best cheap turntable for non-DJs? (+ LA-R ques)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I'm wondering if people have recommendations for a simple turntable to use at home for non-DJs? I don't really trust those $100 USB TTs but maybe they're better than I think.Also, any places in L.A. folks would recommend to look? My aunt wants one to play 78s and I figure she can bag something for around $100 but she doesn't want to mail order it. Thanks!

Comments

• west LA music. theyll beat any price on the innernet or anywhere. but u gotta bring in proof.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    why don't you get a used direct drive one???

• ps

dont get those usb joints. my gp3 is built stronger.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Hey Spanky,

I used to have a Technics SLBD22 for home use which I really liked. I just got a nice Grado needle for it ($60) and had no problems. Should be able to get one pretty cheap on ebay ($20-40). Record handle returns after side is finished (not sure why I added this however I really liked that it stopped and returned the arm):

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    why don't you get a used direct drive one???

My aunt is pushing 70. She just wants to play some 78s; she's not trying to get her pitch-control, two-click flares or whatever else on. A belt-drive is fine so long as the sound quality is decent.

Thanks for the recs Shig.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hey Dub,

When you start talking about 78's, I'm sure price can get a bit funny. Used would be a safe bet. The Technics model above is a nice cheap TT. I have one as a back up, but its direct drive. Check out vinyl asylum for leads on a table to play 78's

peace

h

• a friend of mine copped a sweet suitcase-style portable on craigslist for like $50.

• those all-in-one units that look like old timey radios play 78s and dont sound too bad either...plus you can get them at target.