Sonned?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
From Dusty Groove:
Pretty darn wonderful grooves from this quirky west coast combo -- a trio with a great love of late 70s fusion and early 80s club! The tracks here are heavy on beats and keyboards, but not in a contemporary way -- more in the kind of stripped-down, rhythm-centric modes that were bubbling out from the underground on a great assortment of singles in the post-disco years -- a vibe that was initiated by 70s jazz fusion experiments, but cleaned up and trimmed down for a much more dancefloor-friendly vibe by the next decade. Hearing the set, you might well have yourself searching to see if some of these gems are lost tracks from Columbia, RCA, or smaller labels back in the day -- but you'll find that the work's all quite contemporary, just put together with a great ear for an older sound by this up and coming trio! Titles include "Rumpledforeskin", "I'd Tap", "So Necessary", "Mythical Funk", "Sonned",[/b] "Reflecting On The Karate Kid", "Step In The Marina",[/b] and "The Move".

Comments

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    "Rumpledforeskin"

• oh snap there was a thread about that too. Someone owes Raj some royalties!!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

"Steady Grippin'"[/b]

SAN FRANCISCO, California
    United States

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    They need to consider themselves a new bandname, severiously.

"MEGADOSE SOUNDFLAKE"

WTF?????????

And yeah they owe SS royalties, I hope they are paying to post here.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Their myspace is even better. It's the 2girls1cup of "nu disco." I'm speechless.

Influences: Daft Punk, Rick James, Nile Rodgers

I'm not sure they are jo(c)king or not.

Ick.

• They need to consider themselves a new bandname, severiously.

"MEGADOSE SOUNDFLAKE"

WTF?????????

And yeah they owe SS royalties, I hope they are paying to post here.

They need to consider hiring somebody to put a name to anything they do, as I personally would never ever pick up a record advertising the hit single "Turdburglin'".

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Hularious

• Can we get a

• Can we get a

That design font looks casually familiar.

• Can we get a

That design font looks casually familiar.

Saying though!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'm not a violent person, but these guys might need a light beatdown just on principal. There's a quota for stealing styles and it was been exceeded.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    This is me. The two other dudes on the cover are old friends I roped in to be my ???bandmates??? for this project. I take full responsibility for my actions. They had nothing to do with the making of the album.

Soul Strut has been the source of much entertainment and inspiration for me during the past 3-4 years I have been a (mostly lurking) member. I discovered a ton of great music due to this board, and have even purchased some records from a number of you in this thread.

I enjoyed the lexicon here so much that I ???borrowed??? some popular catchphrases for song titles. Most of the album was created around the time the Cash Play mix CD was released, so there is a heavy early 80's soul/boogie influence to the tracks. Biting prohibited? Guilty as charged. I wholeheartedly apologize if I???ve offended Raj and everyone else by doing this without permission.

All remaining copies have been bought back from DGA and CD Baby, which were the only 2 places one was able to get this homemade CD-r. The album and ???band??? is now officially kaput. Rest assured that there are no royalties to speak of, as this project has been a money losing venture.

The name? I liked the group Renegade Soundwave back in my college days. :-P

SG

• -

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    None of those phrases originated on soulstrut. I personally used 'Id tap' from the fall of 93 up until july 95.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This is me. The two other dudes on the cover are old friends I roped in to be my ???bandmates??? for this project. I take full responsibility for my actions. They had nothing to do with the making of the album.

Soul Strut has been the source of much entertainment and inspiration for me during the past 3-4 years I have been a (mostly lurking) member. I discovered a ton of great music due to this board, and have even purchased some records from a number of you in this thread.

I enjoyed the lexicon here so much that I ???borrowed??? some popular catchphrases for song titles. Most of the album was created around the time the Cash Play mix CD was released, so there is a heavy early 80's soul/boogie influence to the tracks. Biting prohibited? Guilty as charged. I wholeheartedly apologize if I???ve offended Raj and everyone else by doing this without permission.

All remaining copies have been bought back from DGA and CD Baby, which were the only 2 places one was able to get this homemade CD-r. The album and ???band??? is now officially kaput. Rest assured that there are no royalties to speak of, as this project has been a money losing venture.

The name? I liked the group Renegade Soundwave back in my college days. :-P

SG

Oh man, that's too bad. I wouldn't mind hearing the record anyway.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    sell it on the soulstrut gift shop

• Haha, sorry SG I was just joking around. No hard feelings I hope. I did a search for "Step In The Marina" trying to find an old thread and found the DG write-up.

I have to wonder why you didn't promote your own project on soulstrut more though, especially considering its influence on your song titles...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Haha, sorry SG I was just joking around. No hard feelings I hope. I did a search for "Step In The Marina" trying to find an old thread and found the DG write-up.

I have to wonder why you didn't promote your own project on soulstrut more though, especially considering its influence on your song titles...

No hard feelings. Nerves prevented me from promoting it here b/c of the unauthorized appropriation of Soul Strut culture. I was pretty proud of the music on the CD, but deep down I knew I'd eventually get skewered for it.

SG

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    post a joint. a closed mouth don't get fed.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

SG

Does this mean that the CD is now officially a private rap raer that will be mythologized and discussed by future strutters, only to be given new life when someone happens upon the entire load and sells them on ebay for hundreds each?

• post a joint.

• the hit single "Turdburglin'".