The Ass Hurt Anthem??? - KRS One's "I Was There"

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    does this song even have any rhymes

See: Fully Loaded Clip.

Also: KRS wasn't around when Capitol (1942) and Columbia (1888) started.

And: Lawrence-One said Jive twice. Memory is slipping, old man.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Hello?

Haven't you ever heard of SPIRITUAL ESSENCE?

DUH!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Hello?

Haven't you ever heard of SPIRITUAL ESSENCE?

DUH!

Is this on some "Before Abraham was, I AM" shit?

Truly godlike.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    This song is one of those "wait, is this a parody? Oh. No, it's not" joints. I mean, I know it's KRS but he's found a whole new level.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This is very useful--thankyou.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    pony-- WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH YOUR AVATAR? sorry thats one of the gayest things ive ever seen on here. its worse than pats bunny pic... seriously... its horrible.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    pony-- WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH YOUR AVATAR? sorry thats one of the gayest things ive ever seen on here. its worse than pats bunny pic... seriously... its horrible.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=869935&an=0&page=3#Post869935

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    KRS-One & Marley Marl - Hip-Hop Lives[/b]

shit is oight

or not, its still pretty weird to have that as your avatar. do your thing though p. peace...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    or not, its still pretty weird to have that as your avatar. do your thing though p. peace...

Well I for one think it's comedy. Where's your avatar at?

Well I for one think it's comedy. Where's your avatar at?

---- see my location for your answer

...though i will say that young gay black men sexing the camera is somewhat comedy...

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    'when that bus blew up in London, i was there'

???

what, on tour? or dead because you'd been blown up?

nagl

'when i was on holiday, something bad happened'

i was there NOT on holiday motherfucker! and more importantly which fucking bus bombing is he talking about?! could of been on some early 90s IRA steez.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

could of been on some early 90s IRA steez.
    Not to nit pick, but I'm fairly certain the IRA have never blown up a bus in London. At most their activity in England has been limited to a few pre-announced bomb threats in the financial district and direct assasination attempts of various British political figures.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts

could of been on some early 90s IRA steez.
    Not to nit pick, but I'm fairly certain the IRA have never blown up a bus in London. At most their activity in England has been limited to a few pre-announced bomb threats in the financial district and direct assasination attempts of various British political figures.

There was a famous bus-bombing on Kingsway in 1996, which may have been the work of an IRA splinter group, but either way was the result of a would-be bomber blowing himself up on a near-empty bus while on his way to another target.

The IRA's activity in England was considerably more than "a few pre-announced bomb threats in the financial district and direct assasination attempts of various British political figures", though.

i concede that 1996 isn't exactly the early 90s, but yeah i was referring to the accidental bombing. utterly unlikely that he was talking about it, but then as far as i'm aware more people died on the Tube then on the bus in regards the July 7 bombing. would be like saying the most memorable part of 9/11 is that a plane grazed the side of the Pentagon.

the troubles in Ireland are definately a dark patch in the UK's history. confuses the shit of my Anglo-Irish roots, i had great grandparents fighting for the British Army on one side and great uncles in the IRA on the other.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

There was a famous bus-bombing on Kingsway in 1996, which may have been the work of an IRA splinter group, but either way was the result of a would-be bomber blowing himself up on a near-empty bus while on his way to another target.

but I'm fairly certain the IRA[/b] have never blown up a bus in London

As far as I'm concerned, this is still up in the air.

Believe me, I'm not underestimating their efforts in England in the least. By bomb-threat I do mean that they blew shit up -- a lot of shit, at that. The most memorable incident in my mind would have to be when they almost nabbed Margaret Thatcher while she was on the shitter. But with the hope of de-bunking a lot of stereotypes that occasionally float over to the states, I would like to point out that many of these explosions were carried out primarily as (unsuccessful) economic impediments with little to no desire of causing any bodily harm. The phrase bomb-threat in this case refers to, hours in advance, said bombers notifying proper authorities that "We're going to blow some shit up, please get these people out of the way." I seem to recall the term being tossed around in the British media - I may be mistaken.

But back to Kris -- homebody's voice is still sounding nice. That's one point in his favor, right?

"I'm about to jump over this table and beat the shit out of you."[/b]

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

but I'm fairly certain the IRA[/b] have never blown up a bus in London

As far as I'm concerned, this is still up in the air.

Believe me, I'm not underestimating their efforts in England in the least. By bomb-threat I do mean that they blew shit up -- a lot of shit, at that. The most memorable incident in my mind would have to be when they almost nabbed Margaret Thatcher while she was on the shitter. But with the hope of de-bunking a lot of stereotypes that occasionally float over to the states, I would like to point out that many of these explosions were carried out primarily as (unsuccessful) economic impediments with little to no desire of causing any bodily harm. The phrase bomb-threat in this case refers to, hours in advance, said bombers notifying proper authorities that "We're going to blow some shit up, please get these people out of the way." I seem to recall the term being tossed around in the British media - I may be mistaken.

But back to Kris -- homebody's voice is still sounding nice. That's one point in his favor, right?

"I'm about to jump over this table and beat the shit out of you."[/b]

It's not really the thread to get into this but, as Doc linked to above, the IRA's concentration on economic targets over bodily harm didn't really come into play until way into their campaign. Before that there were incidents like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_pub_bombings

and this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M62_Coach_Bombing

etc etc

indeed the IRA should be ashamed of these and pretty much all their bombings. but the political and social factors that led to terrorist actions being carried out on the United Kingdom are highly complex. if the British army didn't do shit like open fire on civil right marches then maybe the Irish could be more accountable for their actions.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

It's not really the thread to get into this
    etc etc

Yes. And let's not forget that KRS-One eats babies. The man eats babies.

all that baby munching means his voice sounds good though.

• MANIPHESTMANIPHEST 40 Posts
    A lot of people diss KRS but what he is doing is bringing awareness of the essence of Hip Hop to the younger cats who grew up in the Puffy era who don???t have the reference points we have.
    People are saying Marley isnt relevant anymore and that they can make better beats than him but if anyone ???Was There??? they weren???t saying that when they were 14 years old and first heard The Symphony etc.

I feel positive about ???Hip Hop Lives??? because its that Return Of The Boom Bap mentality and another example of that effortless flow of talent that KRS, Marley and others of the Golden Era had and still have today.

• This is one digressive thread. KRS to IRA in less than 5 pages....

Did anybody get an LCD Soundsystem vibe off this song? Losing My Edge , maybe?

"I had everything before anyone.
    I was there in the Paradise Garage DJ booth with Larry Levan.
    I was there in Jamaica during the great sound clashes.
    I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988."
    http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858495241
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Losing_My_Edge

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This is one digressive thread. KRS to IRA in less than 5 pages....

Did anybody get an LCD Soundsystem vibe off this song? Losing My Edge , maybe?

"I had everything before anyone.
    I was there in the Paradise Garage DJ booth with Larry Levan.
    I was there in Jamaica during the great sound clashes.
    I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988."
    http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858495241
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Losing_My_Edge

In a way, but James Murphy had his tongue firmly planted in cheek. KRS? Not so much.

By the way, I was at the first Can show in Cologne. True story.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    A lot of people diss KRS but what he is doing is bringing awareness of the essence of Hip Hop to the younger cats who grew up in the Puffy era who don???t have the reference points we have.
    People are saying Marley isnt relevant anymore and that they can make better beats than him but if anyone ???Was There??? they weren???t saying that when they were 14 years old and first heard The Symphony etc.

I feel positive about ???Hip Hop Lives??? because its that Return Of The Boom Bap mentality and another example of that effortless flow of talent that KRS, Marley and others of the Golden Era had and still have today.

You should post here more often.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

Yes, because that's exactly who will be listening to this record.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This song is one of those "wait, is this a parody? Oh. No, it's not" joints. I mean, I know it's KRS but he's found a whole new level.

Garbage. It reminds me of the time this Asian kid was rapping on stage "United States.....blahx2 THIS IS THE UNITED STATES......blahx2 THIS IS THE UNITED STATES".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I feel
    positive[/b] about ???Hip Hop Lives??? because its that Return Of The Boom Bap mentality and another example of that effortless flow of talent that KRS, Marley and others of the Golden Era had and still have today.

Your post could have been condensed to a single word.

• why did you even bother to even check for this?

Krs hasn't made a dope joint in a looooooooooooong time (10 years?).

I have been feelin this joint...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Grassy Knoll, I was there.

• i dont like the beat or the song but i dig the concept behind it...

What's hot about the concept? hes just bragging because he's been around a while. If this was any legitimate metric of swagger then rockodelic would be the illest dude on the board