Dancehall recomendations

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
My juices are flowing after listening to some dancehall on late-night indie station. Modern or old, what yall recommend?

Comments

• autoauto 198 Posts
    mad cobra - flex

• sean kingston

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    supercat? mad lion? beenie man? are these dudes considered dancehall? or reggaton? im disconnected to this shit.

now dub and roots reggae are my forte

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm not down with the elephant man, beenie man shit.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

um, well, that is new dancehall...

tho all of those guys have songs that sound like 80's dancehall... the Tears Riddim from last year had a very rootsy feel to it and Spragga Benz and Vybz Kartel did some really nice stuff on it...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Then maybe you don't like dancehall!?

• Old shit...

New shit...

VP Records has put out a good number of compilations also...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

VP Records has put out a good number of compilations also...
    Reggae Gold (if you ever change your mind about new dancehall).
    I have the one from '03 or '04 and
    it's worth the $12 that I spent on it.
    As a bonus, the cover artwork on these comps...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    TECHNIQUES

stalag 17,18,19

premiere explosion

sleng teng in all its many forms & styles
    (boops to a lesser degree)

king kong ("babylon") & others on Firehouse / Waterhouse

Sunset's Computer Rule series

i heart 1986-89 dancehall

also wittys & jah life (time) from that era
    &
    a big shout out to my ol pal Fatis & his Vena /Exterminator output

super power collections from that era floss mucho jammys & techniques productions

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The 2 Dancehall Compilation's on Sleeping Bag are
    a great primer for the new-jack, you get all
    the major hits from the start of the digital era.

• This was the first record that put me on to dancehall in high school. Still a good listen.

also check

I also been diggin the new track by Elephant Man - Five O

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Dancehall Murda mix posted by Jah Larry a couple of weeks back.

And this man, his voice is amazing:

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Some newer dancehall definitely worth checking out:

Baby Cham:

• This was the first record that put me on to dancehall in high school. Still a good listen.

Great album!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

this one

check for smaller labels like photographer, parrish, mr doo, wittys

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    mad cobra - flex
    this is a great song to hook someone on dancehall
    FLEXXXXA TIME TO HAVE SEXXXXA!

• I just dropped a dancehall mix-cd that is available direct for $8 (paypal [email]djmeistro2510@yahoo.com)[/email] or from Turntable Lab. It starts of with some new roots and then goes into late 80s early 90s bidness.
    http://www.labcabin.com/cds/0/0/23009.html

Here is what Labcabin said:

Get your airhorns ready. Mister Meistro, associate of Lab homeys Dave Nada and Tittsworth (and therefore posessing immaculate party-rocking credentials) is back with the followup to his first roots/dancehall/classics mix. Loved the first one, (and a lot of you did too) but this one may be even better. The blends are still on point and the transitions come at the right time in the track (people please take note: do not mix out in the middle of a verse!). Even more importantly, the song selection hits the correct balance between new, known and classics so everybody's happy. Things kick off in high gear with the criminally underplayed Rocking Time riddim (Chezidek's "Who I Am") and continue on a smooth modern roots tip with a succession of quality conscious dancehall interspersed with big tunes from Alborosie ("Slam Bam"), Buju ("Don & Dupes"), Pinchers ("Bandelero") and Super Cat ("Come Down"). The expert lacing of new versions with their precedents (big up for throwing in "Don Is Don") shows you're in the hands of a veteran. There's no way I can start to go thru even half of the 41 (!) tracks on here, but suffice to say Meistro has added a few to my wants list, and reminded me of a couple others I need to dig out of the box and get back in rotation. Nicely done sir.

Reviewed by Monk

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just to throw a name out there that often gets overlooked in favor of the Ninja Man's and Cutty Ranks of the dancehall world...

Baby Wayne

His early 90's material is

Didn't realize until just now that he passed away in 2005.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I have seen the 12" for Flex like once in my life. Why is it so raer?! That song was Frickin' huge. Don't make sense.

I have seen the 12" for Flex like once in my life. Why is it so raer?! That song was Frickin' huge. Don't make sense.

better bring that stuff to the top of my ebay rotation

people want that ?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I have no clue. In the real world wilds of record bins, Flex just doesn't pop up. Not gonna say it's raer or desirable though.
    You hoarding all the copies T?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Jokes aside.

Shabba ran dancehall through the late 80's & early 90's.

I preferred Cutty, but you can't have a serious dancehall thread and not talk about Shabba somewhere in there.

I
    You hoarding all the copies T?

not by intent, but i do have a thick section of a crate that is multiples of different edits & presses of that, mostly us promo radio/club stuff
    never my fave & since it is major label i never seem to get around to slinging
    but the things that have been blowing up for me never cease to amaze
    (gong sounds, jahmalla, flynn&flynn ??wtf??)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    woah, this is great. thanks for the input fellas. I'll probably start with some of those comps that were suggested.

• skattaskatta 48 Posts
    Just to throw a name out there that often gets overlooked in favor of the Ninja Man's and Cutty Ranks of the dancehall world...

Baby Wayne

His early 90's material is

Didn't realize until just now that he passed away in 2005.
    His album "Ram DJ" is really worth checking out.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Speaking about Shabba.

While he has better tracks on other things. (Tracks like Wicked Inna Bed, Dem Bow, Golden Touch, Caan Dun, etc) & some really great parts on songs with other artists.

I've always though that Rappin' With The Ladies is one of the best dancehall LPs.

• woah, this is great. thanks for the input fellas. I'll probably start with some of those comps that were suggested.

If you're gonna start off with comp's, this is your best bet for the older material... VP Dancehall 101 Vol's 1-4 and Shabba Ranks "Caan Dun (The Best of Shabba)"

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Current top 3:
    Early B's "Ghostbuster"
    Supercat's "Sandokan"
    Lady G's "Ghetto Rock"