Any Die Hard MPC users ever considered an MV8800 ?

MANIPHESTMANIPHEST 40 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I have used MPC's for all my productions over the years and love my 2000XL to death. However I just wondered if any fellow die hard MPC users like Thes , Day , Einstein etc have ever considered the Roland MV8800?I have to say it looks tempting.http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLMV8800

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I think the appeal of the MPC is the ease of use and the feel/swing/sound of the machine. With that Roland box it seems like you have 1001 options and that could be cool, but if you use a computer with your production I can't imagine you will be using many of the features that come with the MV..

I know someone who has one of those and I remember it just looking too complicated. I like the effectiveness of the MPC and it always work for me so I would not consider the Roland . I wouldn't mind an 808 or a 909 though!

• MANIPHESTMANIPHEST 40 Posts
    Thanks Catalist

Dont get me wrong the MPC has always worked for me and like I say I always will use it because I love it.

Its kind of from a new toy perspective that I look at the MV but your right I can see it being a dust collector if it isnt intuitive and easy to bang out some ideas right away.

I'm just inquisitive about the machine.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    I'm just inquisitive about the machine.

I got lucky and scored an 8000 for real cheap, just got it 2 days ago. This machine is beautiful. It's really intuitive and easy to use, you can knock up tracks on the fly while recording. It's really extremely simple to use, but they use slightly different terminology to the mpc so you have to get your head around the names and the format and what the menus do. Samples are called Audio Phrases, Programs are called Patches, bars are measures etc. I got the vga out which makes it a lot easier. It's got features for days weeks months years. Barely scratched the surface so far. I sold an XL and was saving up cash for a 2500 and got a used mv in immaculate condition for less than the cost of a 2500. tidy.

If you go to the Roland website and look at the 8800 page and peep the videos there's a slightly amusing video of RZA talking about the MV.

Thanks Pundit

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I love my 2000XL, but in my mind, the biggest limitation of an mpc is that its separate from the computer, where I do most of my recording/mixing. Thats means copying over samples or resampling, and getting the MPC to play nice with the computer. Now if pro tools wasnt such an integral part of how i make it happen, i guess I could understand moving some of those functions into an MPC-style piece. But honestly, I cant see that thing fucking with the MPC or pro-tools/whatever your prefered software is. To me, seems like the worst of both worlds, the nice thing about computer recording is the endless supply of software/plugins/internet resources that you can integrate. For sampling/sequencing, I find the simplicity of the mp is the real selling point, whereas at the recording/mixing stage, simplicity's not what im looking for. Its the kind of thing that looks good on paper, but everything it does, someone else does better.

Thanks Unheard

I hear what your saying my main issue is always when my music leaves the MPC to be recorded I feel like its losing something when its eventually recorded into the computer.
    It goes through a Yamaha 01v Digital Desk and some other outboard gear to fatten it up (TL Audio Fatman etc) and I'm fine with the hands on hardware side of things but its when its in the computer that I feel uncomfortable recording cuts etc.