Best Drum Books (We talking about practice?!)

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Just dug these up out of the closet. Haven't practiced (for real) in so long. There was another classic rudiment book that I know I have somewhere around here too. Anyone else have some books like these worth checking out?I used to love running though these books back in the day. My site reading game is shite, compared to the highschool dayz...So, I'd love some suggestions now that I'm officially practicing again..."We talking about practice?! Practice, man.......practice?!"

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    You're at the same level as I am. I have the Jim Chapin book. I haven't got past the first few pages though, since I'm already working on a couple of books: "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone (exercises which use the rudiments - flams, paradiddles, single/double/triplet strokes - in various applicable combinations) and "4 Way Coordination" (forgot the author's name. I swore I mentioned it in another thread, though). vicfirth.com has some useful stuff, too. Get the Groove Essentials poster. Other than that, I try to come up with my own polyrhythm combinations, making my own tabs using an Excel spreadsheets

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    So I assume you really like drums?

or is this all a schtick?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    You're at the same level as I am. I have the Jim Chapin book. I haven't got past the first few pages though...

That Chapin book is a must for anyone looking to free themselves in jazz. It's great. The drum teacher who assigned that book to me had me run through that entire book almost. I used to be able to kill the majority of that book effortlessly and now I'm back to square one, pretty much. That's what I get for focusing entirely on scratching and that shit for the last year or so.

Good look on the suggestions too.

I have some pages from previous tab books that I can post here....gimmie a second...

You're at the same level as I am. I have the Jim Chapin book. I haven't got past the first few pages though, since I'm already working on a couple of books: "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone (exercises which use the rudiments - flams, paradiddles, single/double/triplet strokes - in various applicable combinations) and "4 Way Coordination" (forgot the author's name. I swore I mentioned it in another thread, though). vicfirth.com has some useful stuff, too. Get the Groove Essentials poster. Other than that, I try to come up with my own polyrhythm combinations, making my own tabs using an Excel spreadsheets

Shit, I can't find any good lil' licks that in my practice books. I'll find some eventually, it's all over the place in my closet.

At any rate, here's another good one. Not as good as Chapin's IMO, but still good shit....

So I assume you really like drums?

or is this all a schtick?

Who doesn't like drums? And why would they come to SoulStrut?

I love drums.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

Who doesn't like drums? And why would they come to SoulStrut?
    I do, but I come for the cowbelle, and stay for the claves.
    roooooooomba saaaaaambahhh!!

shave and haircut 2 BITSSSSSSS!!!!

• Lisa Ann Schonberg's The DIY Guide To Drums[/b]:

http://www.buyolympia.com/q/Item=diyguidetodrums

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Drum? book?

???

- spidey

Drum? book?

???

- spidey

Yup, they both exist. And when you combine them, you have the potential for some serious badassery....