Amy Winehouse just KILLING IT RIGHT NOW!!!

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    As long as we're posting NAGL pics...

I haven't heard anything apart from the singles, but she's not that bad imo, at least she apparently inspired something which (I think) could be good:
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1557926/20070424/snoop_dogg.jhtml

^^^^^^ is this serious? please, please tell me no.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

How popular would she be if she looked like this?

uhhh...she basically does look like this nowadays.

meaning she's basically the 2007 janis equivalent looks-wise. back then it was hippy chic. nowadays its punk-urban-basehead chic. I don't see a huge difference. Janis did not have the benefit of photoshop and phony-lighting video production. if you tried hard enough you could find a decent-looking picture of either one of them I guess. but both were/are heinous.

I meant both of them in the present day.

The more "heinous" chicks who can sing are successful in an industry that favours tits over talent, the better imo.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    But yeah, I think race has a huge role here.

Maybe at some point in the decision to promote her race
    could have been a factor, but I don't think your average
    radio listener is like "ooo! she sounds white! she's ok with me!"

*laugh* Dude, c'mon, you think that's how racial privilege works? A bunch of folks sitting around, explicitly cosigning on people because they're white?

Please be serious.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Seriously. Guzzo is being even more knee-jerk than usual. Calm down dude and go back and read where the fuck ANYONE said "Amy is wack 'cause she's a white girl doing black music."

Fuck outta here with that bulllllllshit.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

The more "heinous" chicks who can sing are successful in an industry that favours tits over talent, the better imo.

amen.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Norah Jones made some noise back then......

Didn't that girl get a grip of Grammys?????

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts

Straight-up, this is some more Elvis shit. Same with Lilly Allen

P*****k, you know I adore you, but let's not compare Lily Allen to Elvis. Allen is one-diminsional. And so is the Elvis analysis you're implying here.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

P*****k, you know I adore you, but let's not compare Lily Allen to Elvis. Allen is one-diminsional. And so is the Elvis analysis you're implying here.

Elvis, while a hero to most, never meant schitt to Young Phonics.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

I don't mean "elvis" in terms of Lilly havingcultural impact as Presley, but in terms of white folks making music that's genrally made by people of color and re-packaging for a largely white audience that also champions and parades them around as amazing. How is that any different from what Elvis did? Or what happend to Little Richard with "Tutti Frutti".

I mean also the fact that we have any equally talented artist with a smimilar sound like Nicole Willis still being a fringe artist at best does show some evidence that Winehouse's race does matter in her blowing up.

YOU WANT BEEF?!?!?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I don't mean "elvis" in terms of Lilly havingcultural impact as Presley, but in terms of white folks making music that's genrally made by people of color and re-packaging for a largely white audience that also champions and parades them around as amazing. How is that any different from what Elvis did? Or what happend to Little Richard with "Tutti Frutti".

I mean also the fact that we have any equally talented artist with a smimilar sound like Nicole Willis still being a fringe artist at best does show some evidence that Winehouse's race does matter in her blowing up.

YOU WANT BEEF?!?!?

Is it just because she's getting lushed over in the US now the reason? Have you not checked out a shit load of UK Soul for the last 20-25 years...

"now the reason" what? why would i care about the UK in this arguement? And naw I haven't checked out Northern Soul, I don't have a scooter or a marcossa hair cut.

AMERICA > EVERYONE ELSE

AMERICA > EVERYONE ELSE

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    a marcossa hair cut.
    ZING

• SHE IS UGLY AND HER MUSIC IS CRAP. CLOSE THREAD

YOU WANT BEEF?!?!?

Love,
    Neta

• dayday 9,611 Posts

YOU WANT BEEF?!?!?

Love,
    Neta

allow me...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Seriously. Guzzo is being even more knee-jerk than usual. Calm down dude and go back and read where the fuck ANYONE said "Amy is wack 'cause she's a white girl doing black music."

Fuck outta here with that bulllllllshit.

my posts were stenched up in a whole lot of sarcasm.

Honestly I like the Amy Winehouse, I like the Daptones too (who are also pretty darn white). The only thing I wanted to point out is how some people tend to go in for image over the product.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

When Winehouse was basin' at Coachella, I was there.

hilarity

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "now the reason" what? why would i care about the UK in this arguement? And naw I haven't checked out Northern Soul, I don't have a scooter or a marcossa hair cut.

AMERICA > EVERYONE ELSE

First off, I was talking about UK Soul. But maybe you should be thinking about the haircut & scooter anyways.

And, I was pointing out UK Soul because, for the last 20-25 years everybody there has been making it and enjoying it (From all backgrounds. Including alot of people not of colour). It's just that almost nobody from the UK has ever received any support or recognition from the US.

I'm just wondering if race in music matter only when it hits US shores?

For those of you confused by the hair and the eyeliner:

The Ronettes

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    But yeah, I think race has a huge role here.

Maybe at some point in the decision to promote her race
    could have been a factor, but I don't think your average
    radio listener is like "ooo! she sounds white! she's ok with me!"

*laugh* Dude, c'mon, you think that's how racial privilege works? A bunch of folks sitting around, explicitly cosigning on people because they're white?

Please be serious.

I didn't think we were talking about "racial privilege," but
    whether white people like her because she's white.

If you mean it in the same way as why the Beastie Boys and
    House of Pain get airplay on rock stations, then yes, I agree
    her race may have more than a little to do with it.

The Ronettes

so you're saying she's a biter.

she-sha:

i'm afraid to ask and know, but are you riding for Joss Stone with her latest accesory: a newly validated Raphael Saadiq? She traded in her Questlove co-signing and got an upgrade.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

The Ronettes

so you're saying she's a biter.

Well, She definitely has her own interpretation.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts

And, I was pointing out UK Soul because, for the last 20-25 years everybody there has been making it and enjoying it (From all backgrounds. Including alot of people not of colour). It's just that almost nobody from the UK has ever received any support or recognition from the US.

I'm just wondering if race in music matter only when it hits US shores?

When UK soul acts have had sufficient character and originality, they've had success in the US (Sade, Loose Ends, Soul II Soul), although they haven't been exclusively black. Sade's band was white, and the contributions of both Nellee Hooper and Simon Law were integral to Soull II Soul's sound. The tradition of white acts from the UK working within a "black" idiom, broadly speaking, goes back much longer than a couple of decades as well. Not so much the likes of the Stones, Zeppelin or Fleetwood Mac, who all transcended their blues roots fairly quickly, but acts like Dusty Springfield or Georgie Fame, and to a lesser extent Van Morrison, Robert Palmer and Stevie Winwood, whose music has remained fundamentally rooted in soul/rhythm & blues for most of their careers.

Amy Winehouse has blown up internationally because her new record is more commercial than her first, and all the tales of excess are just a convenient angle for the tabloids and the celebrity gossip network to build their stories on. She caused a bit of a stir over here when she first came out, not being short of a forthright opinion on many of her contemporaries and that, but now she has a bonafide hit, her behaviour and her pronouncements are considered a little more newsworthy. Without that hit, it's unlikely anyone would care. America certainly wouldn't.

she-sha:

i'm afraid to ask and know, but are you riding for Joss Stone with her latest accesory: a newly validated Raphael Saadiq? She traded in her Questlove co-signing and got an upgrade.

God no. Joss Stone is shit. Always has been. Raphael Saadiq didn't validate her. She invalidated him.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Joss Stone's voice > Amy Winehouse's voice.

Winehouse retro/rehash production > Stone's Saddiq's production

Alice Russell > both of them.

she-sha:

God no. Joss Stone is shit. Always has been. Raphael Saadiq didn't validate her. She invalidated him.

haha. yeah I should of put validated in quotes. I meant that as a joke actually, but sadly dudes ability to pull Joss Stone might give him the fans and or maybe the attention from certain groups of people that he should of gotten since Instant Vintage (or before).

BATMON:

Some Alice Russell is cool, but overall i'm not amazed by her. She puts out way too much and a lot of it being

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Alice Russell puts out way too much

holy shitballs what do you think is living in there?

hottest schitt this summah: do-it-yourself tattoos.