Ike Turner Black Mans Soul OG check

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I recently got one off a set sale but noticed it had a white inside cover and no paste on. Because this album is from '68 or '69 I would assume it should have a brown inside and paste on back, but I've seen this question asked before. Can someone let me know the deal?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Pompeii used the inside white, no paste on, from the get go I believe, the only ones I have seen are blanca...the reissues have that Scorpio vibe about 'em...did ya smell it?

• No paste on
    You have the OG

• I know there was a 1980's era repress of this that I have ran into before, not too much of a aesthitical difference, the cover had a slightly different shade...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    One has a black and white cover, the other is in color.
    I'm assuming the black/white came first.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts

Actually the color one came out first.

I have sold my OG copy and replaced it with the German pressing (i forgot the label name, something simular to 'parlophone'), which can be picked up for peanuts. The cover-art is much better on the German one.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

1st press (colored cover) is way harder to come by.

• One has a black and white cover, the other is in color.

I have sold my OG copy and replaced it with the German pressing (i forgot the label name, something simular to 'parlophone'), which can be picked up for peanuts. The cover-art is much better on the German one.

it's on "Bellaphon" with an totally different cover -
    also the "A Breast of Soul" compilation has a full color cover

it's on "Bellaphon" with an totally different cover -
    also the "A Breast of Soul" compilation has a full color cover

the promos are black and white on the "A Breast of Soul" comp...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

the promos are black and white on the "A Breast of Soul" comp...

All the copies I've ever seen of A Breast Of Soul had B&W covers. A [color:red]color[/color] sleeve exists too?

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    it's on "Bellaphon" with an totally different cover

Thanks, that's it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Can we see this cover?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I found both this (B&W-sleeved) LP and an Ike & Tina on Pompeii (Get it Togther?) for cheap recently... the sleeve on both is as described above, flimsy and white inside... I knew this had come up before on here a while back but its unsearchable now. From what I remember this issue isn't long after the OG though, and I would find it really hard to believe that Atlantic reissued these obscure-ass albums in the 80s (both were from a collection that from what I can recall ended around the mid-70s).

• salviasalvia 279 Posts

Can we see this cover?

Sure, i'm not at home right now though. But i will post a pic when i get home tonight.

[color:green]I found both this (B&W-sleeved) LP and an Ike & Tina on Pompeii (Get it Togther?) for cheap recently... the sleeve on both is as described above, flimsy and white inside... I knew this had come up before on here a while back but its unsearchable now. From what I remember this issue isn't long after the OG though, and I would find it really hard to believe that Atlantic reissued these obscure-ass albums in the 80s (both were from a collection that from what I can recall ended around the mid-70s). [/color]

Y'all are forgetting - even in the sixties, labels were starting to experiment with white cardboard instead of brown. It wasn't widespread, but before the decade was over, some labels like Nashboro and Elektra were not only doing the white cardboard thing, but they were using full color on both sides (this was back when the normal thing was color on the front and B&W on the back).

Additionally, just because Atlantic was handling a small label doesn't mean they went through the same graphic designer. So if you see a Pompeii white cardboard cover, it's possible that that was how they were being made back then.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts

The original color cover had the paste-on back slick. I always assumed the b&w cover (no paste-on) came out right after in the early 70s. I have a color version of the Abreast of Soul comp too (with paste-on back slick).

Jewbacca...if this is the one you got from me on Waxi, then it's def. the b&w og.

The original color cover had the paste-on back slick. I always assumed the b&w cover (no paste-on) came out right after in the early 70s.

Not to confuse matters, but I thought Pompeii would have been out of business by the early '70s.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This has come up so many times that it really needs to be a sticky. B&W sleeve is not paste-on, not brown inside... it's like an Electra sleeve. I've had 2 and both were like this and both were definitely not 80's or 90's. Last I remember it seemed fairly decided upon that the color sleeve is maybe a year earlier.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The really question is: is the sound quality equally shitty on the color-sleeve pressing?

The really question is: is the sound quality equally shitty on the color-sleeve pressing?

• The really question is: is the sound quality equally shitty on the color-sleeve pressing?

I think they sound pretty much the same. The color sleeve one might be just a little bit better, but that's probably due to better pressing & heavy Atlantic vinyl.

One thing I have noticed is that if you switch your amp to mono, it sounds a hell of lot better.
    According to sleeve notes, some of the tracks were originally recorded mono and then artificially reprocessed for stereo. Especially those tracks sound awful when listened to in stereo. Some really strange instrument panning going on there. Switching to mono adds a lot more punch to the songs. Works for both color & b/w cover pressings.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts

Can we see this cover?

Here you go..

The only mention of the title "A Black Man's Soul" in on the label though. So the 2 times i've seen it listed on ebay, it was listed as "Ike Turner & the Kings of Rhythm - S/T".