Battle of the Breaks (RR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
This thing is happening in Sydney. I'm just wondering if this kinda thing has happened in the States, and if so, what these kind of events are usually like?Yo fellow crate diggers.I am organising an event. It will be to showcase the dopest, dirtiest,funkiest and rare breaks people have hidden in their collections.The concept is a 'battle' but thats just to make ppl. bring there best shit, so it wont be a serious intese competition, more of a showcase of sounds.Still working out final details but the plan is simply. Invite dj's,producers or just record collectors who think they got some quality shit, and get them to drop them for the crowd. Only rule is that you have to bring the shit on vinyl, 12s, 45s, LP, reissues, compliations, whatever...its got to be on wax.This aint a DJ battle, its more about content, but obviously the nicer you are on the 1s and 2s the better the set will be. All I want is people to show off the depth of their crates. Don't want a bunch of dudes just playing Apache and JB breaks...we want to hear the shit that will fuck ppls head up.... thats 'get fucked' factor. those records that you just cant believe sound so dope.Now I got a mental list of ppl. who i know got the goods, but anyone else out there that wants to be part of it, hit me up at XXXXXXXXXXalso if ppl. here have any constructive comments about the idea, or would like to help with it, email me.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Question: if the rule is vinyl only, why are comps and reissues kosher?

• i agree. comps and re-ish should be strictly forbidden! unless it is an original comp that the said song appears on exclusively. peace, stein. . .

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i agree. comps and re-ish should be strictly forbidden! unless it is an original comp that the said song appears on exclusively. peace, stein. . .

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i want in

• also dont be upset when the 16 participants outnumber the attendees. peace, stein. . .

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    true that, thats some nerdboy shit!

I'd rather get crunk with some reggaeton! hahah

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    also dont be upset when the 16 participants outnumber the attendees. peace, stein. . .

LOL! Now THAT is funny Einstein!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    haha... yeah - the comps thing is somethign I'll raise with the promoter. I agree with Einstein's point on that. I mean, i got synthetic substitution on an aussie-only LP that came out in the 70s, which is different to playing some UBB reissue of it in the sense of what the night will be about.

And yes - I am totally aware of the nerd factor in a night like this. I think it will also be fun though. I've signed up and had confirmation that i'm in so we'll see how it goes. It's slated for early November.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    There was something like this at the b-boy jam Mighty-4 a couple of years ago. They had a bunch of b-boy break hunting DJ's play head to head for 10 minute rounds. I think Paulskee said he was going to try and setup another battle for the b-boy/break DJ's. They had similar rules...no Microwave and all vinyl.

It's happening and I'm amped like a motherfucker

• kill em, mark

Dude, it's about playing good, rare music. It's not quite as serious as perhaps the first post might have implied, but it will try to steer away from the kind of funk that people always play at rare groove/funk/B-boy events.

And hey... no one's asking you to come!

• no one's asking you to come!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude, it's about playing good, rare music. It's not quite as serious as perhaps the first post might have implied, but it will try to steer away from the kind of funk that people always play at rare groove/funk/B-boy events.

Still sounds silly. And how broads are in "Rare Music" anyway? Sounds like a sausage fest to me.

Unlike posting to Soul Strut?

• I think this would be fun, but I do think it should also be b-boy oriented...This would bring more of a crowd and a good way to judge how good the breaks are is to see how the dancers react!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Still sounds silly. And how broads are in "Rare Music" anyway? Sounds like a sausage fest to me.

You are suggesting that it should be hosted in your ass?

Shit sounds like fun. I know I got a few records that would make people shit their mom's pants. And that doesn't even make sense. Thats how good they are. I'd love to go to something like that. I'm sick of going to bars with shitty music just because there's a coupla bitches there. I'm married. Take me To the Sausage Fest w/out the bells for days.

• if its b-boy orientated, won't that rule out all your downtempo behind the wall of sleep shits that go on for years...?