Real Genius Appreciation

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
this movie was the shit back in the day. val kilmer was cooler than cool. the ice scene. i always wanted to have a secret passageway behind my closet. never mind the house full of popcorn!

Comments

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    Lazlo.

• How has this slipped beneath my radar?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i was mesmerized buy the roller coaster in the dorm room as a kid. when i got to school, sadly no hidden doors/roller coasters could be found.

edit: yo shit. IMDB is saying Stacey Peralta was in this movie???? i don't recall that.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Kent, this is god. Stop touching yourself!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yes! This movie rules.

ice-slide party!

"KENT, THIS IS GOD. YOU'VE BEEN TOUCHING YOURSELF
    AGAIN, HAVEN'T YOU, KENT?"

hahaha!
    when they put kent's car in his room!!!!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I was in elementary school when this came out, and I spent some of the summer up in Toronto where one of my best friends had moved to. We watched this movie and I flipped over it. I figured because I had seen it in Canada it was a Canadian movie, so when I got back to town I boasted to all my friends how I had seen this awesome Canadian movie over the summer that they'd probably never get to see. But when I described it to them, they were like "Nah... we saw it too."

• Options
    hahaha!

I could never figure out how they did that.

At one point I tried to find a Laslo .jpg to use on somebody on here, but came up empty.

hahaha!

At one point I tried to find a Laslo .jpg to use on somebody on here, but came up empty.

youre obviously not a real genius. could you figure out how to install fm frequency into fillings?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I ride for val.

seriously he is/was one of my favorite actors of all time.

top gun. heat. real genius. tombstone...and his magnum opus: TOP SECRET. one of the best comedies of all time.

he's got some dogs for sure, but I ride for his catalogue mostly.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    hahaha!

In 1994 MIT students put one of the campus police cars
    on top of the "Great Dome" building:

It did turn out to be something of a hoax, it was the
    frame of a car over a lightweight wooden shell. Pretty
    cool when I saw it on the morning news, though - and I
    immediately thought of Real Genius ... as I often do when
    on the MIT campus ...

• Options
    I ride for val.

top gun. heat. real genius. tombstone...and his magnum opus: TOP SECRET. one of the best comedies of all time.

I know someone who worked for him when he did that movie where he was a highend burglar, i think it was called The Saint. Apparently he's one of the biggest assholes in hollywood.

I ride for val.

I know someone who worked for him when he did that movie where he was a highend burglar, i think it was called The Saint. Apparently he's one of the biggest assholes in hollywood.

...and an insane Jesus freak. but I can't fuck with his catalogue; he counts among his work 2 of my favorite movies evar (Heat and Top Secret).

I ride for val.

...and an insane Jesus freak. but I can't fuck with his catalogue; he counts among his work 2 of my favorite movies evar (Heat and Top Secret).

yeah, he was my absolute favorite. i heard he was an asshole.
    are you overlooking THE DOORS intentionally.

are you overlooking THE DOORS intentionally.

no.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Lazlo.

I didn't realize it until later but Jon Gries (Lazlo) was Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Seriously, this is one of my favorite comedies of all time (even though the protagonist was practically a prototype for "Project Runway" Austin's whole look).

I grew up really close to CalTech and used to take math classes there while still in high school (just one of the many "joys" of growing up in an overachieving Chinese immigrant family but enough with that) so me and my cousin would just walk around campus to see what was up.

Let me put it this way: most of the stunts in "Real Genius" are only SLIGHTLY exaggerated. I remember one time, we saw these mini-train tracks coming out of a dorm entrance and looked inside and someone had laid tracks throughout the entire dorm floor (didn't see the actual train though) and we used to hear of rumors of an extensive steam tunnel system beneath the campus complete with arcade rooms (this was the '80s after all) and other hidden hideouts.

My high school physics teacher taught many students who ended up attending CalTech so he'd regale us with stories about shit that would go down too, one of my favorite being how a bunch of CalTech students managed to steal a MiG jet and park it on their professor's lawn. Personally, I always thought this was juuuuust a bit apocryphal but who knows? I was there during the time of the infamous Hollywood sign takeover which did seem like real genius to those of us who saw it go down.

If this sort of thing is your cup of tea though, I highly recommend the books of the late Richard Feynman, especially this edited anthology, "Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character" where he talks about his life in science including his many years at CalTech.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

are you overlooking THE DOORSWillow intentionally?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

are you overlooking THE DOORSWillow intentionally?

Lazlo.

I didn't realize it until later but Jon Gries (Lazlo) was Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    hahaha!

This has been done for real many times. British soldiers (Royal Engineers I believe) have done this. Basically you pull the panels off, engine and trans out and reassemble. With a crew of maybe 10 trained mechanics it's not THAT hard.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    At first I thought this was going to be about those Bud Light radio commercials. Those definitely deserve a thread of their own as well.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I tried to watch this recently and couldn't get through it. But I personally can't stand Kilmer, he's up there with Cage IMHO.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Few things about this here.

First of all - "Falling" by the Comsat Angels is MY SHIT. Get familiar.

Second of all, beside Lazlo being in Napoleon Dynamite - let's not overlook the importance of Michelle Meyrink (Jordan) to CLASSICS of this era.

Not only was she Suzi in Valley Girl....but she was Judy, Gilbert's girlfriend ("Judy's a nice name Gilbert." "Big deal did you get in her pants?" "She's not that type of girl booger" "Why, does she have a penis?") from REVENGE OF THE NERDS. Topping it off with Real Genius? Wow.