Back from Accra: Big Mama Unice's Drinking Spot

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I had posters put up all over Accra, radio announcements were made and ads were plugged in the local papers. The most rewarding result was a call from Big Mama Unice.Big Mama Unice runs a small bar simply called "the drinking spot" where she also cooks rice with a different sauce each day. A big freezer keeps beer and locally distilled sugar cane liqueur nicely chilled. I was told to come around in the morning hours and when I arrived at around 10 am, I was given a large travel bag containing 45s from G to Mint, from Hi-Life to African Jazz, Soul, Psych and Afrobeat. Besides a large number of James Brown releases, everything else were African releases. What they all had in common, was that they all were top tunes. I don't knowmuch about Hi-Life and never cared much about this style but the stuff I found there is just incredible! There also was a small stack of LPs and we all had an amazing time, playing these records on the portable turntable. All the pieces below came from Big Mama Unice's Drinking Spot, most notable are the nice company 45 sleeves and of course the Psychedelic Alliens (sic) EP. I'm only posting a few selected LPs, no need to show off spares..." Nice philosophical liner note on backside of the Uhuru Dance Band sleeve:New mixes will follow in a few days. I'll make one Soul, Psych & Afrobeat mix and another one with Afro Jazz and Hi-Life.Dubious nightclub outside another digging spot.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Amazing.......thanks for sharing.

• wow. is Psychedelic Alliens previously unknown? you're the only google result

Unless it's a different band, they are known (sometimes as Aliens, sometimes Psychedelic Aliens, I believe).

Great finds and words as usual, Frank. How's that Saint Augustine and the Rovers record?

• Crazy finds! Its amazing how much stuff thats out there that I have no clue about.

Peace,

Dress

Unless it's a different band, they are known (sometimes as Aliens, sometimes Psychedelic Aliens, I believe).

Great finds and words as usual, Frank. How's that Saint Augustine and the Rovers record?

quite a lineup http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_to_Soul_(film)

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    wow. is Psychedelic Alliens previously unknown? you're the only google result

They're only spelled "ALLIENS" on the cover, the label says "ALIENS"
    Jazzman Gerald had told me about the EP a year and a half ago. I never quite believed him though, the idea of an African group naming themselves "PSYCHEDELIC ALIENS" just seemed too outlandish...

The SAINT AUGUSTINE has a very nice and haaunting "native blues" on it.

• looks like the best type of record score- getting to see the spot where these actually got played back in the day. I'm assuming Big Mama (and her customers) used to actually listen to stuff like the Aliens???

That "Vida Rose" sleeve is my favorite:

"What, me to relax? Good god! Not when I have got it and all want to see and hear me do it"

looking very much forward to hearing these...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    looks like the best type of record score- getting to see the spot where these actually got played back in the day. I'm assuming Big Mama (and her customers) used to actually listen to stuff like the Aliens???

That "Vida Rose" sleeve is my favorite:

"What, me to relax? Good god! Not when I have got it and all want to see and hear me do it"

looking very much forward to hearing these...

Yeah, Unice actually sung along and tapped her foott with almost every record I put on the portable.

I'll give her CDs with my mixes next time I get to Accra.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Hope you put that ASHANTI'S tune on the mix.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Dood, Disco Soccer? Psychedelic Aliens? You can't make up better titles than those. Unbelievable. Nice Up.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Awesome.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

awesome picture

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

awesome picture

So true... it's been said so many times before, but you're really doing it man. I'm in awe every time you post and it makes me want to just quit my job, pack my bags and head out into the world... but I just don't have the balls

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    amazing.

• You must be doing something right, people seem happy to deal with you.

Thanks for letting us see/hear.