Cut/Shadow @ the Hollywood Bowl

2»

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I just came back from this show here in Scotland and it was totally . The De La Soul breaks set was next level, the visuals and execution of it all was dope. I don't think anyone mentioned that they were looping and triggering loops between them with foot pedals, lots of scratching, it was definitly better than I expected than what I got from reading this post, check it out if you can peoples.

At moments it reminded me of what it would sound like if Cut and Shadow entered DMC, they took that whole DJ Radar looping thing and fucked it up on 8 turntables!

COWABUNGA!

peace.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    damn. how come i didn't know about this until two weeks after the fact?

I have been, unfortunately. I hope it was documented for a future release (and knowing both of them it will).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    John,

I don't think the SF show has happened yet. It's not too late, mang!

Yeah, that's not until mid september.

John,
    I don't think the SF show has happened yet. It's not too late, mang!
    Yeah, that's not until mid september.

I'd like to head down to that. Best to hit the parks and dig for cans. Nah, it will depend on my $$$ situation around that time. We will see.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I want to see the SF show but the rest of the lineup isn't really doing it for me. Zion I is dope but they play almost weekly in the Bay, rest of the groups are kinda dull. The youtube videos of the set were facemelting - anyone know who was doing the visuals?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

just saw the hard sell show in manchester, uk. unfortunately though, they had been booked to play in the middle of a very dancey event and they utterly ruined the night. people were so miserable in the crowd i thought they might be a lynching. it's not dj shadow's fault because obviously he had a suitcase of 45s and his set.. what's he gonna do? but the bookers messed up there big time. i wouldn't mind hearing the set again in the right context but friday night was a total disaster.

Anyone else go to confirm this?

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    I read another (visitor) review of the show (can't find it) that wasn't very nice about the manchester gig, but I guess it's fair to say that The Hard Sell doesn't fit on a dance-festival.

Went to the Amsterdam gig, which was @ a festival too. Although I thoroughly enjoyed their performance, I'm sure people who had never heard of them didn't understand what was going on.

A short review by me is here (more soon):
    http://www.solesides.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3026

also, some words are in the latest solesides news.

Curious to see/hear what the Ireland date was like.

just saw the hard sell show in manchester, uk. unfortunately though, they had been booked to play in the middle of a very dancey event and they utterly ruined the night. people were so miserable in the crowd i thought they might be a lynching. it's not dj shadow's fault because obviously he had a suitcase of 45s and his set.. what's he gonna do? but the bookers messed up there big time. i wouldn't mind hearing the set again in the right context but friday night was a total disaster.

Anyone else go to confirm this?

I mean, they played in a rave tent here at the festival, people wanted hard trance cuz everyone was off their face on drugs basically. Shadow got up on the mic and said "If you are expecting an hour of hard pumpin' house, please go to another tent", there were some cheers and laughter, then he said "I'M SERIOUS"... hahha GREAT! Sure, some people would be like "what the fuck". But the same shit happens at festivals, you got Avril Lavinge playing, the Sinead O'Conner on the same stage or what have you... pill poppers suck.

peace.

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    sample spotters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XGXHDMIJw4

this is the version of rock around the clock they started the set with..

here are them doing it live @ hollywood bowl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKK0kGQWWIA

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    We'll see. tix for the new show in LA / SoCal go on sale tomorrow...
    I'm looking forward to it