Early to Mid 80's Hip-Hop Appreciation!!!

Comments

• Yeah that's it,thank's man..i'll look for that 12" tonight

• isnt anyone from the west coast here? cuz i know a lot of these joints werent big out here. not like these

everlasting bass
    egypt, egypt
    westcoast poplock
    6 in the mornin
    turn out the lights

oh, and i recently heard the breakin and enterin ep. lovely.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    isnt anyone from the west coast here? cuz i know a lot of these joints werent big out here. not like these

everlasting bass
    egypt, egypt
    westcoast poplock
    6 in the mornin
    turn out the lights

oh, and i recently heard the breakin and enterin ep. lovely.

Hey Shig,

on "6 in the Mornin'," and I already mentioned "Everlasting Bass" in my first post. Also, you gotta big up:

-"Doggin' the Wax" and "Reckless"-Ice-T.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• egypt, egypt

Dude still kills it!

- J

• -"Doggin' the Wax" and "Reckless"-Ice-T.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i like that flipside on the doggin the wax. la was killin it in the 80(8)s.

• LL Cool J - I Need A Beat (when this came out, it was the illest shit I'd ever heard)

i had a tape of this off the radio and played it over and over again on christmas eve 85!

z3 MCs - triple threat - this is the raw ish, didn't know they were from bmore

dave dmx - 1 for the treble
    kurtis blow - aj scratch meets davy d
    beastie boys - rock hard
    spyder d - placin the beat
    biz and shante - def fresh crew
    manparish - boogie down bronx
    captian rock - cosmic blast
    stetsasonic - just say stet

• this thread ain??t shit without some mp3??s yo

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

To add on some more:

-"Gotta Be Tough"-MC Shy D.
    -"Domination"-MCs of Rap.
    -"2 Live is What We Are"-2 Live Crew.
    -"Freshest Rhymes in the World"-Jeckyll & Hyde.
    -"Brooklyn's in the House"-Cutmaster DC.
    -"Cruisin'"-Tom Browne (Wha!!!!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LL Cool J - I Need A Beat (when this came out, it was the illest shit I'd ever heard)

i had a tape of this off the radio and played it over and over again on christmas eve 85!

z3 MCs - triple threat - this is the raw ish, didn't know they were from bmore

kurtis blow - aj scratch meets davy d
    spyder d - placin the beat

manparish - boogie down bronx

Nes used to play the shit outta those on Fresh Trax back in the day. Here's some other favorites of mine from that era.

Whodini "Big Mouth"
    Boogie Boys "Fly Girl"
    UTFO "Kangol and Doc" (the whole album with Leader of the Pack was dope to me, mixmaster ice and jmj were my favorite dj's at the time)
    Sir Mix a Lot "Let's G" (some fake Egyptian Lover shit but it was banging)
    Rodney O and Joe Cooley "Nobody Disses Me"
    Ice T "Reckless"
    Dream Team "Dream Team's in the House"

I have some old tapes with Fresh Trax on em from the mid 80's somewhere. I gotta dig em out.

• I have some old tapes with Fresh Trax on em from the mid 80's somewhere. I gotta dig em out.

i've got a bunch of kfox and kcmu tapes too! one has "danny's groove" on it that i am supposed to find for d!

what the hell ever happened to mixmaster ice? remember the mix-a-lot cut "roxanne gets cut" and he talks shit about ice only scratching "change the beat" 1/16th?

the LA dream team - rockberry jam!

• I have some old tapes with Fresh Trax on em from the mid 80's somewhere. I gotta dig em out.

i've got a bunch of kfox and kcmu tapes too! one has "danny's groove" on it that i am supposed to find for d!

what the hell ever happened to mixmaster ice? remember the mix-a-lot cut "roxanne gets cut" and he talks shit about ice only scratching "change the beat" 1/16th?

the LA dream team - rockberry jam!

Damn i would interested in hearing all the old local music spotlights off of kcmu. Mixmaster Ice was killing that scratch! yo yo yo yo yo yo yo off the roxanne bonus beats was I think Danny was showing me a video of him djing in Tacoma from the 80's.

• Captain Rock - "Cosmic Glide" (1982)

This has always been one of my top jams. It's definitely corny and campy, but when he drops the "please order me a spaceburger" line I always smile.

• Im Down - The Beastie Boys

personally i would not include this song in this discussion but do you have any idea how big a hit this schitt would've been if it dropped back when it was supposed to??? russell and rick would've been even richerer

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    this thread ain??t shit without some mp3??s yo

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

-"Freshest Rhymes in the World"-Jeckyll & Hyde.

Waiting for this to pop up! MP3 request please! Way too young for the thrilla in manilla but I'll never forget dr. jekyll vs. godzilla. I also liked transformation too, they had some appealing lyrics for kids.

My tastes are probably immature from the commercial comps like this I discovered a lot of music on, but to contribute,

Sparkys my turn and he's my dj
    def jef- on the real tip
    whistle- just buggin'
    dana dane- nightmares
    epmd- so whacha sayin'
    kartoon crew- inspector gadget
    eric b & rakim- eric b is president
    run dmc- you be illin
    beastie boys-slow & low

Also, everything was freddy movies for me, thus I have braindead appreciation for any track nightmare related, but gregory d & mannie freshs freddy song, I still go bananas for real to hear, but I got unquestionable love for any song in line w/ the freddy phenomenon...The slowed down voice was the icing on the cake! 'You're the body I'm the brain!'

welcome to primetime bitch!

Who did the song slamming doug e fresh to 6 minutes about holes in his shoes? thr-thr-through? thr-thr-thr-thr-thr-thr-thr-through. Is that Supernature?

Theres many more if I wrack the brain, but I might transcend from slightly antiquated and corny to straight up corny altogether from memories of bad shit sounding amazing, though a lot of it I'd still go to bat for, especially a little .

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I do apologize if I indulged in a little late 80s in the thread, but I was too young to draw the lines, I couldn't really tell you when exactly any shit came out, just rough estimates really.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im Down - The Beastie Boys

personally i would not include this song in this discussion but do you have any idea how big a hit this schitt would've been if it dropped back when it was supposed to??? russell and rick would've been even richerer

I have a radio interview w/ UltraMagnetic @ WNYU Rock This(P-Fine) in like 88/89. And Livio G the Dj plays this song on College radio. It was probably a promo copy they got.

But Yeah this song would been popular as hell. The Beatles dont play that shit.

• worse em - triple m bass
    dougie fresh - la di da di/the show
    fab 5 freddy - change the beat
    west st mob - livin in the fast lane
    roxanne shante - runaway/queen of rox
    uh, what was the group that were kids and did the song - tragedy?
    sparky d vs the playgirls - the battle
    dr dre and cli-n-tel - surgery
    gigolo tony - the hokey pokey
    2 live crew - ghetto style djs/throw the d
    the showboys - drag rap

and on and on....

• Trying to think of some joints not already mentioned (i think)...

Eric B and Rakim - My Meldody
    Kool Kyle and Billy Bill - Back to the Old School
    Pumpkin ft. All Stars - King of the Beat
    Boogie Boys - You Ain't Fresh
    Show Boys - Drag Rap
    Original Concept - Pump That Bass, Knowledge Me, etc.
    Divine Sounds - Do or Die (Bed Stuy)
    Just Ice - Back to the Old School (uses a lot of smaples, but all stabs)
    Whodini - Five Minutes of Funk, Friends
    Run DMC - Krush Groove 3
    Kurtis Blow - If I Ruled the World

Huge on:

Boogie Boys - Fly Girl
    Run DMC - Together Forever
    Mantronix joints
    the electro joints mentioned
    Fat Boys 1st record
    others i'm forgetting right now...

I have a radio interview w/ UltraMagnetic @ WNYU Rock This(P-Fine) in like 88/89. And Livio G the Dj plays this song on College radio. It was probably a promo copy they got.

Yup. I think it woulda been bigger than Fight For Your Right even. Drunken frat boy catnip

Im Down - The Beastie Boys

Yup. I think it woulda been bigger than Fight For Your Right even. Drunken frat boy catnip

I actually played this for a fraternity back in college and dudes went apeshit.

how can i not even know this joint? mp3?

I went to to middle school and high sckool w/ the co-producer's daughter. Mr. Fair was good friends w/ Ken "Spyder" Webb who was a big 70's Disco DJ and 80's radio personality who made the Nucleus group.

• I went to to middle school and high sckool w/ the co-producer's daughter. Mr. Fair was good friends w/ Ken "Spyder" Webb who was a big 70's Disco DJ and 80's radio personality who made the Nucleus group.

Thats crazy man. My only personal connection is that this was the first piece of music that I ever bought. I got the cassette when I was 11 or 12, and I was a little wierded out by the space-funk electro jams. I thought it would all sound exactly like Jam On It. But I listened to it over and over because I only had two other tapes (by the beatles) that my dad had given me. I've been buying music at a rapid clip ever since.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    SuperDuper Important Piece of work = Malcolm X - No Sell Out???

Mantronix
    Frick 'N' Frack You Shouldn't Have Done It
    Fantasy Three
    WIZZARDS OF ROCK
    Spoonie Gee
    Mikey D & The LA Posse
    MC Shy D
    Spyder D
    Byron Davis & The Fresh Krew
    CYBOTRON
    Double Image-The Storm
    DYNAMITE TWO
    T Ski Valley
    T LA Rock

Could go on for awhile.

how can i not even know this joint? mp3?

• how can i not even know this joint? mp3?

ha! good looking out.... yeah i can see why that would have been the cut back then...

• this is my kind of world....some of these have already been metioned but here are some of my favs from '80-'87 with ill beats and rhymes:

Trickeration-Western Gangster Town
    Ray Rock & KC-Incredible Ray b/w Freestyle (so hardcore!!)
    Ultimate III-What Are We Gonna Do About It
    Harmony-No Joke
    Co Crush-fresh, wild, fly and Bold (super classic!)
    Fearless Four-Fearless Freestyle
    Disco 4-Throwdown
    Disco 4-We're at the Party
    Treacherous 3-Gotta Rock
    Dr Rocx and Co-Girlfriends, Boyfriends
    Shante-Bite This (is this the hardest beat in the world or what!?!)
    Stetsasonic-My Rhyme
    Grandmixer D.st-Cuts It Up
    LL-Breakthrough
    Almighty 3-To The Other MCs
    Hollis Crew-It's The Beat
    Freddy B & The Mighty Mic Masters-it's the Hip Hop
    G Force-Feel The Force
    Divine Sounds-The Circus
    Rappermatical 5-Party People
    Project Future-Ray Gun Nomics
    Spanish Fly-Spanglish

these are mostly all records that I still find ways to incorporate in my sets regularly. Some of these work well on my dance nights actually....

you can include just about anything by Mantronix or Marley produced in there...

I know im forgetting lots more...