early WEEKEND FINDS

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Had a good day in East Texas......went in to an Antique Mall at 5:15 and stumbled upon about 10,000 records and every last one of them were UK imports....only had 15 minutes before they closed.....will be back in the morning....all the below were from various Antique Malls....all $1.00- $3.00 except the Erma Franklin which was $5.00

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    nice finds
    damn. east texas? hmm

"take me away" on that janice record is one of my favorite songs ever

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    VJ's a huge label... they released everything from The Beatles to Wynton Kelly and of course Pat Britt (which, IMO, is a one-tracker)

Yea, but one a one-tracker it is!!

very happy with these dollar bin pulls:

John Wood- Westwood (not many seem to know this local record. sort of a spiritual vibe on it.)

norman connors- dark of light (second press on buddha. very nice spiritual/free jazz session. possibly his best?)

marvin gaye (boy was i sleeping...)

kool and the gang (i had to tape up the cover, but otherwise, what a great funk record!)

dok - oval ('97 Thrill Jockey release. i like this one a lot. here's a description of the music. dok-oval

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

the cover has water and nicotine damage all over there are mushrooms growing from the innersleeve. but the vinyl playes great.

and this one.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    VJ's a huge label... they released everything from The Beatles to Wynton Kelly and of course Pat Britt (which, IMO, is a one-tracker)

Yea, but one a one-tracker it is!!

very happy with these dollar bin pulls:

John Wood- Westwood (not many seem to know this local record. sort of a spiritual vibe on it.)

norman connors- dark of light (second press on buddha. very nice spiritual/free jazz session. possibly his best?)

marvin gaye (boy was i sleeping...)

kool and the gang (i had to tape up the cover, but otherwise, what a great funk record!)

dok - oval ('97 Thrill Jockey release. i like this one a lot. here's a description of the music. dok-oval
    nice pulls especially for a$

as for the marvin i barely go out with out that record

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Got some good scores, thought I'd share...

got some 45's too
    big maybelle - old love never dies/how it lies (rojac)
    uroy - tide is high (state line)
    mongo santamaria - sofrito (vaya)
    betty wright - sweet lovin daddy/girls can't do what the guys do (alston)
    maxayn - check out your mind/good things (capricorn)
    donald austin - crazy legs (westbound)
    elvis presley - do the clam (rca)
    john lee hooker - boogie with hook (abc)
    otis & carla - tramp (stax)
    big youth - ace 90 skank (mafia)
    yellowman & fathead - soldier take over (tanka)
    curtis mayfield - get down/we're a winner (curtom)
    chambers brothers - people get ready (columbia)
    fatback brother bill curtis - dance girl/goin' to see my baby (perception)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That Albert Collins record rules.

Sounds like a drunk Meters.

• arthur conley, the counts, and soul survivors are sealed

This was one of my best days ever.....or luckiest
    they were all priced around $10 each

I like that Howard Tate LP

Prime........great finds........what year is that "All Star Top Hits" from??

Damn, I've been fiending for records lately...a few more from the local shop.

Cannonball Adderley- The price you pay to be free
    Ted Picou Quartet- Experience (private jazz out of San Diego)
    Harold Budd- The White Arcades

• Had a good day in East Texas......went in to an Antique Mall at 5:15 and stumbled upon about 10,000 records and every last one of them were UK imports....only had 15 minutes before they closed.....will be back in the morning....all the below were from various Antique Malls....all $1.00- $3.00 except the Erma Franklin which was $5.00

Man, thats a nice score. I need to make a trip to texas soon!!!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Nice! how much was the arp?

here are some finds from today..

ERIC is apparently a quite sought after LP .. (pop psych) .. I found a sealed copy for cheap but opened it so I could see what the deal is . The record is very good, guitars and drums are really on point and the vocals are pretty cool sometimes. this will go on ebay though.

the young moderns is a nice jazz LP , brahman has a cool break on it and Red Clay is .

haven't checked these yet.

the 45s are Let's Get It On by Winston Samuels and is a really good version.. the dub is nice as well. The Prince Jazzbo is called "Crime Don't Pay" and is definitely a .. tight stuff there. the flip is a heavy slow soul cut by 'Glen Miller' , no not GLENN.

yes! glossy press photo of max !

just listening to this ERIC record and the cut 'Morning Lighthouse' has a guitar solo... really good shit here

• i didnt buy it.. i got it for free from my uncle.. he has tons of synthesizers.. hes playing/played (not shure if he does these days) synth for a norwegian rock group called tnt..

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    f*ck man I passed that shit up today! Looked interested...maybe I'll catch you at the market sometime, nice pull

Garland Green produced by Syl Johnson, arr. by Donny Hathaway?
    Pretty crazy credits. Yes, that is Paul Pierce shooting a freebie.

Nice later Merseybeat sounds on that Monotones, UK band licensed by the
    mostly country label Hickory, probably because the flip is an Everlys cover.

New Order raer, 2 of my favorite tracks by them on 7" ... the Tommy
    Graham is insane "patriotic" country track about beating up hippies, with
    fake crowd cheers (ala Merle Haggard) on all the hot lines.

Eater live 4 track EP, they are the best, so good.

Aussie 80's ramones/garage hybrid, great cover of Shadows of Knight
    "Bad Little Woman," etc.

From the thrift, in a fresh pile of dull Eire imports, was tempted as
    always by some republican folk protest stuff but passed - however
    this was a score, these guys were kings of the "showbands" pre-Beatles
    era, nice clean mono OG irish press, covers of Chuck Berry & Buddy
    Holly songs, "California Sun" and an IRA ballad. Pretty scarce record.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

arthur conley, the counts, and soul survivors are sealed

This was one of my best days ever.....or luckiest
    they were all priced around $10 each

nice! for some reason every time i see that counts record, it's sealed. including yours, ive seen 3 sealed OG copies.

• Nice later Merseybeat sounds on that Monotones, UK band licensed by the
    mostly country label Hickory, probably because the flip is an Everlys cover.

Even though country was their main thing, Hickory sporadically had a few pop-rock releases, like the Newbeats ("Bread & Butter"). In the States, Donovan's records came out on Hickory before he switched over to Epic.

So how was that By George & Co. single on Veep?

f*ck man I passed that shit up today! Looked interested...maybe I'll catch you at the market sometime, nice pull

Hey man . yes it has been a while , I'll probably run into you there at some point sooner or later.

Did you catch anything at the market ?

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Ummm de la soul 3 feet high & rising, Roy Ayers Ubiquity A tear ti a smile, DJ Red Alert promo photo all from that same dude, a few hip hop 12"s on B Boy Records from that dude you got the 12"s from, but F*ck, aint no $500 record, looked like a country record or some shit, how much did dude charge you?

$10 ... i was surprised because he usually likes to price shit high .. i have never seen him sell a record for less than 10 bucks

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Prime........great finds........what year is that "All Star Top Hits" from??

the all star top hits is from 1961...trying to find if it's the original pressing...can anyone help???

• primecuts- if it's a all stars label it is indeed original 1961, if it's a coxsone label it's from '91 despite having an old cover. Even the '91 issue is still kinda rare these days.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Ya hes a prick he had a mini temper tantrum when I was there, started swearing at some guy for trying to bargin with him

just listening to this ERIC record and the cut 'Morning Lighthouse' has a guitar solo... really good shit here

Main black dude is still doing music....took me months to track him down back in the day.....I thought 1/2 the LP was great(the longer cuts) and the rest was

Should still bring 5 bills though.

• Ted Picou Quartet- Experience (private jazz out of San Diego)

"Kwa" is a pretty cool cut.... has a touch of the fela horns in there, funky and in 6/8 no less.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    alot of dudes are straight this week!

pretty geeked myself that i ended this year on a pretty good note. home for the holidays and a mini road trip through norcal yielded these finds all on the cheap.

and when i got home this sweet trade piece was waiting for me in the mail

(thanks d!)

• Damn, I'm gonna have to go digging this week! Yahll are this week!!

Ted Picou Quartet- Experience (private jazz out of San Diego)

"Kwa" is a pretty cool cut.... has a touch of the fela horns in there, funky and in 6/8 no less.

I've only listened to the first side so far, but I like Sleep Walker as well.