Rep Yo' Seeds! (Return of the kid pix thread)

Comments

• my son, Professor...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Recently found out we're going to have #3.

congrats man, no more sleepretirement account for you!

Word, I forget what sleep is like already, but one of these kids better be smarter/more talented/luckier than I am, because the ol' man is gonna be broke after raising them, for reals. The thing I miss most about my pre-parental life is disposable income, it makes all the other fun stuff possible.

• i'll bet there are a lot of stories about having to choose between giving up that record rooms and a room for the new baby..
    My bubbys room is the record room she sleeps on a queen size bed in a room with about 3000lps (crap stuff on the bottom rows).

• I know I'm a few days late, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity to re-rep my little girl. Although Cadence is now 4 months old, I only have these 9 week shots on my work computer. I wish I was home with her right now!

Wide-eyed as always.

True.

Out and about with Mom.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    here's mine, Wolfgang and Ursula, 3 and 4 respectively.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

cool names, cool kids. where is that shirt from?! i always find awesome old little kids clothing at goodwills and cant decide if i should stockpile it for the future or not. hope my kids are as snappy dressers as yours.

• here's mine, Wolfgang and Ursula, 3 and 4 respectively.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

cool names, cool kids. where is that shirt from?! i always find awesome old little kids clothing at goodwills and cant decide if i should stockpile it for the future or not. hope my kids are as snappy dressers as yours.

Nice, thanks!
    the Moms is pretty hard-core with the thrifting. she can clean a place out of its cool shit/shirts in minutes.
    so yes, it is goodwill related, and don't start stockpiling until you have to! i always pass the cool clothes onto friends after they outgrow. if you get to work on that soon, i can pass it on to you!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    This is Nina, she was born January 14, seven weeks early, a preemie at 4 lbs 2 ozs. Now she's home and she's almost 5 lbs. She's doing great, as is her mama.

2 days

13 days

20 days

do I look tired yet?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

do I look tired yet?

that is a beautiful photo man.

Congratulations again.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

do I look tired yet?

Not nearly enough, homie.

Give it a few months though

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Congrats, man. And yes, physically tired is rough enough. Just wait until mentally tired kicks in.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

do I look tired yet?

Not nearly enough, homie.

Give it a few months though

For real, but it's easy to get through. The first night she sleeps all the way through will freak you out.

She's beautiful. Congrats!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

While I'm here...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    congrats all you dudes...I'm so freakin excited I can hardly stand it. I already posted the first view of mine but that's not fair I'll wait to post in here when it's on the outside, haha

Meaty - your kid is cuter than cute getting covered in cute from a blown up cute factory

Josh - when the hell did you have 2 kids??, haha

Day - dude...your kids are rad...the robot, hahahahahaha

Thes - last time I saw you your wife was looking happy as hell about to pop at Tsegas reception, I heard all the news about complications since then, I know I don't know you well but you guys were definitely in my thoughts. glad to hear all is well.

everyone else, congrats you got some beautiful kids for REAL. I can't wait. July 27th isn't gonna get here fast enough.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Congratulations!!! She is beautiful and looks wonderful. Glad to hear Moms is well, too.

I mean this in the best way and please don't think I'm cutting up your sweet boy, but

Just turned 3 on Monday (3 already!), enjoying some cupcakes from Vanilla

• Things get so much better (but the sleep still sucks!)

Congrats Ayres, I know how gut wrenching the drama is, but it's amazing how resilient kids can be...

Sai Jobim Portugal
    3 months

I mean this in the best way and please don't think I'm cutting up your sweet boy, but

Haha. thats actually pretty spot on. Young Jack is a great cook as well, he is always helping me in the kitchen

classic.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Things get so much better (but the sleep still sucks!)

Congrats Ayres, I know how gut wrenching the drama is, but it's amazing how resilient kids can be...

Sai Jobim Portugal
    3 months

haha yeah! Thats the dude right there! Smooth ass combover

How many of you 1-2 year old parents have your kids in day care? Mine started last month, and we're loving it, he's coming home energetic, learning fast and all that. Kinda feels wrong leaving him at 19 months, but I think its necessary for our peace of mind.

How many of you 1-2 year old parents have your kids in day care? Mine started last month, and we're loving it, he's coming home energetic, learning fast and all that. Kinda feels wrong leaving him at 19 months, but I think its necessary for our peace of mind.

Yeah man - totally feel you here.

We had childcare for Ella arranged part-time when she was pretty young: my wife had to go back to work after 2 months and even though I didn't have a full-time gig at the time, I needed help so we began to hobble together childcare through family and PT nannies. By the time she was around 1, we had her in a full-time nanny-share with another girl her age in the neighborhood and that seemed to work out for everyone.

When we moved down to L.A., she was 1.5 or so and she got into daycare (FT) soon thereafter in the neighborhood. Age-wise, she was slightly on the younger end but not by much and it turned out to be a pretty good move in terms of Ella's social and intellectual development. In contrast, I've noticed that among friends of mine who still have their 2-3 year olds with one-on-one childcare (stay-at-home parent, nanny), their language and social behavior hasn't developed as much but then again, that could be for any number of other reasons (including that most of them are boys, not girls).

My wife and I still wonder if we made the right decision but ultimately, as you point out, your decision is going to be a balance between personal sacrifice (i.e. you can't live like you're a childless couple any more) with pragmatism (i.e. "peace of mind"). Ultimately, if your kid seems bright and happy, then something must be going right.

Now we have to worry about pre-school though.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Is that the little dun who was so mercilessly shot naked on page 1? I love that guy. He still looks like a hard rock, despite the smile!

Also, major congrats to you, Ayres. She looks beautiful and we're all glad she's doing well.

Strut babies?

• How many of you 1-2 year old parents have your kids in day care? Mine started last month, and we're loving it, he's coming home energetic, learning fast and all that. Kinda feels wrong leaving him at 19 months, but I think its necessary for our peace of mind.

I don't know about where you're at, but in NYC day care is crazy expensive and the waiting lists are super long. If we were to do day care or a nanny, my wife would have to go back to work and I would have to get another job of which all the money would go to paying for child acre.
    I'm sure you've heard Ayres, but just in case, if you are thinking about daycare in a year or two, start looking and interviewing yesterday.

You all have some cute kids! Wish I had some recent pictures online to floss.

High five soulstrut dads!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Things get so much better (but the sleep still sucks!)

Sai Jobim Portugal
    3 months

haha yeah! Thats the dude right there! Smooth ass combover

You shouldn't feel guilty. My son's been in a Montessori since he was 10 months. He hated it at first, but now he doesn't want to stay at home. He's semi-fluent in Japanese, can read hiragana and katakana (even better than his English.) and working on Spanish at the Montessori. Kids that are in pre-schools, day cares, etc., tend to do better/are more prepared when its time for regular school.

You shouldn't feel guilty. My son's been in a Montessori since he was 10 months. He hated it at first, but now he doesn't want to stay at home. He's semi-fluent in Japanese, can read hiragana and katakana (even better than his English.) and working on Spanish at the Montessori. Kids that are in pre-schools, day cares, etc., tend to do better/are more prepared when its time for regular school.

They also tend to have more discipline problems but it's a very minor % more likely.

So yo - what's the whole Montessori philosophy exactly? I hear the name kicked around all the time but have no idea how they actually do stuff differently.

They also tend to have more discipline problems but it's a very minor % more likely.

So yo - what's the whole Montessori philosophy exactly? I hear the name kicked around all the time but have no idea how they actually do stuff differently.

My understanding is that Dr. Montessori basically took a adult style curriculum (not necessarily a set of courses, but more a set of skills), then made it so it's palatable and more readily absorbed by children.

From what I understand, most pre-schools (Montessori or not) have adopted her way of teaching to one extent or the other.

Every month we get a syllabus of topics/skills that he learns broken down by day. Thursdays are geography day and right on the money, he comes home talking about the animals and some cultural detail of whatever country they discussed. I'm not sure that regular pre-schools go that far.

Daycare:

When Jack was born i was still studying so had the opportunity to be a stay-at-home dad. Some of the greatest times of my life, he finally went into daycare a age 1 1/2 as we were both employed full-time.
    It was hard not seeing my best friend every day, but the change in him was so positive that it was worth it.

He was a happy wee man, making friends, finding his place in the world and realizing that he isnt the only little guy.

Tui started at Jacks creche two days ago. He is six months old. it was a really tough decision but the creche is really good and it has done Jack so well. We will see what happens.

I dropped them both off this morning and it broke my heart. Jack was too busy building blocks to say goodbye and Tui has fallen for his teacher already so was busy gazing into her eyes. It was a long walk home.

Mornings at our house:

Wake up when Jack starts yelling (normally around six)
    Take him upstairs and change his diaper
    go back downstairs and get Tui, change him
    make Jacks breakfast
    feed Tui
    burp Tui
    pick Jacks breakfast up off the floor and give him a banana
    dress Tui
    dress Jack
    dress myself
    pick Jacks clothes up off the floor and dress him again
    look for Jacks shoes
    find one shoe
    clean the banana out of Tuis hair
    change tui because he just threw up all over himself
    change Jack because he just did a poo
    find Jacks other shoe
    wrestle Jacks jacket on
    Creche dropoff (Tui in the buggy, jack standing on a skateboard like thing that clicks on the back.
    tram to work

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My almost-3-year-old daughter started at Children's Courtyard and it just wasn't cutting the mustard...they couldn't even get kids noses wiped in a timely fashion. So we pulled her out of there and started bringing her to a nanny with 2 of her little friends. That was cool for a while, but eventually she wasn't getting the learning experiences she required. So starting this past fall we put her in a Montessori school...which has been cool on one hand, but in this case the teachers don't seem all that skilled on how to correct inappropriate behavior. So now my once-gentle-and-polite daughter is coming home saying "no, I don't want to" all of the time, whining and fake crying to get things she wants when she used to just ask, and even hitting us at times. Obviously she's learned these bahviors from other kids at her school...which again is alright on one hand for her age, but on another hand we just might end up moving her again. In fact, just today a teacher at a public pre-school that my wife consults at said how she really wished how my daughter could somehow join her class. It's a really cool Cuban woman who teaches a bilingual format and the school would be free of charge, so now we're considering moving her again. Still don't know what we're going to do over this summer though....

My almost-3-year-old daughter started at Children's Courtyard and it just wasn't cutting the mustard...they couldn't even get kids noses wiped in a timely fashion. So we pulled her out of there and started bringing her to a nanny with 2 of her little friends. That was cool for a while, but eventually she wasn't getting the learning experiences she required. So starting this past fall we put her in a Montessori school...which has been cool on one hand, but in this case the teachers don't seem all that skilled on how to correct inappropriate behavior. So now my once-gentle-and-polite daughter is coming home saying "no, I don't want to" all of the time, whining and fake crying to get things she wants when she used to just ask, and even hitting us at times. Obviously she's learned these bahviors from other kids at her school...which again is alright on one hand for her age, but on another hand we just might end up moving her again. In fact, just today a teacher at a public pre-school that my wife consults at said how she really wished how my daughter could somehow join her class. It's a really cool Cuban woman who teaches a bilingual format and the school would be free of charge, so now we're considering moving her again. Still don't know what we're going to do over this summer though....

How is she adjusting to the many moves? Many kids don't adjust well to moving. A possible reason for the behavior? That's a big factor in keeping my son in the Montessori until he's school aged.

I'm just Dr. Phil armchairing right now...

• Much congrats Ayres! Hang in there and I'm glad her and mom are healthy.

Thes...that's a great 3 month picture... their personality really starts to shine at his age. it's great as a parent when you start getting reciprocity and are "making that connection."

My girl, Cadence, is about to turn 6 months. Here are some shots from last week:

at Duke Gardens with the dog:

messing with her hair:

and one older, but special pic for today:

GO DUKE![/b]

So now my once-gentle-and-polite daughter is coming home saying "no, I don't want to" all of the time, whining and fake crying to get things she wants when she used to just ask, and even hitting us at times.

Oh yeah, that is all to familier.

I think it has a lot to do with the age as well, but yeah 'product of the environment' and all.

Whining and fake crying is my #1 pet peeve.