pleasantly surprising records

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I had this record in my to be listened to pile for awhile. Never Got around to checking it out. I was expecting a free jazz type fusuion record but it has a lot more going on. It's Carlos Garnett - Journey to enlightenment sorry for the small pic. I'd like to hear about some dope records you picked up with low expectations..

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I had heard lukewarm reactions, but I picked it up cheap and think it's lovely.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I like every record that's been named so-far.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    jimmy ponder-

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I picked this up thinking it was roots reggae:

And was pleasantly surprised...

• This has been hanging around for a minute waiting to be listened to and i was surprised at how good it is...

These i've had for some time and reaquainted myself with them recently. Maybe my musical tastes have matured since i first bought/listened to them but they sound better than i remember....

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    '77 is possibly in my top 10 albums ever!!!

Anyway this Lulu LP has a couple killers on it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

On a related note: I bought a reissue 45 of Lulu's "Shout" and the flip side, "I'll Come Running," totally knocked me out of the box. Was expecting some shallow pop thing and got a surprisingly soulful tune, in that UK/northern soul way. Here I was thinking she didn't go R&B until she switched labels to Atco and they gave her the Dusty In Memphis treatment (even "Shout" is more rockish than soulish). Anyway, she kills it on both sides, which appear on this From Lulu...With Love album seen above.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

On a related note: I bought a reissue 45 of Lulu's "Shout" and the flip side, "I'll Come Running," totally knocked me out of the box. Was expecting some shallow pop thing and got a surprisingly soulful tune, in that UK/northern soul way. Here I was thinking she didn't go R&B until she switched labels to Atco and they gave her the Dusty In Memphis treatment (even "Shout" is more rockish than soulish). Anyway, she kills it on both sides, which appear on this From Lulu...With Love album seen above.
    The original flip of 'Shout' 'Forget Me Baby' is also a criminally slept on solid R&B track by her.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Stone classic. Check this one as well.

• a total surprise:

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

the crazy thing is "I'll Come Running" isn't even the best song on this album! Her cover of "Surprise, Surprise" is absolutely bananas, she's totally channeling Wanda Jackson but it's even more unhinged than anything I've ever heard her do. Check it out.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A34F8CDF3F9B0CEA