METER MADE

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
yeah, so i just ran into the meter made dood of pico. he basically runs up and down the block doctoring up the meters so they FAIL and noone has to pay on the block. dude is a real community servant. thanks meter dude!!!

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Someone here in Atlanta started stealing the parking meters right out of the ground just to get the coins out. WHY? To buy drugs!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    yeah, so i just ran into the meter made dood of pico. he basically runs up and down the block doctoring up the meters so they FAIL and noone has to pay on the block. dude is a real community servant. thanks meter dude!!!

this guys sounds pretty awesome. i dont get what he does exactly? how does he make this happen?

• Someone here in Atlanta started stealing the parking meters right out of the ground just to get the coins out. WHY? To buy drugs!

oh yeah, that happens here too. but the meter made dude is a real prince because he is doing a civic duty for the people of the city. not just gettting some corn for his own stupid pockets.

• yeah, so i just ran into the meter made dood of pico. he basically runs up and down the block doctoring up the meters so they FAIL and noone has to pay on the block. dude is a real community servant. thanks meter dude!!!

this guys sounds pretty awesome. i dont get what he does exactly? how does he make this happen?

i couldnt really tell but he was basically going on down the line sticking somehting in the coin slots.

in the south of market area of san francisco, the kids at the community center on 6th and mission used to make a run of the block doing this to the meters in sf. but that was a pretty easy hack or whatever cuz sf still had them old coin dial jobbies u know like the types of shits that are on the m&m machine at the front of the grocery store.

yeah, but this dude is working on some digital meters out here. and he makes it so the digital readout on the meter flashes red and read FAIL. which means the LADOT dudes will drive right past ur car.

i couldnt really tell but he was basically going on down the line sticking somehting in the coin slots.

in the south of market area of san francisco, the kids at the community center on 6th and mission used to make a run of the block doing this to the meters in sf. but that was a pretty easy hack or whatever cuz sf still had them old coin dial jobbies u know like the types of shits that are on the m&m machine at the front of the grocery store.

yeah, but this dude is working on some digital meters out here. and he makes it so the digital readout on the meter flashes red and read FAIL. which means the LADOT dudes will drive right past ur car.

hmm, seems like this wouldnt work right. in my city, you get a ticket if you park at a broken meter.

• in my city, you get a ticket if you park at a broken meter.

Damn, that's cold.

• yeah, so i just ran into the meter made dood of pico. he basically runs up and down the block doctoring up the meters so they FAIL and noone has to pay on the block. dude is a real community servant. thanks meter dude!!!

speaking of SF meters, nowadays we got the digital readouts and shit.

but have you ever noticed how some of them have little card slots next to the coin slots? like you can get a parking meter debit card somewhere and use it at the meters. but I've never seen/heard of such a card. what it do?

• In LA you get a ticket if you park at a broken meter... i think thats the law everywhere... so dudes cant go all vigalante like that. But i guess if he hits enough and noone has anywhere to park the cops will fold.

• In LA you get a ticket if you park at a broken meter... i think thats the law everywhere...

nah in SF you are supposed to have the right to park there, subject to the maximum time limit on the meter.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Anyone remember when thieves stole like...2/3rds of the parking meters in downtown Berkeley?

FREE PARKING FOR DAYZ.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    In LA you get a ticket if you park at a broken meter...

I believe this is correct.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

"A broken meter will not allow you to put money in it, thereby causing you to get a ticket that the Parking Violations office often dismisses after you get said ticket. Parking in a spot with a broken meter is something beyond your control. Even the Bureau says that the city is well aware that there are many broken meters and a limited amount of spaces to park in, and so they happily encourage parkers afflicted by the "wait and debate" disease (that often hits drivers debating if it's really worth parking in front of a broken meter) to just go ahead and park there.

The bottom line is this, people -- it is totally 100% legal to park in front of a broken meter and not put any money in. You just may get a ticket. And you just may have to fight it. And you'll probably win."

http://www.laist.com/2005/05/03/laists_solved_mysteries_broken_parking_meters.php

• Anyone remember when thieves stole like...2/3rds of the parking meters in downtown Berkeley?

FREE PARKING FOR DAYZ.

YES. that was rad.

"A broken meter will not allow you to put money in it, thereby causing you to get a ticket that the Parking Violations office often dismisses after you get said ticket. Parking in a spot with a broken meter is something beyond your control. Even the Bureau says that the city is well aware that there are many broken meters and a limited amount of spaces to park in, and so they happily encourage parkers afflicted by the "wait and debate" disease (that often hits drivers debating if it's really worth parking in front of a broken meter) to just go ahead and park there.

The bottom line is this, people -- it is totally 100% legal to park in front of a broken meter and not put any money in. You just may get a ticket. And you just may have to fight it. And you'll probably win."

http://www.laist.com/2005/05/03/laists_solved_mysteries_broken_parking_meters.php

no thanks. As if I need another errand, writing appeals letters.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Its meter MAID, and they are the scum of the earth. I mean mug them hard every time I see one.

remember that clown that would go around town and feed peoples meters so that they never ran out. The city wasn't making any money so they made the clown stop, but I don't see how he was breaking any laws.

That clown was a hero.

• no thanks. As if I need another errand, writing appeals letters.

LOL @ writing appeal letters for parking citations.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    around here the meter ladies are so shady they just drive around writing down license plate numbers off regular street parked cars - then you get hit with the charge for a ticket you never knew you had AND the overdue fees.

• speaking of SF meters, nowadays we got the digital readouts and shit.

but have you ever noticed how some of them have little card slots next to the coin slots? like you can get a parking meter debit card somewhere and use it at the meters. but I've never seen/heard of such a card. what it do?

It's kind of like Fast Trak or somewhat like a Fast Pass. It's a pre-pay card that you can use at spaces that have those slots. I'm imagining most of those spaces are downtown in the financial area. It says there are "23,000 single-space and 250 multi-space electronic meters in San Francisco."

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/pmeter/parkingcard.htm

not a bad idea really. If you park in pay spaces a lot you wouldn't have to worry about change.

I'd also like to add that a quarter will get you like 12 minutes or less in San Francisco. In South San Francisco a quarter gets you something like 40 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes. For about two weeks during the holidays all of the meters had cards inside of them that read "Happy Holidays, Park free for two hours." One of the benefits of living in a smaller city.

• Got a ticket the day after Christmas for street cleaning right outside our place. "Oh wait...it IS Wednesday! Damn."

But when we went to pay the 40 bucks, my wife noticed that they mistyped our license plate (they put a double A and there's only one) and next to VIN, it said, "COULD NOT READ VIN."

No need to pay that one.

• Got a ticket the day after Christmas for street cleaning right outside our place. "Oh wait...it IS Wednesday! Damn."

But when we went to pay the 40 bucks, my wife noticed that they mistyped our license plate (they put a double A and there's only one) and next to VIN, it said, "COULD NOT READ VIN."

No need to pay that one.

it's a Christmas miracle!!!

or maybe meter dude/dudette had a bit of the x-mas spirit in them.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Meter Maid = Scum

Here in Houston, I've witnessed them standing in front of meters waiting for them to expire so they can write tickets the second they do. They don't give a shit if the meters are broken, you park there and you're getting a ticket.

Why is that funny? It's worked for me several times.

• no thanks. As if I need another errand, writing appeals letters.

A) Seems like a lot of effort for a $15-20 ticket that doesn't affect your record or insurance.

B) Every state I have lived in, you just go to the traffic court magistrate's office and ask for a pass and they'll do it a couple times for you.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    the worst is how now, if you pull out of the spot, the meter knows you left and resets back to zero, so you cant slip in and get the remainder of the guy ahead of you's time.

• the worst is how now, if you pull out of the spot, the meter knows you left and resets back to zero, so you cant slip in and get the remainder of the guy ahead of you's time.

Really? Wow. That's some bogus shit.

A) Seems like a lot of effort for a $15-20 ticket that doesn't affect your record or insurance.

B) Every state I have lived in, you just go to the traffic court magistrate's office and ask for a pass and they'll do it a couple times for you.

not in cali. All of the tickets I've gotten were at least $40.

• Damn, that's harsh. For a parking ticket? I guess I'd be mad enough to write a letter too.

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    i just got a 100$ parking ticket hollaaaa

$5 here.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

$5 here.

I'd never pay another Frickin' meter in my life if that was how much a ticket was in Texas.