XXL fires Elliot Wilson?

13»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    lol at faux rillz 'dont write about women' stance

Well, if it isn't Shawwna's houseboy.

I'm all for writing about women--but please find some that are doing interesting things to write about.
    good thing you singled them out from the male rappers :-p

It is a distinct and sex-specific phenomenon.

Nobody without an agenda of promoting female rappers could possibly justify devoting page space to Remy Ma or Jackie-O. It's not like they have fans.

I've never heard of Remy Ma or Jackie-O, but i like some of Eve's songs on her first record. Haven't heard any of her other records.

And when it comes to female rappers with their own sit-coms, Eve was the king. I am perhaps the only white 30something dude that is waiting for the Eve DVDs to come out. That show was a traditional situation comedy with some decent writing. Yeah, it was mad corny at times, but that's what a sitcom is. It made me laugh, and it presented issues involving male-female relationships, male-male relationships, female-female relationships in ways that rang true to me, truer than anyother sit com I've seen in a long time. I was pissed when the C-W or whatever it is called that gobbled up WB and UPN cut Eve from the lineup.

Well TV Guide should definitely devote some coverage to her, then...

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    The reality is peoples interest in Hip Hop has dried up.

a bit. I believe its definitely thinned out.
    based on ....

1. Sales
    2. Most of the bigger producers are trying to do pop music not rap music
    3. Most Rap concerts/shows are not even close to selling out
    4. talking to kids (their supposed target audience)
    5. The music has become disposable so to younger generations so there is less attachment, its lost its edge
    6. Its part of a cycle for any genre of music its just at a low point and will probably go lower before getting better

off the top of my head.

But how could you be so certain of this
    Its not like you run a hip hop store
    do you?
    doesnt he work for a record store in LA where their best selling cds were like skyzoo or some bullshit

i just figured he worked for the la version of undergroundhiphop.com

He informed us some time ago that La Coka Nostra was what's really at his store.

It is, and actually if you want fans who actually BUY shit in LA then you go for groups like La Coka Nostra and Psycho Realm/Sick Symphonies. I will agree the clientele we have is probably different than your hollywood or chain store clientele, but i can tell you that the ONLY people buying mainstream CDs are the over 24 crowd. Virtually no kids of any ethnic background in our customer base are spending money on music.

And Deej, talk to any show promoter that has been doing shows for any length of time (over 8 years) and you will realize that rap shows just don't make money like they used to. Swizz Beatz sold 1 ticket at the house of blues... 1 ticket. thats pathetic, after having a huge single (and yes i know its swizz beats, but 1 ticket c'mon...). All i am saying is there is a downward trend right now and its a combination of factors. Ignoring it is just stupid.

And please the old man argument is so Frickin' lame at this point, the disposable comment is not referring to the music so much as it is referring to the PERSPECTIVE that raps said audience has regarding music in general. Disposable.

Also add on to that, Virgin Megastore just closed one of their two hollywood locations. I am guessing that it was overkill since its a dying business model, but to me that speaks to the fact that the area used to be able to support two virgin mega stores, tower records,and ameoba at least for a few years, now its one virgin store and amoeba.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    if you're talking about what kids are going to buy, electronic distribution is the only hope. cds, dvd's whatever other physical medium you can think of is completely dead.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Also, cosign with the whole obsessed with gadgets thing. that seems to be all anybody is into anymore.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    if you're talking about what kids are going to buy, electronic distribution is the only hope. cds, dvd's whatever other physical medium you can think of is completely dead.

Maybe eventually. Not currently. We're not talking 8-tracks here, after all.