Vick gets off easy

2»

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    if the public reaction towards Vick isn't racist than, at the very least, it is outrageously hypocritical.

Oh boy.

For future reference, can we get a list of things that are not racist? I figure it'll be shorter than the list of things that are racist.

• I just think it is INSANE that his sentence would have been longer if it was proved he was gambling...if he wasnt eating them, or making money off of them, then what other reason would there be for dog fighting other than watching animals die for pleasure? Yeah sure, its speculation, but please, if he wasnt gambling, what was he doing it for? It is sickening that a lesser sentence comes with this crime if you werent gambling...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Animated GIFS are never racist.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Dude got the high end of the sentencing range. His attorneys were seeking a year, the government sought 18-24 months, and judge agreed with the government. And he most likely won't ever be coming back to the NFL. Methinks justice is served.

This pretty much says it all. There remains the possibility that he could get a state sentence, which would probably run concurrently to this one. But if he doesn't get any further punishment, 23 months in the federal pen is a fair punishment for this crime.

And to those who think federal prison is a country club, go out and get caught committing a federal crime and then come back and talk to me. My client P**** R******* had never committed a crime in her life before making a very bad error in judgment relating to her severance pay from the bank and wound up spending 19 months in federal prison. No picnic. Horrible. Worst experience of her life.

Prison is no joke.
    JRoot

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

• "And to think that in some countries these animals are eaten!"

• His sentence should not be affected by his career - if he loses endorsements etc then so what??
    If you went to prison for this you`d lose your job too right?
    I was very surprised at the sentence and how quickly this got to court.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

I was very surprised at the sentence and how quickly this got to court.

Surprised by the length or brevity of the sentence?

As for how quickly it got to court, criminal trials are supposed to happen quickly. This was quicker than most, though, which is a credit to the strength of the evidence against Vick as well as his desire to get his sentence over ASAP to preserve any chance, however remote, of returning to the NFL.

• The length of the sentence surprised me - they seemed to have so much on him that they made public knowledge very quick and it just made me think they were really going to throw the book at him. I thought he`d get at least 5 years.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    It is sickening that a lesser sentence comes with this crime if you werent gambling...

Yeah.. seems backwards. If you're not gambling, then you're really just a sick freak, so shouldn't that be worse?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    I think most of the outcry surely stems from the fact that dogs are pets. When people think of dogs being killed, they think of their own dog, or another dog they've been close to.

Betcha something similar is going on in the heads of a lot of pro-lifers.

just when i thought i read the most idiotic statement on soulstrut last week, someone had to log on today and come up with a new one.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Indeed.

• gonna spend only 23 months in prison...where he will prbably be treated like a king. Whoopee Goldberg said the entire case is racist, as dog fighting is part of "Southern Black Culture"....dumb bitch.

So cock-fighting isn't a part of various cultures? what about hunting for sport? that's not cruel and inhumane?

i don't condone what Vick did, but i agree with the wisdom of Whoopee. if the public reaction towards Vick isn't racist than, at the very least, it is outrageously hypocritical.

a lot of things are "part of (various) culture(s)"...female genital mutilation, stoning rape victims to death, bullfighting, killing homosexuals, I could go on all day. Even if what Whoopie said is true, so what? That doesn't give anyone a free pass. My morals are not dictated by what's acceptable to some "culture".

oh and for the record, I don't believe he got off easy at all. but his sentence was harsh less for the dogfighting itself, and more for the fact that he lied to investigators numerous times, failed that drug test, etc.

• gonna spend only 23 months in prison...where he will prbably be treated like a king. Whoopee Goldberg said the entire case is racist, as dog fighting is part of "Southern Black Culture"....dumb bitch.

So cock-fighting isn't a part of various cultures? what about hunting for sport? that's not cruel and inhumane?

i don't condone what Vick did, but i agree with the wisdom of Whoopee. if the public reaction towards Vick isn't racist than, at the very least, it is outrageously hypocritical.

a lot of things are "part of (various) culture(s)"...female genital mutilation, stoning rape victims to death, bullfighting, killing homosexuals, I could go on all day. Even if what Whoopie said is true, so what? That doesn't give anyone a free pass. My morals are not dictated by what's acceptable to some "culture".

she was talking about Southern Black Culture and my examples were based on American culture (hunting for sport, cock-fighting - though not prevalent, still exists). also, the point isn't that the inhumane treatments exist in various cultures, its that they exist as parallels. if we are outraged at Vick, why aren't we equally outraged at the millions of hunters who go out and shoot defenseless animals.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    gonna spend only 23 months in prison...where he will prbably be treated like a king. Whoopee Goldberg said the entire case is racist, as dog fighting is part of "Southern Black Culture"....dumb bitch.

she was talking about Southern Black Culture and my examples were based on American culture (hunting for sport, cock-fighting - though not prevalent, still exists). also, the point isn't that the inhumane treatments exist in various cultures, its that they exist as parallels. if we are outraged at Vick, why aren't we equally outraged at the millions of hunters who go out and shoot defenseless animals.

Because one is against the laws of our land and the other isn't.

I blame lawyers.

• i've never hunted in my life and have no desire to, but every hunter i know (and there are a lot in Michigan) hunts for food. even if we're talking about hunting for sport (which I think is wrong and sick), it's still not even close to the same thing as training dogs to mutilate each other, and then electrocuting/hanging/beating/whatever the ones that don't make the cut.

but i really don't want to get back into the hunting vs. dogfighting debate, we already did like a 10 page thread about that.

& to the other cat speculating on the amount of time an avg guy would get, i know a guy who got rolled up w/ way more shit than vick did re: dogfighting & did 3months jail time w/ a 5yr probation period...

Must have been a local/state charge....Vick's problems really got blown up when the Feds stepped in.

Apples vs. Oranges

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Wouldn't that be something though if Vick came back and was able to compete at a high level again? John Clayton breaks it down. Sentence puts Vick's NFL career in jeopardy

& to the other cat speculating on the amount of time an avg guy would get, i know a guy who got rolled up w/ way more shit than vick did re: dogfighting & did 3months jail time w/ a 5yr probation period...

Must have been a local/state charge....Vick's problems really got blown up when the Feds stepped in.

Apples vs. Oranges

nope federal charge, vick got fucked to make an example period...

I stand corrected.

• How much time do you want him to get? Jeez, it was some dogs. I like dogs, but people dont get put away for life for killing dogs.

The outrage about dog killing seems more harsh in the eyes of some than people being killed.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The head coach just pulled a Nick Saban.

• How much time do you want him to get? Jeez, it was some dogs. I like dogs, but people dont get put away for life for killing dogs.

The outrage about dog killing seems more harsh in the eyes of some than people being killed.

Yes. People can do fucked up things that can move a person to kill another person, crimes of passion, not saying I condone killing human beings, but I understand what can drive person to do so, especially in a crime of passion or murder commited while another crime is being committed...but these dogs didnt do a damn thing to be methodically tortured and killed...not saying it is as bad as killing a human..but just the idea behind it is REALLY FUCKED UP...to sit there and say, "it was just some dogs" is beyond bullshit...the dude HANGED dogs, he choked dogs, he tortured dogs A LOT, it wasnt a one time freak out..he did this A LOT and went on with his daily routine afterwards...THAT IS FUCKED UP, plain and simple...a person who does this isnt right....shit, instead of prison, maybe dude needs to spend a decade or so in a mental health facility...DOGS are innocent, Humans arent always innocent.

• now that i think about it, it's pretty naive to expect people to think about this as the same as hunting. wild elk or deer or bears or whatever don't help handicapped people get around, don't save human lives, don't sleep in people's beds with them at night. personally i think dog fighting is on the same level as bullfighting, cockfighting, etc. but i don't know how you can be surprised people are especially protective of dogs. is it hypocritical? maybe, but it's understandable. and it's hardly racist.

• A dude here in SC got 30 years for it a while back..he was facing 205 years.

Two days into his jury trial, a South Carolina man changed his plea to guilty and will get 30 years in prison -- 10 years for creating the booby trap that injured a surveyor who wandered onto his land, and 20 years for four counts of criminal animal fighting in connection with his pit bull breeding business. Authorities said David Tant was the No. 2 breeder of fighting pit bulls and sold the dogs internationally. Had he been found guilty by the jury, he would have faced 205 years in prison.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    the only time a shooting is a tragedy is when some douchebag shoots up a school or a mall...

ESPECIALLY a mall.

You can mess with our kids, but DO NOT fuck with our desire to buy shit we don't need.