Best Release on the Sussex Label?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Mutzie rocks!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I thought Mutzie was just one guy, the
    sociopathic-looking dude on the cover?

That LP is pretty good, though. Nice guitar.

• No love for Eddie Senay?

I think his LP's are better than Coffey's ...

Thank you!

I always liked the idea of Coffey - like a funky Davie Allan - and Lord knows the man is a guitar genius, but the only song that really grabbed me was "Scorpio." Everything else just kind of fades into the background. But I love to hear him bust out the wah-wah and fuzztone pedals on Motown records!

I have Senay's Hot Thang, and his jazzy soul instrumentals are far more listenable.

• I thought Mutzie was just one guy, the
    sociopathic-looking dude on the cover?

That LP is pretty good, though. Nice guitar.

Ah, my fault...turns out, after looking around on the Net, that Mutzie is actually E. "Mutzie" Levenburg, guitarist and vocalist.

Sure does sound like that oughta be a band name, though, don't it?

• I never heard this. I had the other one from him and was really underwhelmed by it. Whats the sound on this like?

Dylanish folk-rock with lots of putdown lyrics.

(By the way...his other Sussex album, which I do not possess, has a song called "Advice To Smokey Robinson." What was that all about?)

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I've never heard this, is it similar to his stuff on Verve?

It's actually funkier, and it doesn't have that watered-down-for-the-pop-market feel that many of his Verve records have. He was better on Sussex, I'd say.

co-sign

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=813

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Rodriguez

I've heard both records and was not impressed. Matter of fact, he can hug a Gallery 45.

• The "Mutzie" album is like Gallery, except good.

I've never heard their LP, but more than once I've read that Mutzie was supposed to be a hard rock band, which is something a softish group like Gallery pointedly is not. What exactly would these two bands have in common?

That they are obscure white groups on Sussex (although you have mentioned that Gallery was not obscure at the time).

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    obscure white groups on Sussex

yay or nay?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    white shit on Sussex < crappy white shit on Motown.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dennis Coffey foster care?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Another okay [white] hard-rock LP on Sussex: Amish.

Mysterious and obscure funk group of unknown racial background: 95th Congress 45.

For me the first two Bills are head and shoulders above the rest, with probably the first Soul Searchers coming in third...

• The "Mutzie" album is like Gallery, except good.

I've never heard their LP, but more than once I've read that Mutzie was supposed to be a hard rock band, which is something a softish group like Gallery pointedly is not. What exactly would these two bands have in common?

That they are obscure white groups on Sussex (although you have mentioned that Gallery was not obscure at the time).

Going by the Sussex discography, they didn't set out to be an exclusively R&B label (although it was black-owned). They were doing white and black music equally from the start, but just like King and Westbound, it was the black sounds that took off.

• Just As I Am/Withers Live/Still Bill - I can't decide which of these I like the most. Eddie Senay - Hot Thing one of my favorites on the labe ltoo, but you just can't really leave Bill Withers out of any "Best of Sussex" conversation, so it's tough.

I've never heard all of We The People I only have a 45 from it (1993/Think). I really want to hear the Willie Bobo now too.

• Any opinions on the albums by Ralph Graham or the Segments of Time?

I have a Segments single...it's good, but not very memorable.

Going by the Sussex discography, they didn't set out to be an exclusively R&B label (although it was black-owned). They were doing white and black music equally from the start, but just like King and Westbound, it was the black sounds that took off.

I'm not sure if Coffey/Theodore produced all the pop shit on Sussex, but they were writing/producing records like that before Sussex even existed

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Any opinions on the albums by Ralph Graham or the Segments of Time?

Ralph graham is forgettable.

Segments of time is slightly better than Graham.

Both have entered and exited the collection

• Just As I Am/Withers Live/Still Bill - I can't decide which of these I like the most.

All four of Bill's Sussex LP's (obviously not counting his best-of) are good, but if I had to rank them in order...

1) Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall - the BEST, right down to Bill's between-song raps and his shoutouts to the presidents of Sussex and Buddah Records, respectively (from "Harlem/Cold Baloney": "I wanna see Clarence Avant clap his hands! I wanna see Neil Bogart clap his hands!").

2) Just As I Am

3) Still Bill/+'Justments (tie) - both of these albums kinda peter out in the middle of the second side, but up until then, he's at the top of his game

• Sharon Ridley's Stay A While With Me - the very definition of a one-tracker. Album doesn't really hit me (although I'd rather hear Sharon than Zulema), but that title track is incredible. Get the album, too, because the single version was criminally edited.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I bought it for a dollar and was ready to dump it pretty much before I listened to it, but dammit I admitted to myself I like it.

now I'm stuck with a white girl

I;ve never seen the Priscilla LP but I've got a jukebox EP that crams like 5 or 6 songs from it in (like Segments of Time I haven't listened in so long that I can't comment on relative goodness)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Any opinions on the albums by Ralph Graham or the Segments of Time?

Ralph graham is terrible.

Sharon Ridley's Stay A While With Me - the very definition of a one-tracker. Album doesn't really hit me (although I prefer her to Zulema), but that title track is incredible. Get the album, too, because the single version was criminally edited.

Oh yeah - Zulema is decent.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    oops wrong thread.

• I bought it for a dollar and was ready to dump it pretty much before I listened to it, but dammit I admitted to myself I like it.

Priscilla is (or was?) Booker T. Jones' wife (and Rita Coolidge's sister). Booker T. & Priscilla later went on to record an album or two as a duo for A&M.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I bought it for a dollar and was ready to dump it pretty much before I listened to it, but dammit I admitted to myself I like it.

Priscilla is (or was?) Booker T. Jones' wife (and Rita Coolidge's sister). Booker T. & Priscilla later went on to record an album or two as a duo for A&M.

yeah, I've never liked the Booker T & Priscilla LP's.

However this one is also produced by Booker, but just comes out so much better than the other stuff

• Sharon Ridley's Stay A While With Me - the very definition of a one-tracker. Album doesn't really hit me (although I prefer her to Zulema), but that title track is incredible. Get the album, too, because the single version was criminally edited.

I dig that track but have only heard the single. i dont recall that bieng on sussex or are you just comparing her to zulema??

message of love off of hot thang is probably one of my favorite guitar grooves ever.

Id like to hear that rodriguez-cold fact lp. never seen it.

• Sharon Ridley's Stay A While With Me - the very definition of a one-tracker. Album doesn't really hit me (although I prefer her to Zulema), but that title track is incredible. Get the album, too, because the single version was criminally edited.

I dig that track but have only heard the single. i dont recall that bieng on sussex or are you just comparing her to zulema??

For some reason, Phil-L.A. of Soul reissued Ridley's Sussex album in 1975...maybe that's the version of the record you saw?

Toast - hope to see you this Saturday night (Dec. 1) at the Hideout! East of Edens running it...

For some reason, Phil-L.A. of Soul reissued Ridley's Sussex album in 1975...maybe that's the version of the record you saw?

Toast - hope to see you this Saturday night (Dec. 1) at the Hideout! East of Edens running it...

Yeah, thats the one. did not know it was on sussex first.

and will most definitley be there!

• Dandelion Wine (members Larry Santos, Thelma Hopkins, Joyce Vincent, .......................)

Sussex 502 - Some Kind Of Summer / Hot Dog* - 1973 *same song as the 1969 release "I'd Be Nowhere Today" by The Nu People on Venture 638. Dandelion Wine was a manufactured group put together for this release.