Lonnie Smith Move Your Hand Blue Note ??

baggiobaggio 62 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Hey guys,A bit of help on this one. Just picked this up and wondering if this record has ever been re-issued - I have the Liberty pressing. It has the Van Gelder stamp on the vinyl and numbers are BNST 84326B and BNST 84326.A RE. That "RE" scares me a bit. Thanks in advance,b

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I've seen a reissue, but it wasn't on Liberty, I believe. The reissue has a very shiny cover, if I remeber correctly. The Liberty pressing isn't laminated, right?
    The reissue didn't look like an old original pressing. And I doubt that the reissue was a gatefold. I couldn't open the reish! But I remember that it looked "flimsy"!

• baggiobaggio 62 Posts
    Thanks for the reply. Weird though, this look like an original Blue Note, its definately a gatefold and it has the Van Gelder stamp on the wax, its just the seriel number scares me a bit. To be honest, I didn't even know that this record was re-issued.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A bit of help on this one. Just picked this up and wondering if this record has ever been re-issued

Didn't EMI reissue this on vinyl in the 90's?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A bit of help on this one. Just picked this up and wondering if this record has ever been re-issued

Didn't EMI reissue this on vinyl in the 90's?

Yeah, the Rare Groove series of BN vinyl and CDs. The OG is a gatefold, the US reish looks it, with no gatefold and glossy 90s printing. It's a decent reish though, probably the last batch that Blue Note reissued properly on LP.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Thats probably at the tail end of RVG trail-off stamps so I'd be surprised if there were two different issues w/that... thats all I have to contribute however.

And what I mean to say is its most likely original.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks for the reply. Weird though, this look like an original Blue Note, its definately a gatefold and it has the Van Gelder stamp on the wax, its just the seriel number scares me a bit. To be honest, I didn't even know that this record was re-issued.

Blue Note may have kept this in print through several label variations. All recent Blue Note reissues should be easy to spot and should mention Capitol or EMI. Seems to me most all have tiny print on the sleeve and label that originals don't have. The hardest to spot are 80s presses from Japan, but it should say Japan somewhere.

I've never heard of any hard to catch Blue Note bootlegs.

Dan

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Blue Note may have kept this in print through several label variations.

Hard to tell with Blue Note labels. As best as I can tell, they never really dumped the classic blue-and-white logo, did they? Even when they changed the design, it seems like they just kept alternating that old-school label with whatever current design they were using at the time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they started using the blue & black label around '69, but then I have a Lou Donaldson from a year later*** which still has the classic blue and white, so "Tell Me Who Can Say?" (As the band Yellow Sunshine would have put it...)

***Everything I Play Is Funky, from 1970[/b]

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    But isn't there a concrete time when the RVG stamp no longer appears?