Hip hop 45 picture sleeves...

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
What's out there? I have "Goin' Back to Cali" with Less Than Zero art, and "You Be Illin' b/w "Hit It Run"... and that's it. If it had a Cassingle was there usually a 45 release?

Comments

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I think a lot must be UK only releases because i rarely see them in other countries... there's loads of them though...

• What's out there?

I'd say a good couple of hundred different ones

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I got Dr. Dre - Nuthin' But a G' Thang on 7" the other day... I think that was UK only (was there a US one?), also stuff like Dilated - Worst Comes To Worst and a gang of Def Jam ones, De La ones, etc.

There's a UK only Ultra - Give The Drummer Some picture sleeve...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I have a De La Ring Ring Ring pic 45, I think its german though. I found it in Zurich.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    As someone said, I'm sure there's hundreds of them. Off hand, Strictly Business and Arrested Development - Tennessee come to mind. If you consider Arrested Development hip hop.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

What's out there? I have "Goin' Back to Cali" with Less Than Zero art, and "You Be Illin' b/w "Hit It Run"... and that's it. If it had a Cassingle was there usually a 45 release?

Generally yes, but since the 45's were made in such low quantities (i.e. more people buying cassingles than 45's), most of them (at least in the US) didn't have picture sleeves, just a generic label sleeve. I would say that was valid up until around 1993 or so. I had posted the "It's Tricky" and "Run's House" picture sleeves awhile back, and there was also a PS for "Follow The Leader".

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I got these that I can think of right now:

Marvelous & Cash Money - All the Ugly People Be Quiet
    Spoonie G - The Godfather (Remix)
    Kurtis Blow - The Breaks
    Numerous Fat Boys Singles
    Some Stones Throw ones, Apple Juice Break and something (too recent?)

And a lot more, but I haven??t got them in front of me. I??ll see if I can post some pics later.

Are picture sleeve hip-hop 45s raer in the states?

- J

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    There was a 45 picture sleeve thread on this board ages ago, beyond the view of the 1 year search window. I can't remember who but some folks were posting heat, perhaps they can be persuaded to repost.

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    One of my faves is Marley Marl ft. Craig G "Droppin Science" 45 cover sleeve pic on Cold Chillin'.

Are picture sleeve hip-hop 45s raer in the states?

The 12" had always been the format of choice, and as with most 45's and picture sleeves, those that were bought weren't treated so well. They aren't so much rare as they are an oddity. As with pop/rock 45's, only a certain amount of picture sleeves were made for the first pressing and that was it. The cassingle would gain dominance in the late 80's and there was more of an emphasis with graphics on the cassingle (and later the CD5) than a 45. At that point, a lot of the mall stories (Musicland, Sam Goody, Eli's, etc.) started phasing out 45's. There was a story posted here about a year or two ago about a warehouse find where someone had found tons of unopened boxes of 45's that never made it to stores, all from between 1989-1992. This means that distributors just stopped sending them to stores, not giving fans an option to buy vinyl even if they preferred it. As the US phased them out, the UK kept on releasing 45's, which is why it's still an oddity to see certain songs in the format.

What Stones Throw and a number of other labels did was bring back the vibe of the 45 and the picture sleeve, which is great. I don't need to tell anyone here this.

I bring this up because I see people make inquiries like this all the time, only to turn around and jack up prices on eBay 500%, you know who you are. One common picture sleeves will now be "worth" $30 in M- condition. Bullshit.

• One of the more recent joints i picked up was the A-Trak 45 pic sleve, knuckleheads bw straight bananas.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Ha.

I lived out in the U.K. for several years and I can say that almost every popular rap 12(and thensome) has been released on 7in.Almost all the Gang Starr 12's(from the first 3 lps),De La's,Tribe,Blacksheep,etc,etc,etc. but the only thing I really do not like about most of those 45's ,is they always have the really bad and it's always some Makintosh remixes on them(plllllluuuuuhhh).Allot of west coast rap 45's too, various shit to Divine Styler,Too Short,NWA,etc,etc,...

Oh..Juice Crew 7's for days!!!(pretty much all singles even early Prizim stuff, but released under cold chillin lbl..

the world is your oyster when it comes to rap 7's in the uk..or just Europe as a whole.

I lived out in the U.K. for several years and I can say that almost every popular rap 12(and thensome) has been released on 7in.Almost all the Gang Starr 12's(from the first 3 lps),De La's,Tribe,Blacksheep,etc,etc,etc. but the only thing I really do not like about most of those 45's ,is they always have the really bad and it's always some Makintosh remixes on them(plllllluuuuuhhh).Allot of west coast rap 45's too, various shit to Divine Styler,Too Short,NWA,etc,etc,...

See, I'd love to get a lot of that stuff. Probably an odd choice, but there was a Brixton remix of Salt-N-Pepa's "Expression" that was in the video but not on the US 12". That mix wasn't too bad, but I was wondering if that came out elsewhere, maybe the 45.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I remember Fresh releasing a few 45's, some of them with small center holes, which outside of punk and Disneyland read-along story books, is an oddity in the U.S.

• chaschas 45 Posts
    Ha.

I lived out in the U.K. for several years and I can say that almost every popular rap 12(and thensome) has been released on 7in, and I like to lace my friends with them for their birthdays.[/b]

Age[/b] is your oyster when it comes to rap 7's...

Hi Age!

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    I've got the 3 x Dope "Funky Dividends" pic sleeve 45 at home.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Ha.

I lived out in the U.K. for several years and I can say that almost every popular rap 12(and thensome) has been released on 7in, and I like to lace my friends with them for their birthdays.[/b]

Age[/b] is your oyster when it comes to rap 7's...

Hi Age!

Yo chas!!!

By all means , you are the
    and hello to you as well Brother Chas!
    We need to chill Homie!

Much peace !
    Adrian

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have a bunch of them, I'll dig the ones I can easily find out & post a pic later.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    A shop in Sydney got a gang of pic sleeve singles for mid to late 70s discofunk and early 80s rap, like lots of sugar hill stuff. They were either French or German pressings I believe.

There's also a fair few aussie pressings of hip-hop 45s with pic sleeves. I got a bunch of de La Soul titles, and stuff by the Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, Ice T etc.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've got the 3 x Dope "Funky Dividends" pic sleeve 45 at home.

oooh - that's a good one.

Man, I wonder if my Grandpop and Papa had things like this back in the DAY.
    Cause, man - this ain't worth it!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    There's a shop in Australia that had deadstock of the Steady B - Serious 7" on Jive, with the remix on it!!! That was a few months ago, probably all gone...

Another goodie I got at the same store was Gangstarr 2Deep UK only remix 7" with picture cover... there's loads of them here in the UK, I'ma start grabbing some more...

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Not 1 but TWO boo-ya tribe pic sleeves?!!

truly

Not 1 but TWO boo-ya tribe pic sleeves?!!

truly
    Can't front on the Tribe, those dudes are practically hometown heroes here in Auckland with our polynesian populus, they were still getting mobbed at their instore signing here & that was only like 5 years ago!!

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    I always pick these up when I see them. All UK presses aparty from Sidney and Kurtis Blow (both French).

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    See, I'd love to get a lot of that stuff. Probably an odd choice, but there was a Brixton remix of Salt-N-Pepa's "Expression" that was in the video but not on the US 12". That mix wasn't too bad, but I was wondering if that came out elsewhere, maybe the 45.

That Brixton remix was done by the production duo Blacksmith. I remember their remixes always had that UK "raregroove" jazzfunkfusion vibe to them. Same guys who also produced "Living In The Light" for Caron Wheeler. It's on the UK 12" and 7":

http://www.discogs.com/release/295632

Hiphop pic sleeve 45s show up on the regular here, but I never buy them. Co-sign on the ubiquitous crappy CJ Macintosh remixes. Perhaps I should start picking them up.

• haych3haych3 20 Posts
    all from the carboot in blackpool UK...

no more than 50p each...
    [/img]