Who here has a younger sister? (NRR)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
who thinks they know so much more than you? I'm 25, my sis is 18. I was just having a conversation with her about my health issues, career goals, ideals, and everything inbetween. And she was borderline lecturing me! lol Who else can relate?

Comments

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
    my younger sis is a district manager for starbuxx. she's 25 and it's still technically her 'first job' (started when she was a teenager) so don't even get me started!!!

show your sister this article, maybe it will get her to shut up! it was in the SF Chronicle today, just in time for your dilemma!

READ BELOW:

Your older sibling really is smarter, study says
    More time with adults a likely factor, some say[/b]

Kavita Mishra, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, June 22, 2007

As the oldest kid in his family, Rich Ha says there's no question he's got more brains than his 17-year-old brother.

The 19-year-old San Francisco State student says his brother is "really smart, but if we had to compare the two, I'd say me."

Lucky for Ha, experts wouldn't disagree.

Settling nearly a century of debate, researchers in Norway have confirmed what many older siblings have thought all along -- they're smarter.

Experts have been split about whether birth order in a family affects intelligence. But after conducting the largest study of its kind, Norwegian researcher Petter Kristensen said the debate is over.

"We can dismiss the theory that (intelligence based on birth order) is not a true effect, that it is an artifact," he said.

Kristensen and his colleagues, reporting in Thursday's online version of the journal Science, also concluded it doesn't matter if you aren't really the first child. If an older sibling dies young and you end up first in the household, you'll be smarter.

The researchers looked at IQ scores in 250,000 men entering mandatory military service. They found a significant difference in IQ scores in 60,000 pairs of siblings, said Kristensen, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Oslo.

Even though the researchers looked only at men, Kristensen said previous studies say women are similarly affected by their birth rank in the family.

Turlock resident Matthew Ward said his sister, Mary, the oldest of five children, is the smartest in his family. But, he added with a chuckle, his sister, an FBI intelligence analyst with a degree in literature, reads "mostly trashy romance novels."

Frank Sulloway, a UC Berkeley professor and birth order expert who wrote an accompanying commentary for Science, noted that the difference in IQ between the oldest child and siblings was a measly 2.3 points. But that would be enough to give the older sibling a 13 percent better chance of getting into the top college -- if the world had just two colleges.

Sulloway said the findings don't really mean much for individual families, but they do have larger implications for the overall population in that older siblings who do better on standardized tests, in fact, tend to get into better colleges.

That may be true in Ha's family, but he said he and his brother won't know for sure who had the higher SAT score. Ha took the older test, while his brother took the new 2,400-point SAT.

"If we still had to take the same test, I don't doubt that I would have scored higher," he said.

The IQ tests given in the study were standard 120-question tests in arithmetic, language and pattern recognition, Kristensen said. They were taken by 18- and 19-year-old Norwegian men between 1985 and 2004.

The results put to rest one theory among researchers that a difference in IQ is due to some adverse effects during subsequent pregnancies, Kristensen said. Instead, some experts believe the study supports the idea that older children tend to receive more resources early on.

San Rafael psychologist and first-born Ann Buscho theorized that older siblings might do better on IQ tests because they have better language skills, the result of growing up in an adult environment for a longer period of time. She said standard IQ tests favor language skills.

That doesn't mean younger siblings aren't more intelligent in other ways, like emotional intelligence, she added.

Some, like Daly City resident Dan Dobleman, took exception to the study.

"I was far more intelligent than my brothers for reasons too numerous to mention," said Dobleman, 73, the youngest of six children. "I will, however, concede that my sister could possibly be smarter than I.

"I'll never tell her that."

Others, like Ricky Rainin, didn't like the idea of describing one sibling as smarter than another. "My family, as liberal as they are, would probably avoid the question," said Rainin, 25, who has a brother nearly four years his junior.

Buscho's younger sister Judy Gold, a San Francisco attorney, said she didn't like using labels, either, even though her older sister said Gold was hands-down "the smart one." Such distinctions, she said, set up a bad dynamic in the family.

In his fourth-grade classroom, Daly City teacher Julian Grant said he's noticed many younger siblings having a harder time than their older brothers or sisters. He said he'd hoped the older kids would help the younger ones, but "I find that when there's more of an age gap, the student that did better isn't as available to help the younger sibling," he said.

The study did not look at the effect of age gaps on IQ. But previous research has suggested that a younger sibling with a large enough age gap might be able to recoup the IQ points.

With a data set this large, Kristensen said the next step is to look at IQ differences in twins and possibly between fathers and sons, ending the debate of the generations.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    poast pix or ur soff

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    poast pix or ur soff

I really don't know a way to express myself without having to show a slight inkling of agitation. Get focused bitch.

JOAKS!

Interesting, but highly skeptical. IQ and standardized tests are one measure of intelligence I suppose.

JOAKS!

Dude, you surely must be an international poster.

no need to get heated. if it wasn't me, surely it would have been someone else.

but yes, i can relate:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post866326

no need to get heated. if it wasn't me, surely it would have been someone else.

but yes, i can relate:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post866326

That's why I was hesistant to post the word "younger sister". Like mawfuggas keep that inner perv to yourself! Either that or go get laid, fo real!

JOAKS, like i said.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    I turn 24 next week. My little sister is 18. I watched her get her HS diploma a few weeks ago. She is an intelligent, kind, and compassionate human being. I am really proud of her. It has been an absolute trip watching her progress so far over the last 6 years. I can't wait for the next 6.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    who thinks they know so much more than you?

I'm 25, my sis is 18. I was just having a conversation with her about my health issues, career goals, ideals, and everything inbetween. And she was borderline lecturing me! lol

Who else can relate?

Trying having two sisters who think they know so much more than you haha.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    My younger sister has always been super intelligent, witty, funny, and amazing. She is a dance casting agent in Hollywood (casts for movies/tv/music video's) and lives the good life. We were roommates while I was in school and we had a blast.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    That study is clearly bullshit. Everyone knows that the middle child is always the most balanced and gifted.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    That study is clearly bullshit. Everyone knows that the middle child is always the most balanced and gifted.

obviously you are the middle child

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Marsha marsha marsha

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts

Marsha marsha marsha

No I agree...My older brother is probably a little more book smart than I am...But I am gifted in most other areas including common sense and maturity...Lil' sis' definetly thinks she knows the deal, but she is I freaking dispise retarded ass teenagers, sometimes!!!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

obviously you are the middle child

Because I am obviously gifted and balanced?

We middle children avoid the learning curve parenting of the older sibling and the youngest sibling's molly coddling. We just get on with it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    who thinks they know so much more than you?

lol

Who else can relate?

you sound 10

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    My younger sister just graduated from Harvard Law School at 25. She already has a masters in international biz.

Not sure what that means for me.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    My younger sister just graduated from Stanford with a degree in Art History.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    My younger sister graduated from med school at 24.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    My younger sister graduated from med school at 24.

I think it means you are not actually related.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    girls tend to think they have life figured out. younger or older.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    girls tend to think they have life figured out. younger or older.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I have three sisters (one's older) (and a little brother.)
    all my sisters are level-headed, good people.
    they can all keep up drinking with me.
    i taught them all how to tune up a car, and fix the brakes and whatnot.
    haven't had any problems with any of the sisters since i was about 12 years old. Even if i do, I'll solve it the same way I did back then: indian burns and dead-legs.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Let's see... I'm 27 and my sister's 14. 14 going on 30. She most definitely thinks she's smarter than me!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Think about it yuichi. She's a starbux district manager and you post on soul strut all day. Sounds like she's smarter to me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    When the school secretary came into my grade three classroom beaming "you have a new baby brother" I was so bummed, I really wanted a sister. I changed my tune as soon as he came home.
    He is one of the smartest and raddest people I know and I would want him as a friend even if we weren't related. As much as I would like to bask in the eldest is smartest thing, I think he's smarter than me. Forget higher IQs, I've fully enjoyed my birthright as first born to torture him with snot, farts, spit and some other things that I can't believe he didn't kick my ass for when he was older and bigger.

• HL_MackenHL_Macken 18 Posts
    I have a younger sister. She has clamidia

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    I have a younger sister. She has clamidia

My bad...