THE REPLACEMENTS

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
ALL ABOUT...AND MUST GO GET STONED NOW.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    those are the least of their efforts. Easily.

This is their towering achievement:

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    um hell yes

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

WHO'S GONNA TAKE US ALIVE

(for the real matz headz)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

C'mon, now...maybe in some thin tie and a suit we swear we can at least pretend to be adults now kind of way.

But those first 2 albums are some smoke some weed through a budweiser can on an apolstered bench seat while driving up a curb with your passenger jumping out of the moving vehicle as everyone in the backseat rolls out laughing like drunken hyenas type shit.

That's that raelness.

Then agsin I suspect you might be a couple of years older than me, which might give you a different perspective...and I was actually rocking those albums in high school circa '88 rather than when they were originall released in '81-'83.

But beyond the tomfoolery...there are some smart songs on there like Johnnie's Gonna Die, Within My Reach, and Willpower.

"Red Light Red Light Run It"

It's close, but Tim nudges it out...nothing on Let It Be matches the rock goodness of "Left of The Dial", "Bastards of Young" or "A Little Mascara". Throw in "Here Comes a Regular" and "Kiss Me on the Bus", ignore "Waitress in the Sky"(too cutesy) and BAM! a classic.

I like the cover of 'Let it Be' a million times better tho. It almost takes it on the cover alone. That cover sums up Minneapolis rock from '83-'89, PERIOD.

"Kiss Me on the Bus" is WAY MORE cutesy than "Waitress - "
    "Waitress" is a snotty diss, classic Replacements in it's
    drunken beligerence "my own sign says I'm sorry I'm smokin'"

"Kiss Me" wins me over for the absolutely unapolgetic
    cuteness of the lyrics - "your tongue, your transfer,
    your hand, your answer" ... there's always been debate about
    the lyric, "everyone's looking forward - I am (ain't) looking forward"
    - I've seen and heard it described as "looking for it" but I always
    thought it was much more clever, as in everyone on the bus is staring
    straight-ahead, but he's looking over at her ...

Then agsin I suspect you might be a couple of years older than me, which might give you a different perspective...and I was actually rocking those albums in high school circa '88 rather than when they were originall released in '81-'83.

But beyond the tomfoolery...there are some smart songs on there like Johnnie's Gonna Die, Within My Reach, and Willpower.

"Red Light Red Light Run It"

I bought Let It Be when it came out when I was a junior in HS. But that was my first 'Mats record. I went back and got the rest, and loved all of it. I just don't think the majority of that early stuff holds up as well, it is still a whole lot of fun tho. 'Buck Hill', 'Take Me Down To The Hospital', 'Customer', 'Johnny's Gonna Die'....all great....just too much filler for my tastes (even then I skipped around those two LPs a lot).

Remind me to drop a rip of their infamous 'The Shit Hits The Fans' cassette only release sometime in RealHeadz! Not something to listen to on a daily basis, but entertaining if you are a fan to hear the boys do a passable cover of the Jackson's "I'll Be There"!

Oh, what - you thought I was done?

NOWHERE IS MY HOME

"Kiss Me on the Bus" is WAY MORE cutesy than "Waitress - "
    "Waitress" is a snotty diss, classic Replacements in it's
    drunken beligerence "my own sign says I'm sorry I'm smokin'"

"Kiss Me" wins me over for the absolutely unapolgetic
    cuteness of the lyrics - "your tongue, your transfer,
    your hand, your answer" ... there's always been debate about
    the lyric, "everyone's looking forward - I am (ain't) looking forward"
    - I've seen and heard it described as "looking for it" but I always
    thought it was much more clever, as in everyone on the bus is staring
    straight-ahead, but he's looking over at her ...

I was in Minneapolis rock heaven when I got on the bus in like 1988 and who was riding downtown on the same bus but Tommy Stinson and his girlfriend. And I think he even kissed her on the bus. How cute is that?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It's good to see the love for the Replacements, because they seem all but forgotten today. People forget (or are probably too young to know) that when the '80s alt-rock scene was brewing, these guys were singled out as the Chosen Ones To Make It. Came dead close when "I'll Be You" stalled in the middle of the chart in 1989, but never quite got over. And I even remember an episode of Parker Lewis Can't Lose from 1990 or so, where Parker takes a girl to a Replacements show (that wasn't the plot, I don't think, it was just something that happened within the storyline).

But I still consider Let It Be and Tim to be their shining moment. The first two albums are good, but they could have been any ole early eighties h/c band. Pleased To Meet Me, as I said in another thread, Hasn't Aged Well thanks to glossy production, but the songs are still cool. The last few albums (a/k/a the "I'll Be You" years) are best forgotten.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    The last few albums (a/k/a the "I'll Be You" years) are best forgotten.

Gotta avoid that Paul Westerberg solo ish as well.... anybody remember those tracks off the Singles soundtrack?? Only thing that kept me from playing that shit front to back...

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    MUST GO GET STONED NOW.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

It's close, but Tim nudges it out...nothing on Let It Be matches the rock goodness of "Left of The Dial", "Bastards of Young" or "A Little Mascara". Throw in "Here Comes a Regular" and "Kiss Me on the Bus", ignore "Waitress in the Sky"(too cutesy) and BAM! a classic.

I like the cover of 'Let it Be' a million times better tho. It almost takes it on the cover alone. That cover sums up Minneapolis rock from '83-'89, PERIOD.

Really? Cuz "Let it Be" is my shit! I just discovered it a few years ago- so I think "Tim"'s on my list next.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Everyone shits on "Stink", but that was my first Replacements record, and I still love it to death. Even if "Let It Be" was better.

Everyone shits on "Stink", but that was my first Replacements record, and I still love it to death. Even if "Let It Be" was better.

"This is the Minneapolis Police....the party is over!"

Any of you record nerds have the 12" of 'I Will Dare' b/w '20th Century Boy' & 'Hey Good Lookin' that they can rip for me? One of the many stupid moves I have made was giving that record away!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    It's good to see the love for the Replacements, because they seem all but forgotten today.

The afternoon Dj at KEXP loves the Replacements and plays them on the regular. I think plenty of people
    know the deal, as evidenced by a 2 page thread.
    I Love the Mats even Pleased to Meet Me.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It's good to see the love for the Replacements, because they seem all but forgotten today.

The afternoon Dj at KEXP loves the Replacements and plays them on the regular. I think plenty of people
    know the deal, as evidenced by a 2 page thread.

Well, that's good to see. A lot of modern-day people are quick to uphold Michael Stipe or Kurt Cobain as alt-rock icons, but I hardly see ANYBODY riding for Paul Westerberg the way I used to 20 years ago. Maybe it was all them lame solo albums that did it.

I like some of his solo albums - the Mono/Stereo albums
    have some really good material on them. I saw him do a free
    in-store live appearance at Virgin for the "Stereo" release,
    and it was great ... he did a bunch of Replacements stuff
    but would forget the lyrics to some of it and need help
    from the crowd to get back on track ... sloppy, but endearing.

KISSING IN ACTION

• I like the cover of 'Let it Be' a million times better tho. It almost takes it on the cover alone. That cover sums up Minneapolis rock from '83-'89, PERIOD.

Some friends of mine live in Minneapolis and one of the times I visited them I rolled up to their new place on Bryant to discover it was that house. I was beyond geeked, even went down to the basement just to have been in it.

I'd take Let It Be over Tim any day. The good songs on Tim are amazing but it was always way too bumpy to me. I was never a fan of the sound on that album either.. even PTMM seemed more neutral to me.

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I can listen to "Alex Chilton" over and over again....

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I was lucky enough to see the Replacements 5-6 times starting with a show in Athens in the early 80's that was one of the best shows I've ever seen period. The band was on fire and when 1AM rolled around (curfew in Athens back then) the owner of the 40 Watt kept yelling at the band to wrap it up and they just kept playing, Finally the owner had to literally pull the plug on the show from the side of the stage. Show over! Westerberg stuck his tongue out in disgust and a photo of that ended up on the back of an album cover (Stink I think).
    In 1984 or so I saw them at another Athens venue called Lunch Paper (an empty commercial sewing factory and fiberglass fabrication plant that had shows for a few years) with Allen Ginsberg serving as the opening act. The contrast between the crowd listening to every word of the poet followed by the most intense mosh pit I'd seen til that point was incredible.
    The last time I caught them was in 1987 in Cleveland (at the Phantasy or the Agora I can't remember). Still great but lacking the anarchy of earlier shows (Bob Stinson).

• During my freshman year, my roommate and I listened to the first three albums and Stink just about every night while going to bed. Those albums instantly take me back to that shitty dorm room whenever I put them on. I especially loved "Buck Hill" since I used to drive by it whenever I visited my cousins in Bloomington.

I know that Paul Westerberg thinks those albums up until Let It Be are "unlistenable," but I love them.

I had a hook-up to meet Paul Westerberg down in the Cities but my roommate and I never made it happen. I regret it.