Genaside II 'Narra Mine'

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I found this UK proto-jungle/d&b classic on an mp3 blog the other day, so I thought I'd share, for no reason other than I think it's a great record. It's the first time I've heard it in about ten years, which was probably when it dawned on me just how far ahead of its time it was. Difficult to believe (for me, at least) that it's sixteen years old.

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I found this UK proto-jungle/d&b classic on an mp3 blog the other day, so I thought I'd share, for no reason other than I think it's a great record. It's the first time I've heard it in about ten years, which was probably when it dawned on me just how far ahead of its time it was. Difficult to believe (for me, at least) that it's sixteen years old.

Holy shit - I don't think I've heard that in around 15 years since the days when everyone would pass round their bootlegged copies of Ellis Dee, Seduction etc mixtapes. Would love to have tracklistings for those old tapes.

Many thanks for the memories Doc.

• They did a live performance at a local ice rink back in the day and considering the usual standard of p.a.'s they were and

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts

Holy shit - I don't think I've heard that in around 15 years since the days when everyone would pass round their bootlegged copies of Ellis Dee, Seduction etc mixtapes. Would love to have tracklistings for those old tapes.

You're welcome. Did you ever hear the album they did on London around 1997? "New Life 4 The Hunted", I think it was called. It wasn't so much released as it escaped, and it generated almost zero press coverage, but it was really good. Loads of sampled dialogue from films like "Scum", as well as a guest appearance or two from a couple of Wu-Tang second-stringers - it's worth keeping an eye out for.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

You're welcome. Did you ever hear the album they did on London around 1997? "New Life 4 The Hunted", I think it was called. It wasn't so much released as it escaped, and it generated almost zero press coverage, but it was really good. Loads of sampled dialogue from films like "Scum", as well as a guest appearance or two from a couple of Wu-Tang second-stringers - it's worth keeping an eye out for.

This must have totally passed me by on it's release as don't recall seeing it anywhere - I kinda assumed they'd disappeared after Narra Mine and was more than a little surprised when they popped up remixing a Tricky track round the end of the nineties. Cheers for the heads up - will definitely keep it on my radar.

• Ive got the 'mr maniac' 12" somewhere ('97) and a couple of other bits,
    nothing back as far as that track though...nice!