edited January 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    who?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    So ill.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Expect XXL to start shifting towards becoming a...

...lifestyle magazine.

As J-Smooth put it - "his wife's vision won" (referring to Wilson's wife, Danyel Smith, whose vision for Vibe magazine in the '90s has become the dominant urban mag format).

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Expect XXL to start shifting towards becoming a...

...lifestyle magazine.

Oh, Christ.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    smart business move if they do make that push to "lifestyle" over hip-hop.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

how so? Isnt there already like 8 fuckin lifestyle rags out there?

R.I.P. Magazines man.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

R.I.P. Magazines man.
    'lifestyle' doesnt mean what you dudes think it does

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

R.I.P. Magazines man.

ALOT of XXL ad revenue is label based and they aren't spending like they used to. The money is drying up in rap is all.

• st*bb-doogie, a rapper was just down here annoying the hell out of me.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Wilson's wife, Danyel Smith

I didn't know that.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Is Murder Dog still around?

• i like yellow..

I'll buy whatever new mag he's at.

XXL has started really sucking the last year or so. that could just be the music though.

R.I.P. Magazines man.

ALOT of XXL ad revenue is label based and they aren't spending like they used to. The money is drying up in rap is all.

Sure but that doesn't mean a mag like XXL wouldn't still be viable. Pity - I really doubt the mag is going to survive this transition very well. I'm not suggesting it will fold next month, only that I don't think XXL has a deep enough talent pool to go urban lifestyle. Even Vibe is just barely scraping by and they pioneered the shit.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

R.I.P. Magazines man.

Sure but that doesn't mean a mag like XXL wouldn't still be viable. Pity - I really doubt the mag is going to survive this transition very well. I'm not suggesting it will fold next month, only that I don't think XXL has a deep enough talent pool to go urban lifestyle. Even Vibe is just barely scraping by and they pioneered the shit.

vibe is dead. Did you see the tabloid issue?

As i said... R.I.P. magazines.

score another one for teh internets.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    R.I.P. XXL, then

The last mag standing--at least it was the last print source that I turned to for information on current rap

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    XXL has a pretty strong online presence though, right? I imagine they'll keep that going. It's not the same as a magazine of course, but it keeps them from falling off the face of the earth.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    R.I.P. XXL, then

The last mag standing--at least it was the last print source that I turned to for information on current rap

Surprised you don't read Ozone.

R.I.P. XXL, then

You can't get it up here.

I appreciate the coverage that they provide to certain artists/phenomena, but you've got to admit the writing is awful.

XXL has a pretty strong online presence though, right? I imagine they'll keep that going. It's not the same as a magazine of course, but it keeps them from falling off the face of the earth.

Used to be a lot better when Brandan Frederick ran the site.

Now that eskay runs it, all of their "news" consists of links to things related to Joe Budden, Joel Ortiz, Sean Price and other boring-azz NY type dudes that nobody cares about.

And Noz and Elliott were the onyl bloggers they had worth checking for.

R.I.P. XXL, then

I appreciate the coverage that they provide to certain artists/phenomena, but you've got to admit the writing is awful.

It's mostly interviews though, so you get a lot of info straight from the artists' mouths.

R.I.P. XXL, then

It's mostly interviews though, so you get a lot of info straight from the artists' mouths.

Yes, but conducting and editing an interview is also a skill that nobody at that magazine seems to possess--a lot of them are just painful to read and are completely interchangable.

Apples and oranges. For one thing, XXL's site (let alone the mag) has not been the best at providing up-to-the-minute news/gossip/whatever. This is the one area where the web has proven itself superior to print, for obvious reasons. XXL's site was a nice complement to the mag - they've been one of the few print sources I've seen that made some smart moves regarding blogs - but at the end of the day, what made the magazine work wasn't its news reporting but 1) its artist access, especially after taking over the #1 spot from The Source back in the '90s and 2) relatively well-written features and conducted interviews. If XXL really is shifting over to more of a lifestyle mag, it may not necessarily lose #1 (bigger artists these days are all about lifestyle branding anyways) but I'd expect to see #2 take a hit. As noted, there are bigger and better magazines doing the same thing and hell, Harris just fired the guy whose wife helps run the competition. Vibe may or may not bring Elliot onboard there but they've created a terrific incentive for the YN to find ways to smash on his old employer.

Apples and oranges. For one thing, XXL's site (let alone the mag) has not been the best at providing up-to-the-minute news/gossip/whatever. This is the one area where the web has proven itself superior to print, for obvious reasons. XXL's site was a nice complement to the mag - they've been one of the few print sources I've seen that made some smart moves regarding blogs - but at the end of the day, what made the magazine work wasn't its news reporting but 1) its artist access, especially after taking over the #1 spot from The Source back in the '90s and 2) relatively well-written features and conducted interviews.

I agree--they should have abolished all of those little sections upfront that nobody reads and that seem totally antiquated in the internet era and just focused on features awhile ago. And move away from the capsule review format--nobody needs a reviewer to tell them whether or not to buy an album anymore, so there should be room for lengthier and more provocative work there. I like their year end love/hate format--they should do that every month. Or maybe do A/B point/counterpoint reviews from two different people.

And never run another piece on any of the following:

Sheek Louch, Red Cafe, Papoose, Joe Budden, Joell Ortiz and all the other tri-state rappers that nobody cares about

Remy Ma, Jackie-O, Eve and all other female rappers that nobody cares about

Bow-Wow: rap fans don't buy his music, so why does he get a feature every time he drops?

R.I.P. XXL, then

Yes, but conducting and editing an interview is also a skill that nobody at that magazine seems to possess--a lot of them are just painful to read and are completely interchangable.

Seems like you're being too harsh.

For me, I'd rather have Ozone as it is over any of its over-corporate, let's-send-in-our-tourist-writing-technician-for-a-weekend-retreat competitors.

The reality is peoples interest in Hip Hop has dried up.

• At least Elliot Wilson knew wtf "Ego Trippin'" is.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lol at faux rillz 'dont write about women' stance

lol at faux rillz 'dont write about women' stance

Well, if it isn't Shawwna's houseboy.

I'm all for writing about women--but please find some that are doing interesting things to write about.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    And never run another piece on any of the following:

Sheek Louch, Red Cafe, Papoose, Joe Budden, Joell Ortiz and all the other tri-state rappers that nobody cares about

Remy Ma, Jackie-O, Eve and all other female rappers that nobody cares about

Bow-Wow: rap fans don't buy his music, so why does he get a feature every time he drops?

Easy interviews to get?