fvck work: i just got fired!!!

rookrook 357 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
worked at a trucking/freight company for the last 4 years called sourdough express (fuck sourdough). just got aced over some political shit. oh well, i plan on not doing shit for a month and catching up on some rackord listening. anybody else get fired before-and what did they do after??

Comments

• met my housemate to find he'd been sacked as well. it was so funny we just went and found a pub.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Fuck the trucking/freight forwarding industry. While we're at it, fuck travel agencies as well. Most of the jobs are stressful with low pay.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    the firing itself happened yesterday morning, so at 8am i went and drank vodka tonics and smoked blunts with the cohort who was also fired over said politics . anyways, now that i dont feel like drinking, it just feels weird to not go to work.. as i've maintained a job w/out unemployment since i was 13. i dont got shit to do

• Get drunk and let off steam this weekend. Go start looking for a better job on Monday.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    Fuck the trucking/freight forwarding industry. While we're at it, fuck travel agencies as well. Most of the jobs are stressful with low pay.

like a motherfucker

i love driving rigs, but gottdamn soo much horseshit involved

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    worked at a trucking/freight company for the last 4 years called sourdough express (fuck sourdough). just got aced over some political shit. oh well, i plan on not doing shit for a month and catching up on some rackord listening. anybody else get fired before-and what did they do after??

I'm kinda jealous.

The only thing that sucks when you get fired is the whole health insurance thing (in america anyway)... that is unless you have no money saved up and are livin check to check.

When I got canned 2 jobs ago (the very day I was planning on quitting they beat me to it.) I called up an unemployed friend immediately and we went to Six Flags (it's an amusement park). Then a month later I went to Colorado to go snowboarding. Then, about a month after that I went to Costa Rica for 10 days. Did I mention that I was getting severance checks? Shit was rad! Glad they fired me (well laid me off) before I quit. Work sucks. It's bullshit. Enjoy your time off... or, "transition period."

• rookrook 357 Posts

I'm kinda jealous.

The only thing that sucks when you get fired is the whole health insurance thing (in america anyway)... that is unless you have no money saved up and are livin check to check.

When I got canned 2 jobs ago (the very day I was planning on quitting they beat me to it.) I called up an unemployed friend immediately and we went to Six Flags (it's an amusement park). Then a month later I went to Colorado to go snowboarding. Then, about a month after that I went to Costa Rica for 10 days. Did I mention that I was getting severance checks? Shit was rad! Glad they fired me (well laid me off) before I quit. Work sucks. It's bullshit. Enjoy your time off... or, "transition period."

sup high c,
    thx for the rehash 45's a while back, and i need to send you another cd.. but yeah i have some loot to fall back on which is fortunate for me, but now i got no health insurance, first thing i did this morning was call the pharmacy and frontload on all perscriptions.-

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I was recently laid off myself (housing industry downturn related), but you know what, it's quite freeing.

Now that you are not a 9-5er, it's always a good time to make real world moves and hustle. Last time I was jobless I had just straight up quit and it was probably one of the better moves I've made in my lifetime.

Having to pay $100/mo for health insurance blows, but that's the price of personal freedom I guess.

Sourdough is quite tasty though,

Good luck!

Having to pay $100/mo for health insurance blows

Try $248 with Cobra!

• rookrook 357 Posts
    I was recently laid off myself (housing industry downturn related), but you know what, it's quite freeing.

Now that you are not a 9-5er, it's always a good time to make real world moves and hustle. Last time I was jobless I had just straight up quit and it was probably one of the better moves I've made in my lifetime.

Having to pay $100/mo for health insurance blows, but that's the price of personal freedom I guess.

Sourdough is quite tasty though,

Good luck!

what you know about sourdough??

• Having to pay $100/mo for health insurance blows

Try $248 with Cobra!

I don't understand Cobra. Seems like you have to pay a shitload more to use them as opposed to just signing up directly with a carrier like Kaiser.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    yeah i was paying upwards of 200 for terrible coverage-but hey it was something. fuck health care, until i need it

• Having to pay $100/mo for health insurance blows, but that's the price of personal freedom I guess.

Fuck, I pay more than that for just me and I have a job!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Yo, don't sweat the firing, shift work causes cancer:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/11/29/night.shift.cancer.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- Like UV rays and diesel exhaust fumes, working the graveyard shift will soon be listed as a "probable" cause of cancer.

Graveyard shift work disrupts the circadian rhythm, the body's biological clock.

It is a surprising step validating a concept once considered wacky. And it is based on research that finds higher rates of breast and prostate cancer among women and men whose work day starts after dark.

Next month, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the cancer arm of the World Health Organization, will add overnight shift work as a probable carcinogen.

The American Cancer Society says it will likely follow. Up to now, the U.S. organization has considered the work-cancer link to be "uncertain, controversial or unproven."

The higher cancer rates don't prove working overnight can cause cancer. There may be other factors common among graveyard shift workers that raise their risk for cancer.

However, scientists suspect that overnight work is dangerous because it disrupts the circadian rhythm, the body's biological clock. The hormone melatonin, which can suppress tumor development, is normally produced at night.

If the graveyard shift theory eventually proves correct, millions of people worldwide could be affected. Experts estimate that almost 20 percent of the working population in developed countries work night shifts.

Among the first to spot the night shift-cancer connection was Richard Stevens, a cancer epidemiologist and professor at the University of Connecticut Health Center. In 1987, Stevens published a paper suggesting a link between light at night and breast cancer.

Back then, he was trying to figure out why breast cancer incidence suddenly shot up starting in the 1930s in industrialized societies, where nighttime work was considered a hallmark of progress. Most scientists were bewildered by his proposal.

But in recent years, several studies have found that women working at night over many years were indeed more prone to breast cancer. Also, animals that have their light-dark schedules switched develop more cancerous tumors and die earlier.

Some research also suggests that men working at night may have a higher rate of prostate cancer.

Because these studies mostly focused on nurses and airline crews, bigger studies in different populations are needed to confirm or disprove the findings.

There are still plenty of skeptics. And to put the risk in perspective, the "probable carcinogen" tag means that the link between overnight work and cancer is merely plausible.

Among the long list of agents that are listed as "known" carcinogens are alcoholic beverages and birth control pills. Such lists say nothing about exposure amount or length of time or how likely they are to cause cancer. The American Cancer Society web site notes that carcinogens do not cause cancer at all times.

Still, many doubters of the night shift link may be won over by the IARC's analysis to be published in the December issue of the journal Lancet Oncology.

"The indications are positive," said Vincent Cogliano, who heads up the agency's carcinogen classifications unit. "There was enough of a pattern in people who do shift work to recognize that there's an increase in cancer, but we can't rule out the possibility of other factors."

Scientists believe having lower melatonin levels can raise the risk of developing cancer. Light shuts down melatonin production, so people working in artificial light at night may have lower melatonin levels.

Melatonin can be taken as a supplement, but experts don't recommend it long-term, since that could ruin the body's ability to produce it naturally.

Sleep deprivation may be another factor in cancer risk. People who work at night are not usually able to completely reverse their day and night cycles.

"Night shift people tend to be day shift people who are trying to stay awake at night," said Mark Rea, director of the Light Research Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York, who is not connected with the IARC analysis.

Not getting enough sleep makes your immune system vulnerable to attack, and less able to fight off potentially cancerous cells.

Confusing your body's natural rhythm can also lead to a breakdown of other essential tasks. "Timing is very important," Rea said. Certain processes like cell division and DNA repair happen at regular times.

Even worse than working an overnight shift is flipping between daytime and overnight work.

"The problem is resetting your body's clock," said Aaron Blair, of the United States' National Cancer Institute, who chaired IARC's recent meeting on shift work. "If you worked at night and stayed on it, that would be less disruptive than constantly changing shifts."

Anyone whose light and dark schedule is often disrupted -- including frequent long-haul travelers or insomniacs -- could theoretically face the same increased cancer risk, Stevens said.

He advises workers to sleep in a darkened room once they get off work. "The balance between light and dark is very important for your body. Just get a dark night's sleep."

Meanwhile, scientists are trying to come up with ways to reduce night workers' cancer risk. And some companies are experimenting with different lighting, seeking a type that doesn't affect melatonin production.

So far, the color that seems to have the least effect on melatonin is one that few people would enjoy working under: Red

• rookrook 357 Posts
    Yo, don't sweat the firing, shift work causes cancer:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/11/29/night.shift.cancer.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- Like UV rays and diesel exhaust fumes, working the graveyard shift will soon be listed as a "probable" cause of cancer.

Graveyard shift work disrupts the circadian rhythm, the body's biological clock.

It is a surprising step validating a concept once considered wacky. And it is based on research that finds higher rates of breast and prostate cancer among women and men whose work day starts after dark.

Next month, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the cancer arm of the World Health Organization, will add overnight shift work as a probable carcinogen.

The American Cancer Society says it will likely follow. Up to now, the U.S. organization has considered the work-cancer link to be "uncertain, controversial or unproven."

The higher cancer rates don't prove working overnight can cause cancer. There may be other factors common among graveyard shift workers that raise their risk for cancer.

However, scientists suspect that overnight work is dangerous because it disrupts the circadian rhythm, the body's biological clock. The hormone melatonin, which can suppress tumor development, is normally produced at night.

If the graveyard shift theory eventually proves correct, millions of people worldwide could be affected. Experts estimate that almost 20 percent of the working population in developed countries work night shifts.

Among the first to spot the night shift-cancer connection was Richard Stevens, a cancer epidemiologist and professor at the University of Connecticut Health Center. In 1987, Stevens published a paper suggesting a link between light at night and breast cancer.

Back then, he was trying to figure out why breast cancer incidence suddenly shot up starting in the 1930s in industrialized societies, where nighttime work was considered a hallmark of progress. Most scientists were bewildered by his proposal.

But in recent years, several studies have found that women working at night over many years were indeed more prone to breast cancer. Also, animals that have their light-dark schedules switched develop more cancerous tumors and die earlier.

Some research also suggests that men working at night may have a higher rate of prostate cancer.

Because these studies mostly focused on nurses and airline crews, bigger studies in different populations are needed to confirm or disprove the findings.

There are still plenty of skeptics. And to put the risk in perspective, the "probable carcinogen" tag means that the link between overnight work and cancer is merely plausible.

Among the long list of agents that are listed as "known" carcinogens are alcoholic beverages and birth control pills. Such lists say nothing about exposure amount or length of time or how likely they are to cause cancer. The American Cancer Society web site notes that carcinogens do not cause cancer at all times.

Still, many doubters of the night shift link may be won over by the IARC's analysis to be published in the December issue of the journal Lancet Oncology.

"The indications are positive," said Vincent Cogliano, who heads up the agency's carcinogen classifications unit. "There was enough of a pattern in people who do shift work to recognize that there's an increase in cancer, but we can't rule out the possibility of other factors."

Scientists believe having lower melatonin levels can raise the risk of developing cancer. Light shuts down melatonin production, so people working in artificial light at night may have lower melatonin levels.

Melatonin can be taken as a supplement, but experts don't recommend it long-term, since that could ruin the body's ability to produce it naturally.

Sleep deprivation may be another factor in cancer risk. People who work at night are not usually able to completely reverse their day and night cycles.

"Night shift people tend to be day shift people who are trying to stay awake at night," said Mark Rea, director of the Light Research Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York, who is not connected with the IARC analysis.

Not getting enough sleep makes your immune system vulnerable to attack, and less able to fight off potentially cancerous cells.

Confusing your body's natural rhythm can also lead to a breakdown of other essential tasks. "Timing is very important," Rea said. Certain processes like cell division and DNA repair happen at regular times.

Even worse than working an overnight shift is flipping between daytime and overnight work.

"The problem is resetting your body's clock," said Aaron Blair, of the United States' National Cancer Institute, who chaired IARC's recent meeting on shift work. "If you worked at night and stayed on it, that would be less disruptive than constantly changing shifts."

Anyone whose light and dark schedule is often disrupted -- including frequent long-haul travelers or insomniacs -- could theoretically face the same increased cancer risk, Stevens said.

He advises workers to sleep in a darkened room once they get off work. "The balance between light and dark is very important for your body. Just get a dark night's sleep."

Meanwhile, scientists are trying to come up with ways to reduce night workers' cancer risk. And some companies are experimenting with different lighting, seeking a type that doesn't affect melatonin production.

So far, the color that seems to have the least effect on melatonin is one that few people would enjoy working under: Red

• -

• rookrook 357 Posts

Try $248 with Cobra!

Can an american strutter breakdown the whole health insurance thing for me?
    Is living without health insurance just too risky in case something major happens?

pretty much the situation sucks for most people. obviously balleurs dont worry, but for the workingman/woman it's a pretty serious risk to hang w/out insurance. when major stuff does happen it's thousands of dollars easy to get fixed up

Try $248 with Cobra!

I don't understand Cobra. Seems like you have to pay a shitload more to use them as opposed to just signing up directly with a carrier like Kaiser.

That's why I don't have health insurance right now!

• -

Try $248 with Cobra!

Is living without health insurance just too risky in case something major happens?

Hospital bills are large if you don't have health insurance. I recently got in an accident on my motorcycle. I got an ambulance ride, x-rays, shots, cat-scan, the whole nine-yards. Without insurance it would probably have cost me $10,000.

I do H/R for my company and I've seen bills for minor accidents costing up to $5,000. It's covered by our workers comp though. Recent employee hit his head and had to get some stitches. We elected to pay for the first-aid instead of making it a workers comp claim to keep our workers comp rates down. Cost us $800.

• Shit is crazy, but it's not like we've exactly got it made with all the tax money we gotta fork over.

But aren't you covered even if you're unemployed? I'd gladly pay higher taxes if I knew everyone was getting better healthcare.

Try $248 with Cobra!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_Omnibus_Budget_Reconciliation_Act_of_1986

Still doesn't make sense after reading this. Why are qualified people forced into a plan that costs them more personally than the employer was paying? Seems like bullshit.

• -

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Try $248 with Cobra!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_Omnibus_Budget_Reconciliation_Act_of_1986

Still doesn't make sense after reading this. Why are qualified people forced into a plan that costs them more personally than the employer was paying? Seems like bullshit.

Of course it doesnt make any damn sense. Didnt you ever wonder why they call it Cobra?

They just pray on the fact that when you are first unemployed, you're not really sure what your individual rate of coverage should be, so you unwittingly pay like 3 times as much until you wise up and check out other plans.

That shit is definitely a scam. I think they try to justify the crazy rate because they have to give you coverage and cant deny you anything because you were already insured through your company? I dunno.

Its pretty dastardly though if you ask me.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yup, get the COBRA commander quote, but sign up directly yourself.

My advice is just to shop around. For individuals in California, Kaiser has a plan for $76 a month and Blue Shield/Cross has one for $90 a month. Both are decent, and at least you'll have basic coverage.

Good luck!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Why is it I've never met anyone who's said...

"I just got fired and damn did I deserve it, I was a total fuckoff"??

Sorta like not being able to find a guilty man in prison.

• Why is it I've never met anyone who's said...

I got fired once in my life and it was a corrupt situation. Immediately there after the business went to shit because I was gone. My boss and her boss were demoted. I got on unemployment because they were to stupid to contest it so I never pushed the wrongful termination thing. I'm glad I'm gone.

Anyway, I rarely say anything about it because everyone thinks they were wrongfully terminated.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts

ba hahahhahahahaha so word

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I got fired once in my life and it was a corrupt situation. Immediately there after the business went to shit because I was gone. My boss and her boss were demoted. I got on unemployment because they were to stupid to contest it so I never pushed the wrongful termination thing. I'm glad I'm gone.

Anyway, I rarely say anything about it because everyone thinks they were wrongfully terminated.

I got fired mabye a moth ago from my runner job at a studio out here. I totally didnt give a fuck, but the thing is i was better at it than alot of the retards they hired. I mean it wasnt a tough job, but whatever, i would say i deserved it.

Try $248 with Cobra!

pretty much the situation sucks for most people. obviously balleurs dont worry, but for the workingman/woman it's a pretty serious risk to hang w/out insurance. when major stuff does happen it's thousands of dollars easy to get fixed up

I remeber a couple of years ago I was working this shitty job that had the worst insurance. So I ended my coverage and as soon as I did, I tore a muscle in my lower back. Yo, you want to feel pain?? That shit right there had me pissing side ways laying down. The pain from all that was just the beginining. With no insurance I had to pay back at least a minium of 2000.00 and a collection agency statered blowing the phone up when I missed one payment.