A lot of cats here diss other Djs, but about what?

2»

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    OK I'll bite. Let's talk about NYC DJ parties.

Why are there only two that matter? I think I know but I'd like hear the opinions of the 50+ NYC strutter-DJs who all have elite tastes and mythical raer in their crates.

Also, isn't spinning for bong hits what it's all about, you know BITD, Kool Herc in tha park and all that? Or is it about keeping it professional so the bar is higher?

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    This is a DJ career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbNbNy96fZ8

LEARN KISS FM bootlegs!
    1 UREI MIXER + 3 THORENS MK2 TT + 1 RLA ISOLATOR + 1 REAL 2 REAL = SSSSKKKKIIILLLLSSS......... RIP TEE SCOTT I think im going to play one of my KISS MASTER MIX TAPES i have about 100.lol BIG UP BRICK CITY and ZANZIBAR.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    People who who are successful and have made money should never be critised.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    yeah as long as you are ballin' who gives a fuck about artistic integrity. and they wonder why people say hip hop is dead.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This thread is really all over the place

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts

Bollox!

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Hahaha totally. This thread is a mess!

BTW I've noticed that people read whatever they want to read. Seriously poor reading comprehension skills. People should have to take a reading skills test before they can get approved as a member.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    BTW I've noticed that people read whatever they want to read. Seriously poor reading comprehension skills. People should have to take a reading skills test before they can get approved as a member.

Bollox!!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    People are getting booked because they have fans, and you don't.

I honestly have more respect for Djs that aren't necessarily the best djs, but are succesfull because they grind at it, than kids who just post topics about other Djs all day and don't do shit to further their own careers.

Too many topics on this board =

P.S. Sorry to add to it all by starting my own annoying topic, but sometimes this dissing and complaining about real working DJs shit can get on my fucking nerves. Man up and get your careers going.

Donger,

While I understand the desire to respect people for the hustle, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me to give them props just because they work hard if what they produce is not, in fact, good.

There's a lot of dudes out there with insanely good hustle skills but lack DJ skills. All that tells me is that they're gifted in one realm (getting gigs) and lacking in another (DJing).

Likewise, I know a lot of dope DJs who simply don't have the business acumen to get out there and consistently land gigs (or move up the chain). But you put them anywhere and they'll rock shit.

What's fair? Who deserves more praise?

Personally, it doesn't make sense to me that the superior hustle gets to avoid having his or her wack DJs skills criticized if they are indeed, wack. My students often try hard on their assignments but if I get a paper full of grammatical and spelling errors, that can't construct a basic argument, that uses errant sources, etc., I don't give it an "A" on effort.

I wouldn't reward an auto mechanic who works hard but can't fix my car when he or she should be able to.

At the end of the DJ - the purpose of the DJ is to *DJ*. If you can't do that, then whatever scorn you earn is pretty legit. The hustle is part of the game, but it's not, in fact, the game.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I wouldn't reward an auto mechanic who works hard but can't fix my car when he or she should be able to.

DJ/Auto Mechanic #1 works on real common cars, 4 & 6 cylinder POS. He does a good job, gets lots of business but couldn't work on a Jaguar or Ferarri if his life depended on it.

DJ/Mechanic #2 works on high end cars, but doesn't get nearly as much business as Mechanic #1 does because for every Ferarri there are 20,000 Ford Focus. He probably has a higher skill set but feels like tuning up a Jeep Cherokee "just for the $$$" is below him.

Both have a place, both do a good job.

One works on 10,000 cars a year owned by someone named Becky.

The other works on 100 cars a year owned by someone named Dolo.

Why knock either one??

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    People are getting booked because they have fans, and you don't.

I honestly have more respect for Djs that aren't necessarily the best djs, but are succesfull because they grind at it, than kids who just post topics about other Djs all day and don't do shit to further their own careers.

Too many topics on this board =

P.S. Sorry to add to it all by starting my own annoying topic, but sometimes this dissing and complaining about real working DJs shit can get on my fucking nerves. Man up and get your careers going.

Donger,

While I understand the desire to respect people for the hustle, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me to give them props just because they work hard if what they produce is not, in fact, good.

There's a lot of dudes out there with insanely good hustle skills but lack DJ skills. All that tells me is that they're gifted in one realm (getting gigs) and lacking in another (DJing).

Likewise, I know a lot of dope DJs who simply don't have the business acumen to get out there and consistently land gigs (or move up the chain). But you put them anywhere and they'll rock shit.

What's fair? Who deserves more praise?

Personally, it doesn't make sense to me that the superior hustle gets to avoid having his or her wack DJs skills criticized if they are indeed, wack. My students often try hard on their assignments but if I get a paper full of grammatical and spelling errors, that can't construct a basic argument, that uses errant sources, etc., I don't give it an "A" on effort.

At the end of the DJ - the purpose of the DJ is to *DJ*. If you can't do that, then whatever scorn you earn is pretty legit. The hustle is part of the game, but it's not, in fact, the game.

OK this is a good read.

Now IMO the difference in DJs and Students & Mechanics is that what makes a good DJ is subjective.

Mechanic = car fixed, or car not fixed

Student = wrong answer, or right answer on test

DJ = moves me and my friends or he/she doesn't, or he moves someone else and their crew of friends etc.

Kid Millionaire, while I may have never heard him, and may hate his sound if I did, is obviously being enjoyed by crowds of people that are really into his sound. On soulstrut we have both kids and adults sitting around hating on him, yet some of these people fail to be productive with their DJ'ing at all. Maybe it shouldn't annoy me, but it does.

Also I never said I have respect for wack DJs, for some reason people keep reading that. I said I have more respect for DJs that aren't "the best" (meaning they aren't exactly living legends but they can get the job done) and get out there and are more productive than people who spend more time typing/talking shit about them.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

DJ/Auto Mechanic #1 works on real common cars, 4 & 6 cylinder POS. He does a good job, gets lots of business but couldn't work on a Jaguar or Ferarri if his life depended on it.

DJ/Mechanic #1 works on high end cars, but doesn't get nearly as much business as Mechanic #1 does because for every Ferarri there are 20,000 Ford Focus. He probably has a higher skill set but feels like tuning up a Jeep Cherokee "just for the $$$" is below him.

Both have a place, both do a good job.

One works on 10,000 cars a year owned by someone named Becky.

The other works on 100 cars a year owned by someone named Dolo.

Why knock either one??

I wouldn't knock either, unless one was talking shit about the other one. Then I would tell him I find him very annoying, and that if he doesn't like his own situation (because he obviously doesn't if he spends a lot of time dissing the other guys in his field), then he should just change his own situation.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Just to note: I said grading papers, not a scantron. The former is totally subjective, the latter is not.

Who's faulty on reading comprehension now?

(I'm playing dude!)

But I hear your point: good points who aren't godly shouldn't get shitted on just b/c they're not godly.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Just to note: I said grading papers, not a scantron. The former is totally subjective, the latter is not.

Who's faulty on reading comprehension now?

(I'm playing dude!)

But I hear your point: good points who aren't godly shouldn't get shitted on just b/c they're not godly.

That's why I always argued with my teachers!

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

YO DONG.. You are fucking annoying

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

It's my best quality!

Thanks!

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

It's my best quality!

Thanks!

TOUCHE