Enter the Mind of Moog

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone checked this out? It's a benefit for the Bob Moog Foundation that is going to be in my area. Enter the Mind of Mooga benefit for the Bob Moog FoundationEvent & Afterparty with Telepath ???Interactivity Inspires Creativity???The mission of the Bob Moog Foundation is to document, celebrate & teach innovative thinking. Join us in our benefit event, ???Enter the Mind of Moog,??? as we transform the Orange Peel into an interactive tour through the life and collective work of synthesizer pioneer Robert Moog. Attendees will be able to see, touch and hear the Moog legacy through six display ???modules.??? Three modules will guide the viewer through distinct eras of Moog???s career with displays rich in historical photos, enlightening narratives, original Moog instruments and hand-selected audio recordings. The remaining three modules will be interactive instrument stations where attendees will experience the mind-blowing sonic capabilities of Moog instruments. With the help of ???neurotransmitters,??? technically knowledgeable guides, guests will have a chance to play Moog theremins, Moogerfoogers (effect pedals) and Moog synthesizers.???Channeling Creativity into Song???Throughout the evening attendees will have the opportunity to see and hear the effects of Moog instruments as if in a recording studio. A diverse array of local musicians, some with national followings, will perform individually on stage to separately record a portion of a song using different Moog equipment. After all the musicians have completed their portion, the finished song will be played back for everyone to enjoy.???Creating Support???The Foundation will hold a silent auction throughout the evening. The auction will feature a vast array of items that are relevant to the Moog legacy, whether it be a Moog instrument, a photo from Bob???s archives, or a poster signed by a well-known Moog musician. A raffle will also take place throughout the evening giving everyone an opportunity to take home a piece to remember from the event. Proceeds will benefit the Foundation and support preservation of the Moog archives.Additional information / Contact: Michelle Moog-Koussa, Executive Director 828.683.7261 or [email]michelle@moogfoundation.org[/email]

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Why does he need a foundation?

Isnt he still getting loot off all the new moog shit?

In any case, mad respect to bob moog.

The voyager is in my opinion the hottest synth ever to come out ever.

• There is a museum being set up and some sort of scholarship program for electronic musicians. I don't think its like "buy bob moog's kids a car".

Bob Moog Foundation

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Why does he need a foundation?

Isnt he still getting loot off all the new moog shit?

Bob Moog died 2 years ago. His daughter Michelle runs the foundation.

From http://www.moogfoundation.org/:

One year ago we launched the Bob Moog Foundation to honor the unique legacy of a humble synthesizer pioneer who left an indelible mark on the world of music. Just as my father???s internal drive was innovation, so is the mission of the foundation: to document, celebrate and teach innovative thinking through scholarships, outreach programs, unique community events and a Bob Moog Museum. (To read more about our goals, please see our Statement of Objectives).

Our first year has been one of growth and excitement as we focused on raising awareness of the foundation and its goals. We traveled to NAMM in January and connected with many enthusiastic supporters. In February, we transitioned from a purely volunteer organization to having one full time person dedicated to moving the foundation forward. In May, we celebrated the music of Moog technology with the Asheville Symphony in a breathtaking, innovative performance of Gustav Holst???s ???The Planets???, and in August we traveled to the North Carolina Museum of Natural Science to demonstrate theremins to young and hold alike during the Wild Music Festival.

Our year ahead will be focused on building financial support for the foundation, so that we can begin to implement some of our goals. Our most urgent call, however, will be to steward my father???s extensive archives to safety. These archives, which serve as a window into Dad???s creative process and represent fifty years of work, energy and imagination are in a state of disrepair. They must be saved, preserved and shared.

We, along with some of our friends, will be addressing this issue in the near future. Look out for our upcoming online campaign and please consider supporting us as we work to preserve a very special legacy.

Regards,
    Michelle Moog-Koussa
    Executive Director
    The Bob Moog Foundation

Sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind attending one of these events, and preserving Bob Moog's archives is

• Yeah, I think I am going to go check it out. Sounds like a fun day to me.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    i had a chance run-in with some of the folks behind the Moog Foundation. I wholeheartedly support this organization and there efforts to preserve Bob's work. There are some ill pieces in the archives...

• chasechase 767 Posts
    anyone else think the documentry about him was boring as hell?