Why do foreigners comment on American elections?

Comments

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I AM TOTALLY ROLLIN FOR OBAMA.... ALL THE WAY FROM THE UK BITCH!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    with a bit of luck, this thread will drive away the last remaining international contingent of this site.

Brian doesn't even collect records does he?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    All I've gathered from this thread so far is that foreigners have a false sense of entitlement that makes them feel that it's okay to comment on American politics. I have not read a single concrete point that has convinced me otherwise.

If the consequences of American politics just affected Americans alone, and didn't for instance mean that I, a non-American citizen, was subject to things like random police searches when I want to use public transport in a city over 5000 miles from Washington, I probably wouldn't give much of a fuck about it either, largest English-speaking democracy in the world or not.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    false sense of entitlement

Heh. I should know better by now than to chime in on threads like this, but...

I've said this before, and now I'm going to say it again; I like America, and I like Americans. Whenever I've visited the US, I've found its citizens (amongst them, a couple of people who frequent this board) to be warm, friendly, generous and hospitable. I even seriously considered moving to the US at one point a few years ago.

I'm not one of these people who feels that every American should be held responsible for the actions of their government, but nevertheless, I'm one of millions of people whose lives are indirectly affected for better or worse by the actions of that government, whether we like it or not. Apart from that, I'm genuinely interested in what goes on in The Largest English-Speaking Democracy In The World. I don't expect anyone to be interested in my opinion on American politics, nor should they be - it's a complex subject that's beyond many Americans, never mind Brits. But I don't understand why any American would be so insecure as to get upset over the mere fact someone like me might actually have an opinion on it. It'd be one thing if I was able influence the direction of American politics in some way, but I can't, and I don't particularly want to anyway. So why even worry?

• So why even worry?

Because Brian is a notoriously moany cunt...

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    Seriously, it's none of your business. Go back to your own country and complain about them instead.

WORST POST EVA

You sound uneducated.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Heh. I should know better by now than to chime in on threads like this, but...

I've said this before, and now I'm going to say it again; I like America, and I like Americans. Whenever I've visited the US, I've found its citizens (amongst them, a couple of people who frequent this board) to be warm, friendly, generous and hospitable. I even seriously considered moving to the US at one point a few years ago.

I'm not one of these people who feels that every American should be held responsible for the actions of their government, but nevertheless, I'm one of millions of people whose lives are indirectly affected for better or worse by the actions of that government, whether we like it or not. Apart from that, I'm genuinely interested in what goes on in The Largest English-Speaking Democracy In The World. I don't expect anyone to be interested in my opinion on American politics, nor should they be - it's a complex subject that's beyond many Americans, never mind Brits. But I don't understand why any American would be so insecure as to get upset over the mere fact someone like me might actually have an opinion on it. It'd be one thing if I was able influence the direction of American politics in some way, but I can't, and I don't particularly want to anyway. So why even worry?

Personally I want to hear what everyone has to say on American and World politics.

America bashing by AMERICANS and foriegners can get tedious though.

• Seriously, it's none of your business. Go back to your own country and complain about them instead.

You sound uneducated.

Of course he's uneducated. He's American... that's how they like to keep it round these parts. They need their people to be nice and dumb. Entertained by television and sports and controlled by the media to fear other people and consume as much stuff that we don't need as humanly possible. That way, people eventually become accustomed to living beyond their means and forever being slaves to credit and banking institutions. If we had a bunch of smart, motivated people running around, the people who run this shit wouldn't be able to do what ever the fuck they wanted without answering to the masses. C'mon... you know this stuff already, no?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    But remember you are living in the nation with gets the most media coverage on the planet - music, film, news, literature and web content are all saturated with information about your nation.

Too bad none of this is even close to being accurate! It's all fantasy, people come to america and expect the streets to be paved in gold. It's poverty, kids dying on the street, non existent health care, racial strife, don't even get started with what we do to the Native population of this country.

Our votes don't even count anyways, it's electoral college bullshit and felons (1 out of 3 black men in ameirca will be incarcerated in their lives) can't vote.

It's geezers and the 1% driving this nation of miscreants and the iq deficient.

Besides everyone knows that if voting really changed anything it would have been made illegal by now anyways.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    You're all getting heated on this, BUT......
    every country and its' people have something to answer for.
    A considered view on the worst political/social point of some countries:

America: ignorant of the countries upon which they wage war
    Germany: started the worst wars for the worst reasons
    Japan: a history of picking the wrong side in a war
    France: a history of bottling it in wars
    UK: lost the ability to start and finish a war
    Australia: good in wars but every couple of words they string together sounds like a question?
    China: unclear on her war policy, but for a country with tons of people and an ancient and noble civilisation, I can't think of one good record that ever came out of that place

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    with a bit of luck, this thread will drive away the last remaining international contingent of this site.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Is that the erstwhile Obscure_Addict? I was under the impression he collected acetates. Many, many, many, many rare, unreleased acetates.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I would hardly consider hawaii to be part of the US anyways... I mean, yeah, its there, but thats about it. Brits are probably more affected by U.S. politics than hawaiians are. jesus. The only reason we made hawaii a state anyways is because our flag looked wack with only 49 stars.

hawaii = LOL

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Why do foreigners comment on American elections?

Because they care as much about your opinions as you do about theirs.

Seriously, it's none of your business. Go back to your own country and complain about them instead.

Even after returning to their own countries, they will still have opinions on American elections and other topics. Will that still upset you? Maybe you'd like to have foreigners move to another planet and only comment on elections on their own planet?

Now a question for you:

Why do Americans comment on foreigners and their opinions?

Seriously, it's none of your business. Go back to your own country (which is NOT the US by the way) and complain about them instead. That way all foreigners will remain where they belong, in foreign lands with their unwanted foreign opinions.

• Just an LTL (long time lurker) but why do record nerds talk about politics so much on a music board?

Back to the records guys!!

Should I just

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I don't know. It must be for the same reason people with no records post on this message board.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    why do Hawaiians comment on southern rap?

seriously, it's none of your business....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The question remains. Why does Brian even comment on hip hop?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I just made a huge post with a few glasses of wine in me, so I deleted it. Cause it was too easy to get upset with this thread. I mean, come on, this Brian guy even accused me of "not liking black people".

boy, would that have been a wild, grammatically handicapped orgy of words i'd like to have read.
    c'mon, we all know elise likes black people. i mean, duurrrrr.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

So Brian...are you talking about the US elections? I'm asking because there are 35 American countries. Or do you reserve yourself the right to comment on the elections of all American countries?

• Maybe you'd like to have foreigners move to another planet and only comment on elections on their own planet?

No, that would drive the costs of outsourcing American jobs for American products way up. I mean, the shipping alone would be totally cost-prohibitive. The entire industry of exploitation/sweatshops/child labor would be ruined. America can't have that. We just need you to shut up and get back to work.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I can't believe you guys are taking this thread seriously.

Ah, you say that now...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Maybe you'd like to have foreigners move to another planet and only comment on elections on their own planet?

No, that would drive the costs of outsourcing American jobs for American products way up. I mean, the shipping alone would be totally cost-prohibitive. The entire industry of exploitation/sweatshops/child labor would be ruined. America can't have that. We just need you to shut up and get back to work.

Did that just happen?

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts

• Maybe you'd like to have foreigners move to another planet and only comment on elections on their own planet?

Did that just happen?

Nah, dummy, it's been happening for a long-ass time.... you didn't know?

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Because we envy your constitution!