AMY WINEHORSE IS DA BAST

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
5 GRAMMYS includingBEST NEW ARTISTBEST POP ALBUM VOCALRECORD OF THE YEAR[/b]do you believe now, hatturs? herbie who?

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    and she was banned from amerikkka

funny

serously though
    sharon jones should have got something by now

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    she should of dedicated her 5 grammys to the uk tabloid press.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Yeah, because everyone knows that Grammys are awarded on the basis of an artist's press clippings. Jesus...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I was hoping for a "I said, Yes, Yes, Yes" or "I said, Go On Then" during "Rehab".

• I was hoping for a "I said, Yes, Yes, Yes" or "I said, Go On Then" during "Rehab".

Me too, though she did a couple of shout outs to her hubby, who is, as they say, in gaol...

• As I said in another post, I didn't even watch the entire Grammys, so I'll have to find Amy's performance elsewhere. But a lot of people have support for her, including Cyndi Lauper. There was a moment where she was presenting an award with futur Grammy legend Mylie Cyrus, and Miss Cyrus says, directed at Lauper, "your[/b] favorite artist, Amy Winehouse", as if being Disney and actually admitting you like Amy Winehouse will be as damaging as her new teeth and Vanessa Hudgens pubes.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

Yeah, because everyone knows that Grammys are awarded on the basis of artistic merit. Jesus...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    JESIS GOD THAT BITCH IS AWLFULL. IVE TRIED LIKE TEN DIFFERENT TIMES TO LISTEN TO THAT SHIT. ITS JUST TERRIBLE. BUTT she's still better than crybaby West.

I was in Target the other day, and this decent looking artsy asian chick had that Army Winehorse eyeliner slopped across her face > officially old and disconnected.

Yeah, because everyone knows that Grammys are awarded on the basis of artistic merit. Jesus...

Well, as I understand it, that may actually be a lot truer than you might think. Look at how many technical awards are dished out at the Grammys, compared to the Brits. It seems to me that the folks responsible for deciding who wins what are given a fairly strict set of criteria by which to make their judgements. If the volume of tabloid gossip-column coverage (and not even in the US press) was the key deciding factor, then how come a jazz album gets to win Album of The Year? At least the Grammys don't give out awards to performers on the basis of them promising to show up on the night (any number of US winners at previous MOBO ceremonies), or because they threaten not to turn up unless they're given at least two awards (Robbie Williams at the Brits).

If you'd rather not consider these points, then plaese to continue bellyaching along with everyone else about how Sharon Jones has been ripped off because someone else made a record with her band which sold 3m copies and won a grip of awards, despite that person obviously having no talent or ability whatsoever.

• That withered old hack is a shadow, of a shadow of his former self. He need to shut the f*ck up.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

"Who gives a fuck about a goddamn Grammy?"

That withered old hack is a shadow, of a shadow of his former self. He need to shut the f*ck up.

"he couldn't understand how the younger generation, knowing the dangers of drug use, could still be users."

• That withered old hack is a shadow, of a shadow of his former self. He need to shut the f*ck up.

"he couldn't understand how the younger generation, knowing the dangers of drug use, could still be users."

Too busy braiding fly-fishing lures into his hair to be relevant...

I can't believe you're dissing an icon like Keith Richards in favor of Winehorse, the one-trick pony...

C'mon dude...

I'm dissing both.

• I'm dissing both.

Well, alright. Carry on, then....

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Anyone got the 411 on a rebroadcast? I was working last night and missed the show.

I can't believe you're dissing an icon like Keith Richards in favor of Winehorse, the one-trick pony...

C'mon dude...

I don't know about one trick pony. I happen to like her album a lot.
    Richards on the other hand has long passed into the role of establishment tool. All that's left of him is a deeply tarnished legacy and a positively Satanic smokers cough.
    The Rolling Stones are a blight on the rock landscape, like a bleached skeleton stuffed with dirty money.

That withered old hack is a shadow, of a shadow of his former self. He need to shut the f*ck up.

^^^ *Dick pants in full effect* ^^^

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

C'mon dude...

If the "trick" is co-opting Black music, then they're both guilty.

C'mon dude...

Richards on the other hand has long passed into the role of establishment tool. All that's left of him is a deeply tarnished legacy and a positively Satanic smokers cough.
    The Rolling Stones are a blight on the rock landscape, like a bleached skeleton stuffed with dirty money.

How exactly are the Stones a blight on the rock landscape? Is it because they've been able to outlive their contemporaries? Granted, I wouldn't go see the Stones as they are now, but no one can deny their overall contribution to the genre. I think your critique would just as easily apply to Joplin, Morrison or Hendrix if they were still around today. The fact that the Stones can still get on a stage and play music after all the damage they've put on themselves is pretty impressive. They also played music in an era that had no shortage of great acts. Not like the barren wasteland of disposable pop bullshit and watered-down soulless imitators that make up the "rock landscape" of today.

Chances are, Winehouse isn't gonna be around for much longer, so enjoy her music while you can. Personally, I don't think she's all that and I would solely attribute her grammy wins as nothing more than a lack of competition. She basically (IMO) won by default.

C'mon dude...

Yes, but the Stones did a way better job at it...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

C'mon dude...

Nah, when comparing the soulfulness of these two, Amy trumps.

C'mon dude...

How exactly are the Stones a blight on the rock landscape? Is it because they've been able to outlive their contemporaries? Granted, I wouldn't go see the Stones as they are now, but no one can deny their overall contribution to the genre. I think your critique would just as easily apply to Joplin, Morrison or Hendrix if they were still around today. The fact that the Stones can still get on a stage and play music after all the damage they've put on themselves is pretty impressive. They also played music in an era that had no shortage of great acts. Not like the barren wasteland of disposable pop bullshit and watered-down soulless imitators that make up the "rock landscape" of today.

Chances are, Winehouse isn't gonna be around for much longer, so enjoy her music while you can. Personally, I don't think she's all that and I would solely attribute her grammy wins as nothing more than a lack of competition. She basically (IMO) won by default.

They're a blight because they suck, and have sucked for many, many years.
    If they deserve credit for remaining alive, then it should come not from music fans but the medical community.
    I agree with you that Morrison and Joplin would probably be playing State Fairs if they were still alive. Hendrix on the other hand...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Well, as I understand it, that may actually be a lot truer than you might think. Look at how many technical awards are dished out at the Grammys, compared to the Brits. It seems to me that the folks responsible for deciding who wins what are given a fairly strict set of criteria by which to make their judgements. If the volume of tabloid gossip-column coverage (and not even in the US press) was the key deciding factor, then how come a jazz album gets to win Album of The Year? At least the Grammys don't give out awards to performers on the basis of them promising to show up on the night (any number of US winners at previous MOBO ceremonies), or because they threaten not to turn up unless they're given at least two awards (Robbie Williams at the Brits).

If you'd rather not consider these points, then plaese to continue bellyaching along with everyone else about how Sharon Jones has been ripped off because someone else made a record with her band which sold 3m copies and won a grip of awards, despite that person obviously having no talent or ability whatsoever.

Look - the Grammys reflect a consensus amidst a very particular set of voters that - often times - seem to fly in the face of populism, even critically-tinged populism. That voting base also tends to skew older which explains not just Hancock this year but surprising wins of late like Steely Dan back in 2001. I'm not suggesting Herbie didn't deserve to win (but I also didn't hear his album...in fact, very few people did: it only sold 40,000 copies). But when it comes to the Grammys - even more so than the Oscars in my opinion - this utter disconnect between "what voters like" vs. "what people like" + "what critics like" couldn't be more stark.

where's your RS cut-off, L***y?

• Rob & Fab were da bast too!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    where's your RS cut-off, L***y?

Mine is Exile, with a pass given for some songs off Tatoo You and the track 'Undercover of the Night'.

C'mon dude...

Nah, when comparing the soulfulness of these two, Amy trumps.

See, the difference here lies in the fact that Winehorse is directly co-opting black music, whereas the Stones incorporated their black music influences into their OWN sound. This really isn't open for debate, is it? Kinda sad that this junkie twat is being championed so vehemently on a forum that prides itself on recognizing the difference between real music and pale imitations.