fav funkadelic album?

13»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    btw, does anyone know who did the artwork?
    Pedro Bell

• That song "Smokey" blows me away every time. The singing is so motherfucking deep. God damn.

I can't get enough of George's old singing voice.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Don't forget that there are a couple 45 only tracks as well from their earlier days. And the Parliaments were a pretty good Soul act as well.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Can anyone tell me how involved the members of P-Funk were with other recordings on the Invictus (and maybe Hot Wax) label?
    I have one of the Ruth Copeland LP's that they play on, but their contributions there are obvious and documented in the writing credits.
    I got a 45 tonight by Holland-Dozier on Invictus, with the very twisted and funkadelic title, "I'm Gonna Hijack Ya, Kidnap Ya, Take What I Want" - the lyrics are more pimp hand gangsta style of Lamont Dozier's shit around then, but the music and arrangement is * b a n a n a s * and sure sounds like some Funkadelic shit, I wanna know...what other ish are they on?

...and singing about hijacking
    and kidnapping women
    and forcing yourself upon them is definitely

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Can anyone tell me how involved the members of P-Funk were with other recordings on the Invictus label?

That's them playing on the Chairmen Of The Board's Skin I'm In, a contractual obligation album on Invictus that turned out to be a left-field psych-soul classic.

Members of P-Funk are also playing on Johnnie Taylor's "Disco Lady."

Can anyone tell me how involved the members of P-Funk were with other recordings on the Invictus label?

That's them playing on the Chairmen Of The Board's Skin I'm In, a contractual obligation album on Invictus that turned out to be a left-field psych-soul classic.

real talk.

any more?

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    my fav is maggot brain on a whole. my fav song is "good thoughts bad thoughts"
    and i's sure everything you need to know about life can be found within that song.
    peace, stein. . .

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

real talk.

any more?

As far as Invictus, Ron Dunbar (vocalist on later Funkadelic albums) wrote a lot of songs for that label like for the Chairmen, 8th Day; his biggest were Patches and Band of Gold. As for session work on that label, I'm only aware of the Ruth Copeland and Chairmen of the Board stuff. Session work on other labels is practically endless.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

real talk.

any more?

As far as Invictus, Ron Dunbar (vocalist on later Funkadelic albums) wrote a lot of songs for that label like for the Chairmen, 8th Day; his biggest were Patches and Band of Gold. As for session work on that label, I'm only aware of the Ruth Copeland and Chairmen of the Board stuff. Session work on other labels is practically endless.

Ron Dunbar did some fucking incredible work on the Smith Connection LP, which is on Invictus subsidiary Music Merchant.

I'm actually trying to figure out if there are other similar soul LPs on that label.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

and kidnapping women

MP3 plaese.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hardcore Jollies then Cosmic Slop.

and kidnapping women

MP3 plaese.

I wish I had the hook-up to post one, but I will say that nobody seems to want this record and it can be had on eBay for the price of a milkshake.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    sheit! thanks guys. i was actually gonna ask if there was some documentary/literature on the funkadelly. this thread on its own serves as education in itself for myself, so much phucking thanks. i've been checking more albums, and its really too bad when u hear people talk about the same 20 bands in the history of music, and u rarely hear about them. if you can remember what if felt like the first time u heard these cats, thats what im going through right now. thanks!