McCarthy's "Blood Meridian"

Mad Drama TeacherMad Drama Teacher 1,985 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• Greatest book ever.

• Has nobody else read this?

This is a must-read-before-you-die book. Not uplifting by any definition. Nevertheless. Judge Holden's philosophies are out there. His story of the harnessmaker makes Washington Irving look like a hack.

• It's been discussed here before. I've read it twice now and both times my head was swimming from the incredible writing (the language he uses--the blend between biblical, western, and old American that sounds so damn heavy and is dense will allusion and symbols and references). It's gory as hell but not needlessly so. It's historical fiction that's based on true events but it gets the grittiness and damn near godless depravity and self-destruction of the Manifest Destiny-era America right. McCarthy and Melville are probably my favorite American authors.

• I just read this, and thought it was excellent; clearly, a writer hunting bigger game than most. And, yes, MDT, it was after you brought it up re: Harold Bloom, etc.

That said, I will say two things: I think that if you read this, you should do yourself a favor and be sure to read Moby Dick, which in my mind, this book is pattently based around. (the Judge is the most Ahabian character I've read outside of Melville; some supplementary reading notes that McCarthy is a big Moby Dick guy, and has made no bones about his love for the book, and it's influence on him.)

And, I thought "The Road," showed a greater scope and range of emotions than this book, which at times ...left me as cold as the desert. I think one thing that The Road or Moby Dick has that this book lacks is an emotional connection to its central characters...At times, it just felt like a hardboiled western triptych.

It was a great book, though. The writing was gorgeous, and McCarthy is a man of RARE talent. I give it my highest recommendation, with no hesitation.

• I read this book to get away from Moby Dick, since I've stalled on finishing it. I'll be able to go back to it now, though.

I hate when people call this book a Western (no offense). To me, it would be like calling "Farewell to Arms" a romance novel.

Having empathy for the characters is a concern. If only Judge Holden wasn't such a despicable man. I was wondering what the point of the "regeneration through violence" quote on the book was, but it made sense as the judge told more of his stories. I think many of the things he was saying were true, but it was hard to buy into his worldview, considering who he was.

What a fucked up ending, too.

• I was wondering what the point of the "regeneration through violence" quote on the book was, but it made sense as the judge told more of his stories.

It's a reference to the book Regeneration Through Violence by Richard Slotkin. It's this classic of American Studies that covers somewhat similar themes as BM, at least with reference to the interaction of Anglo-Americans and American Indians. It's a great book if you're into that sort of thing.

• Thanks.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I read this book to get away from Moby Dick, since I've stalled on finishing it. I'll be able to go back to it now, though.

Are you serious? Moby Dick is great! How about where the two captains cross pegs?! Blood Meridian is great too, but not as good as Moby Dick.

• I read this book to get away from Moby Dick, since I've stalled on finishing it. I'll be able to go back to it now, though.

I hate when people call this book a Western (no offense). To me, it would be like calling "Farewell to Arms" a romance novel.

Having empathy for the characters is a concern. If only Judge Holden wasn't such a despicable man. I was wondering what the point of the "regeneration through violence" quote on the book was, but it made sense as the judge told more of his stories. I think many of the things he was saying were true, but it was hard to buy into his worldview, considering who he was.

What a fucked up ending, too.

No offense taken...I wasn't calling it a Western; I WAS saying that at its worst moments, it starts to feel like a Western, when it has already shown itself to be much more.

I thought the Judge was easily the most interesting character in the book. Despicable or no, he was a fascinating man, and very well written. One of the best characters I've ever read. The Kid was interesting in his stoic/spartan nature...after those two, things got thin. Glanton was a good character, but reaked of sacrificial lamb, and i was NOT surprised by his ending.

I thought it was very well written...but, the thing that it was missing that Moby Dick has was the characters voices and emotions. Ishmael's voice is just so wise and vibrant that it really makes that voice NEXT LEVEL. And, that next level was what was missing for me.

• I'll add to this that I immediately picked up 'The Crossing,' and plan to spend the rest of my fall working through the McCarthy catalog...(yes, I've read 'All the Pretty Horses'.)

He is an amazing writer, and reading his work, frankly, makes me a better person.

I plan on finishing 'Cities on the Plain,' and 'No Country...' before the end of football season.

• My next book is Gore Vidal's "Duluth" ("I've been to Duluth") after I finish "Moby Dick."

• Read "Suttree". Absolutely incredible book.