Martin Luther King Tribute Songs

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Looking for any tributes to the Doctor that I may not have.Does anyone have the Marvin Gaye version of "Abraham, Martin & John"or any other interesting versions? Here is the Smokey Robinson version:Really looking for any direct MLK tributes, too. Anyone have tracksfrom the Tommy Butler "Selma" LP to share? Or any great soul tributes?Here's the Big Mama Thornton track on Rojac, "Heaven Will Welcome You Dr. King":I think I may have posted these last year, but I haven't found anyothers in my stacks so far - if I can dig any more out, I will post.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I was gonna post the same request.

I am looking, particuliar, for any JAZZ tributes to Dr King to play on a radio show tomorrow evening.

Any contributions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Chris Kenner - Memories of a King Pts 1&2 (Instant)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I am looking, particuliar, for any JAZZ tributes to Dr King to play on a radio show tomorrow evening.

I don't own it to post up, but maybe somebody has the Nathan Davis
    "Suite For Dr Martin Luther King" that they could hook you up with,

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Chris Kenner - Memories of a King Pts 1&2 (Instant)

Thanks, Lar*y. If anyone can post this up, it would be awesome.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    American Roots on NPR did a tribute last night. check out the archives. but i think only a portion was MLK tribute.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Nathan Davis -- Suite for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Martin's Funeral

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    For Soul On Ice:

"I'm Serving Time" by Rodger Collins.

Okay, the tone of this may be a little too upbeat and jaunty compared to everything else mentioned - it's this blues song about a black man who gets carried off to jail on some trumped-up charge he doesn't deserve, and mentions Martin Luther King as a sign that justice will surely come. This is a heady subject for an R&B song in 1967, since most mainstream black artists weren't doing the social consciousness thing then. It was the B-side of his Galaxy single "She's Looking Good."

And to tie in with that other thread about "Records That Saw The Future"...this is the only soul record I can think of that mentioned King's name while he was still alive. Yes, it was a flip side, but still...

For both Soul On Ice AND Mr. Matthew:

I forget the title, but there is a fairly well-known song by Nina Simone...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Leroy Hutson "Time Brings On A Change"

• I forget the title, but there is a fairly well-known song by Nina Simone...

"Why? (The King of Love is Dead)" from the live album 'Nuff Said on RCA
    written by Nina's bass player Gene Taylor, recorded the evening following the murder of Dr King

great song

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Bro Will Hairston - 'alabama bus' on JVB - 'march on montgomery' on knowles

Bilesse Singers - 'memories of dr king' on bilesse

Unity Gospel Experience - 'free at last'

• I don't recall as I haven't seen it in a while, but is there any direct mention of the assasination during the James Brown Boston Garden concert?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    cryin' in the streets by george perkins & the silver stars...yes? no?

• What was the one song/video,from 84/85,that had New Editon and Melle Mel in it,i just can't think right now of who else was in it.

Was it called "Kings Holiday"

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    If your looking for a jazz feel, I highly recommend this one... mine has a poster of the front cover which is the same picture and size as the album...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ghetto Reality & Nancy Dupree (Folkways) - docta king

• where the hell did my post go?

Roy Ayers - "Holiday" is a nice one
    MArva whitney - "im tired, im tired, im tired" a track with general social commentary, not a fully fledged king tribute. but she salutes him in the last verse "a soul man died for us, dr. king if i remember 10 years ago he was ridin in the rear of the bus" dont have the exact words in mind but its something like that

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    If your looking for a jazz feel, I highly recommend this one... mine has a poster of the front cover which is the same picture and size as the album...

I actually found that one in my collection last nite and played "Motherless Child" off it. Forgot I had it.

Its really good, too. Upchurch, Jennings, Gene Barge, Stepney.

Interesting story behind that record, too.

Does yours have the "portrait suitable for framing" insert?