Record Stores in Japan, Tokyo

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Well wifey is going to Japan soon and was wondering if you could give me any cool tips on which stores to have her hit up? I heard a lot of stores closed down but what would be the top 2-4 to hit for fresh stuff? I'll also tell her to pick up some GP3 replacement needles so all yall folks who asked about that in the past hopfully I'll have some soon, I'll keep you posted.Thanks in advance! P's

Comments

• shibuya is a good place where she can hit multiple spots (you really want to do that to wifedawg?) and get her own shop on.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Disk Union(s) and RECOfan(s)

• no one ever mentions yoyogi park. i got a few things there as well as some second hand vintage japanese thingies.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Walk around Shibuya's recomura[/b] ("Record Town"). Just make your way to DMR (Dance Music Record) and there are tons of shops around there. You can ask the locals or print out this map and bring it along.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I found some goodies at Disk Union in Shibuya. Also, Jet Set was pretty dope for the hip-hop 12s.

Shimokitazawa for the rare shops.

• Wow, Drum & Bass looks like a killer shop, thanks for posting picoandsepulveda. I am heading to Tokyo for the first time in early December. Any other reggae spots you (or anyone else) would recommend? I am looking to buy and trade, I've got some roots and digi raer to bring. Also can't wait to check out a soundsystem or two, not to mention the fish market, amazing food, crazy stores and some culture.

• Disk Union(s) and RECOfan(s)

Disk Union is my favorite. They are quite pricey, but they have a nice selection of rarities. I like how they treat the 45s, seal 'em up and all ...

• Wow, Drum & Bass looks like a killer shop, thanks for posting picoandsepulveda. I am heading to Tokyo for the first time in early December. Any other reggae spots you (or anyone else) would recommend? I am looking to buy and trade, I've got some roots and digi raer to bring. Also can't wait to check out a soundsystem or two, not to mention the fish market, amazing food, crazy stores and some culture.

Hey Larry, you are very welcome. it is nice to know that someone can appreciate this stuff on this forum. here is another site that is affiliated with Tommy and the Rocka-Shacka/D&B recs crew. I don't know if they have a physical store like D&B but their online site looks good.

http://www.rockingmood.com/

I've dealt with Tommy face to face as well as online. I must say dealing with these guys is a pleasure. They have their packing and shipping game on smash and they re-stock quite often. But, you gotta check'em quick and often (at least oinline) because the product moves fast. have fun in Japan!

kampai !!!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Disk Union(s) and RECOfan(s)

Disk Union is my favorite. They are quite pricey, but they have a nice selection of rarities. I like how they treat the 45s, seal 'em up and all ...

I got some really good deals on US soul and funk 45s at Disk Union...it seems like a lot of stuff was on sale, which I was usually not aware of, so that made for a pleasant surprise when I got to the register.

I felt like a moron for buying records from my home state in Japan but WTF, they've got it all.

• Disk Union(s) and RECOfan(s)

I got some really good deals on US soul and funk 45s at Disk Union...it seems like a lot of stuff was on sale, which I was usually not aware of, so that made for a pleasant surprise when I got to the register.

I felt like a moron for buying records from my home state in Japan but WTF, they've got it all.

It seems like they are pricey when it comes to established "hit records" n the Funk scene, but they sleep on rather unknown stuff. I bouth Barbara Stant's "Footsteps" (a record even rare in it's home state Virginia) for about $ 20. So yeah, if you got a good ear, you can catch a bargain. Gotta love Disk Union! I will be back there next spring and I am prepared to spend some money...

• If you want her to find old shit, have her go to Ocha-no-mizu, its the used book and record district. Tons on shops, including a couple good Re-Co-Do-Sha shops.

Peace...
    Mimizu

• Drum and bass records blew my mind, being a reggae lover in japan is certainly on some

• Can't Wait!