Records that used to go for crazy loot

BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I want to hear some stories from people who were selling in the thick of the beat digging craze. What were some of the titles you used to make a killing off? I'm talking about $300+ for Eugene McDaniels, $400(!!?!) for Dance the Slurp 45, $200 for Giant etc. How much money did y'all make off Brain Freeze?

Comments

• VG 24 KARAT BLACK $125

I still own this record because I can't really sell it and feel guilty about minting up.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    $100 for Michel LeGrand's "Brian Song"

• Oh, shit you sold?

I don't want to blow up nobody's spot, a lot of my customers be lurking...

• I pulled $125 for an OG "The Chronic" LP.

• I pulled $125 for an OG "The Chronic" LP.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

WOW.

On the flipside of that, I paid $60 for Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll's "Street Noise" when I was a baby digger.
    I heard that OK loop and went directly to GEMM where I got gemmed in my culo.

Live and learn SAHN.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I remember being amped about finding a cheap copy of this at Dusty Groove after seeing that auction, BITD.

"Ooooooh, I should have no problem flipping this!"

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Bob James - One - $100
    Bob James - Two - $120

• Bob James - One - $100
    Bob James - Two - $120

WTF. Did you catch Marcofunk on his first day of buying records??

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Bob James - One - $100
    Bob James - Two - $120

WTF. Did you catch Marcofunk on his first day of buying records?? [/quote

This was in like 2000. See, Australia is DRY for records from the US, or whatever... we got lots of those shitty UK records and other shit... So something like James Brown - Funky Drummer will still cost you like $40-50 when you find it - to this day. Bob James 1 and 2 were really hard to find outta all the CTI stuff, and some dude just offered me that. I can still get $50 for each of those albums in Australia... its nuts out there. Cuz the exchange rate was shitty back in the day, and people still use the same mentality of the old exchange rate (50 US cents -> 1 Australian dollar) as opposed to the current one (82 US cents -> 1 Australian dollar, at least).... I've sold lots of commons outta my collection for $$ cuz I know that shit can be got again.

As far as biggest sales, I recently sold that Russian psych record I had for a grip...

$600 odd for the Osoreazan Suite record twice... and for about 6 months on eBay, any Japanese record I put up went for over $100 regardless of rarity...

peace.

• Bob James - One - $100
    Bob James - Two - $120

WTF. Did you catch Marcofunk on his first day of buying records??

You must not have been checking for breaks 5-10 years ago, b/c shit like this was poppin' off left and right. I was talking to OM earlier today, and he told me that he once got $85 for a copy of Blind Alley, and $125 for Hook and Sling.

Jinx got, I believe, $500 for a copy of Dance the Slurp, and then sold the kid a second copy for an additional $300 or something.

I got $60+ a piece for three copies of Les Crane - Desiderata that I sold on ebay, one after the other. I didn't even have all three records at the same time. I sold one, went out and found another one, sold it, went out and found a third.

There must be people here that have gotten $70+ for shit like Joe Farrell 'Upon this Rock', or the Soulful Strings XMas album w/ 'Jingle Bells'. The market for breaks was sheer lunacy for a while.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    The market for breaks was sheer lunacy for a while.

Must be nice for A Pearson to be able to jump into the time machine whenever he wants to.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I remember only 4 years back Raj was able to get like $60 or $70 for some $5 Urbie Green record.

• well 10 years ago I was 17, but honestly I've never cared about breaks. But it's not like CTI is some mega rare private label, I dunno that just seems ludicrous to me.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    All these fools must feel like morons today. Oh wait, except they probably sold all their records because funk 45s aren't the "in-crowd" thing anymore.

• well 10 years ago I was 17, but honestly I've never cared about breaks.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to imply that not being into breaks is a bad thing. There was just a time when 'breaks' was a genre unto itself, and people were paying through the nose for seriously common records. $50 for copies of the 'Misdemeanor' 45 and shit.

• well 10 years ago I was 17, but honestly I've never cared about breaks.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to imply that not being into breaks is a bad thing. There was just a time when 'breaks' was a genre unto itself, and people were paying through the nose for seriously common records. $50 for copies of the 'Misdemeanor' 45 and shit.

If you still want to experience that last phenomenon, Dusty Groove would be glad to help you oblige.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    4-5 years ago I got something ridiculous like $117 for a copy of the first Blackbyrds lp.

You almost feel bad. Almost.

• i got something like $150 or $250 for The Avenue- Hot & Nasty LP a couple years ago. Dude in the Netherlands pays, I ship it to him. A month later it comes back return to sender. Dude never returned my emails.

I should throw it back up on ebay to see what I could get now.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    4-5 years ago I got something ridiculous like $117 for a copy of the first Blackbyrds lp.

You seem to get ridiculous money pretty often for your 'BREAKS' auctions.

• Back in 2004 I sold:

Ballinjack s/t $50
    Bernard Wright - Nard $68 (which worked out great for me cause that same week I overpaid for the 2nd pressing of Ju-Par Universal Orchestra - Moods & Grooves..$80.)
    and a few others..I forget.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

You seem to get ridiculous money pretty often for your 'BREAKS' auctions.