70 bucks a month + cost of phone for something you might not really utilize would be considered "bang for your bucks"

or get a little laptop with wireless functionality.
    do they make laptops that fit in your pocket now?

• yeah, these dudes figured it out, and even made a mic for it:

http://touchmods.wordpress.com/

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    no on the ipod touch. but the real question is...

or

??

• i don't know if paying 70 bucks a month + cost of phone for something you might not really utilize would be considered "bang for your bucks"

i don't own one but one of my roommates got an 8gb iPhone for his birthday and he uses the internet feature all the time. mainly for watching youtube in class but he's always lookin at that thing. i was seriously considering getting an iTouch because most places have wi-fi now anyway, but the fact that a 32gb iTouch is $500 and a 160gb iPod Classic was only $320 is was kind of a no brainer.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i don't know if paying 70 bucks a month + cost of phone for something you might not really utilize would be considered "bang for your bucks"

i don't own one but one of my roommates got an 8gb iPhone for his birthday and he uses the internet feature all the time. mainly for watching youtube in class but he's always lookin at that thing. i was seriously considering getting an iTouch because most places have wi-fi now anyway, but the fact that a 32gb iTouch is $500 and a 160gb iPod Classic was only $320 is was kind of a no brainer.

thats what im saying though, one is an mp3 and movie player, the other is a mobile internet device that can also play music and video

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i don't own one but one of my roommates got an 8gb iPhone for his birthday and he uses the internet feature all the time. mainly for watching youtube in class

I might have this guy in my classes.