Indian Funk Rec's

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
So I happened to see an Indian funk comp in the store the other day, wasnt sure if I could get down with it, but Im definitely feeling it. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations about where to go next. I'm definitely leaning more towards dope comps to throw into microwave, rather than $100 raers, but im open to anything people are feeling, really just looking to be able to throw down a little mini-set here and there when the mood hits. So, whatcha got for me strutters?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    American Indian, or India Indian?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    If there's Native American funk, feel free to school me, but I was speaking on the subcontinent...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Indian at all?

I think about this "sitar beat - Indian funk" compilation from a couple of years back, but if I remember correctly it included only a few Indian artists along with sitar driven tracks from elsewhere.

Recent Bollywood comp that is really rad.

There are some native american funk things but not many and not so good.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    If you want to by actual raer vinyl pm. And yes I am talking 100+$ Indian funk.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Although "Indian funk" is a dubious genre you may want to check for tracks from the late 1960s through maybe the early 1980s.

Any of the composers below had a number of funky tunes, but not enough to warrant an Indian funk "genre." They had some funkyesque tunes, but Indians don't really do real gritty funk, if you know what i mean. Just listen to the bass and drums on so called Indian funk tracks, they aren't heavy or gritty enough.

RD Burman http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005983/

Kalyanji Anandji http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006284/

Also check for releases by Usha Uthup: http://www.ushauthup.com/discography.html . She's the singer in that "Bollywood Freaks" cover that has Indian lyrics with Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough." More on the pop and disco front, but there's some funk in her sounds.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Any of the composers below had a number of funky tunes, but not enough to warrant an Indian funk "genre." They had some funkyesque tunes, but Indians don't really do real gritty funk, if you know what i mean. Just listen to the bass and drums on so called Indian funk tracks, they aren't heavy or gritty enough.

I disagree... it's not your standard run of the mill funk, but there's plenty of it out there to warrant the genre. You wanna talk bass and drums... doesn't get much heavier than the Dharmatma Theme

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I disagree... it's not your standard run of the mill funk, but there's plenty of it out there to warrant the genre. You wanna talk bass and drums... doesn't get much heavier than the Dharmatma Theme

Possibly but the audio quality of Bollywood recordings back then was pretty bad. I grew up listening to this kind of stuff and even when I was a kid i used to wonder why my bollywood and indian vinyl sounded so weak next to my other records.

Just saw this, might want to pick it up for those east indian funk jams... seems to have all of his classics in one handy comp.

Dusty Groove

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Possibly but the audio quality of Bollywood recordings back then was pretty bad. I grew up listening to this kind of stuff and even when I was a kid i used to wonder why my bollywood and indian vinyl sounded so weak next to my other records.

I suggest you turn it up louder!
    I have "Indian Funk" for sale if you need it, PM.
    Peace
    T.N.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Isn't that "Sitar Beat" one of those deals where
    they program new drum tracks over old Indian cuts?
    I'm never able to get down with that stuff too much,
    just sounds too contrived to my ears.

I'm never able to get down with that stuff too much,
    just sounds too contrived to my ears.

Mostly re-edits... they do one track with drums over Serge Gainsbourg's Psychoastine, but it sounds good cuz it's Miles on drums and the track didn't have any to begin with. Some bonus beats that are nice too. Speaking os Serge... the La Horse 12" is real nice with some bonus beats. Won't be finding the OG any time soon

Anybody got Burning Train they'd like to sell?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Just saw this, might want to pick it up for those east indian funk jams... seems to have all of his classics in one handy comp.

Dusty Groove

I need this in my life. Thank you so much.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    two words ALEXANDER LONGRIFLE

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

I am not sure about that, but vol. 1 included Klaus Doldinger "Sitar Beat" and Dave Pike Set "Mathar", which both hit really hard and are late 60s originals.
    Raer and Especially Mathar is totally played out these days as it was easily available on a couple of 12", compilations and as 7" reissue. However, I??ve not heard a more club friendly sitar driven track from back then yet.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    check out ebay. lotta dudes from india are puting up audio clips in their auctions. i just got a lot of 45 bangers ive been looking for.

also (and ive said this on alot of hindi film funk threads), if you have an indian grocery your best bet is to ask em for a dvd collection of old bollywood songs (they'll probably rent it to you). its a nice starting point. plus ive always thought that listening to this music is half the fun. they dont make films like that anymore.

check bappi lahiri:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bappi_Lahiri

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    fox - hey! mr carpenter.

sitar driven

Best cover ever... although you need the S/T cuz it's got Send Me a Postcard. Other than that it's the same record.

• uh oh:

are these drums hard enough for you?

the Rocky sndtrk (where this joint comes from) was one of the first lp's that my boy gave me when I was first really getting into this stuff. a lot of times the funkiest material would be in the background during the film and not even make it to the actual soundtrack album. if you're looking for samples, I suggest actually picking through some vintage films.

• haych3haych3 20 Posts
    uh oh:

are these drums hard enough for you?

the Rocky sndtrk (where this joint comes from) was one of the first lp's that my boy gave me when I was first really getting into this stuff. a lot of times the funkiest material would be in the background during the film and not even make it to the actual soundtrack album. if you're looking for samples, I suggest actually picking through some vintage films.

is that madlib 5th one in...

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts

holy shit! I thought I was the only person who knew about this...haha...I've had this thing since the early 90's...and always thought it was fucking hilarious! Doesn't he kind of sound like Elvis???? haha

btw, if you like Indian music...you may like my recent solo album (I wouldn't normally suggest it [shamelessly promote], but I think you would actually really like it )...

holy shit! I thought I was the only person who knew about this...haha...I've had this thing since the early 90's...and always thought it was fucking hilarious! Doesn't he kind of sound like Elvis???? haha

I have been getting threatening emails from the Longrifle cult for the last year+.

http://waxidermy.com/2006/02/01/alexander-longrifle-best-of/

One of his sons actually agrees with my views on his father, and has been secretly supportive, but I have not heard from him in a minute. He may be in hiding.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts

I have been getting threatening emails from the Longrifle cult for the last year+.

http://waxidermy.com/2006/02/01/alexander-longrifle-best-of/

One of his sons actually agrees with my views on his father, and has been secretly supportive, but I have not heard from him in a minute. He may be in hiding.

oh...my.....god....