Anime strut

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Tekkon Kinkreet finally got an english language dvd release last week, and I can't recomend it enough. Studio 4??C are certainly very tallented, but unfortunatelly their output is a bit hit and miss, this movie hopwever, is fantastic and very beautiful. Probalby the best example of the modern superflat influenced anime, I've seen. If you're familiar with Taiyo Matsumoto???s Black & White manga series you'll know how good this is. Learn more about it here, and here.Not to be all new new new..I've also been enjoying Galaxy Express 999, the space battle scene at the end of the movie is amazing. I'm sure it must have been one of the things SheOne was influenced by.

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    that first thing looks fucking great.

never got into galaxy express, too boring for me.

has anybody seen the NEW evangelion stuff? im really fucking excited to see it, eva is one of the best series of all time no doubt, that shit fucked me UP in high school.

long live gainax

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    who saw Paprika? I saw it...kinda liked it.

i really wanted to see it, i think it might still be at the indie theatre in my hometown, might check it out next time i go back.

• not much of an anime fan besides akira and cowboy bebop, maybe a few others but i loved black and white (the comic this was based on). Definitely want to see the movie.

taiyo matsumoto is a genius.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    never got into galaxy express, too boring for me.

I've seen some of the series, which was, as you say boring. But the movie you should check purely for the final battle scene. I only have a avi, with rather dodgy subs, so I've never tried to follow the plot, or watch the whole thing. But the animation in the final scene is real nice, and can see its a meticulous, handdrawn animation, which in the days of CGI is kinda refreshing.

There was a thread on Paprika a while back. Personally, although it looks good, I thought it was pretty

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    i loved black and white (the comic this was based on). Definitely want to see the movie.

taiyo matsumoto is a genius.

Viz have re-released the black and white series, as one comic, to coincide with the movie. There's a couple of extra color pages in there to boot.

I have Blue Spring, which I dug.
    Maybe No.5 will be my next purchase.

Has anyone seen the film of Blue Spring?
    I've seen the Ping Pong movie, but I've no interest in reading the manga, it doesn't really appeal.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    legend of the overfeind
    glogo 13
    lupin

yeah!

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    ybody seen the NEW evangelion stuff?

There's new Evagelion stuff? Where what how??

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I dont know if everybody would dig it cause its a little emo, but i thought death note was fucking awesome.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

whoa. is it a continuation of the old one? same cast of characters? or is it a spin off?

besides evangelion and cowboy bebop i couldnt really get into much anime although i have a good friend who rides for that isht, conventions and all.

whoa. is it a continuation of the old one? same cast of characters? or is it a spin off?

besides evangelion and cowboy bebop i couldnt really get into much anime although i have a good friend who rides for that isht, conventions and all.

if you liked eva you might dig FLCL and diebuster, the two good things gainax did afterwards, i think flcl still runs on cartoon network (i was blown AWAY when they picked it up) and the diebuster dvds just got released in america recently, but its like $25 for two episodes. its the "new" gunbuster, if you ever watched that series. might be listed under "gunbuster 2: aim for the top!"

i dont know much about the new eva stuff, do a google search for it and you might find something out...i only know about it through my friend. he hasnt seen any of it either but we're both really fucking stoked about it. from my understanding its a couple of movies or something. yes, same characters...rei, asuka, shinji, so on. i think the first movie basically sums up the original series, then the other ones are like new stories with the same people or something. i really dont know.

by the way there is new evangelion manga out too, but the style is fuckin awful (bring sadamoto back pleeease) and if youre into the visuals, you GOTTA get the fairly easy-to-get DER MOND art book.

Yeah FLCL is awesome plus cowboy bebop. Easily the best productions ever. I heard ages ago that there was goin to be a live action EVA movie but havn't heard anything since. I don't really remember how eva ended but in the movie supplement that they made called the death of eva everyone dies...so a sequal might be hard.

• While I appreciate the art and shit, how the hell do yall watch this stuff? Granted, I havent seen much(tried to watch Ghost in a Shell,Metropolis,and a few other things)..but I must be missing the hot shit. It's really hard for me to watch cartoons if they arent comedy(Simpsons,The Critic,Family Guy,etc)..maybe that is why these things don't appeal to me? My little teenage cousin on the other hand swears by this shit..even has a fanboy website where he uploads all kinds of videos and shit. I am admittedly disconnected.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    The eva rebuild is a retelling of the tv series over 4 movies, the last 2 will be shown together as a pair.

Anno is in charge of direction again (thank god). Also, the gainax team for this project including the character designer for Eureka Seven and RahXephon (both which borrowed heavily from Eva).

Here is the trailer (movie 1 came out in japan in september, no news on worldwide or u.s. release at the moment):

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    While I appreciate the art and shit, how the hell do yall watch this stuff? Granted, I havent seen much(tried to watch Ghost in a Shell,Metropolis,and a few other things)..but I must be missing the hot shit. It's really hard for me to watch cartoons if they arent comedy(Simpsons,The Critic,Family Guy,etc)..maybe that is why these things don't appeal to me?

I can see where you're coming from, I remember when I was in my early teens, and the brother of my then girlfriend, was heavily into anime/manga. I couild appreciate that they look good but just couldn't get into them. But a couple of years later, my friends and I would skip school, just get stoned and watch Akira over and over.

They're not for everyone, as long as you don't just dislike them because 'cartoons are for kids' kind of attitude, you wont be missing out on anything.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Has anyone seen this:

In English it is called Grave Of The Fireflies
    It is absolutely the gut-wrenchingly saddest movie (anime or otherwise) Ive seen.
    Very powerful and highly recommended.

So they just basically edited all the episodes together into four movies?
    I spent so many evenings stoned watching Eva episodes. I don't think i could revist it unless they added somthing new. I've just seen it way too many times.

I spent so many evenings stoned watching Eva episodes. I don't think i could revist it unless they added somthing new. I've just seen it way too many times.

Yeah, I messed up in my summary.
    The ending will be all new, and supposedly their goal is to make it clearer and more sensible than how the original movies ended.

Honestly, I think it's more like a way to make more money on a pre-existing, popular franchise (not that I'm mad, doggie). I'll still check these out when they come stateside.

• Tekkon Kinkreet finally got an english language dvd release last week, and I can't recomend it enough.

Studio 4??C are certainly very tallented, but unfortunatelly their output is a bit hit and miss, this movie hopwever, is fantastic and very beautiful.
    Probalby the best example of the modern superflat influenced anime, I've seen.

I just wattched this with a couple friends... I loved it, they absolutely hated it. They're not big anime fans, and they were disliked it so much, that I got a bit upset that they couldn't see in it what I could.

Anyhow, I recommend this as well, if you're patient (it's a bit slow moving), and can appreciate this style of art. I really want to check the manga now.

Peace...
    FNM

• Samurai Champloo had a really in depth perspective into samurai traditions of zen, survival, and companionship, and sorta time warped with 1990's hiphop. It was a thorough ass 26 episodes.

I would also like to propose that you watch ALL anime subtitled...Quite frankly, the only films that sustained any decent, english dialogue translations were those early Streamline flicks: Akira, First of the Northstar (hakuto no ken), Golgo 13 (previously mentioned), Lensman (sick), Vampire Hunter D, and Robot Carnival. All the early 90's classics from when I was at CAPA in Philly.

Here's a brief list, in no special order, of my favorite anime:

001- Mahou_Shoujotai OVA
    002- HundredStories_Tv
    003- Trava Fist Planet OVA
    004- FullMetal_Alchemist_Tv series
    005- Ergo Proxy Tv series
    006- Kimagure Robot OVA
    007- Noiseman OVA
    008- Freedom PRoject OVA
    009- Mononoke TV series (not princess mononoke)
    010- Kemonozume_TV

=DRUMZ.1

it looks like much higher quality animation. you gotta remember, they had a pretty small budget for the original series and thats why the last couple episodes seem so haphazardly put together.

if you are into anime more for the visuals than anything else, it will probably be pretty satisfying to finally see a series that really really REALLY deserved it in such high quality.