virginia tech

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

What might be a cheap & easy way to start is getting doors that lock. Call me crazy. Most of the info I've seen talk about how students had to barricade doors with their feet. How is VT going to "lock down" when the doors don't even lock?

I am not being cute, here, but I imagine that having doors that lock from the inside on a college campus would probably be seen as some kind of liability or insurance nightmare (ie. there's a fire, and the doors can't open, locks malfunction, etc.) that I doubt that this will be seen as a serious solution. People would rather promote the creation of new and pointless laws that 'prevent' that which cannot be predicted, nor probably prevented.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    In a different world Id be for gun control. Not this one, it's too late for that.

That's just outright apathetic and LAZY. Change your world, every day my man.

You need to back up with that shit, dude. You don't know me or my reasons. Apathetic and lazy I AM NOT.

Violence has touched my life in too many ways. Call me paranoid but I want the ability to protect myself.

Like I said, someone got shot in the head in front of me over basketball. An friend was shot with a shotgun and killed. Another was shot , not killed, by some religious freak. These guns aren't legal.

No I don't know you but it's unbelievably callous and presumptious to assume that I have not been touched by gun violence because I hold the views that I do. I've never shot anyone, but I've packed. I've had friends and neighbors die from guns. I've seen way too much of this in my life, yet I decided that there needed to be a change because I didn't want to perpetuate the cycle of violence. I got rid of my gun at 25 and I never looked back. I changed my world, and my life is better for it. I'm sorry that you can't see what I'm saying. I wish you did, and if my opinion of your view is not to be "apathetic" or "lazy" then it's something else but I'm going to hold my tongue.

No, I think FirmeRola and I are both saying that there is not one, singular problem to solve.

Get rid of guns. I'm not just thinking hand guns (concealable or for show). I'm thinking ban ALL un-liscenced gun-ownership. Liscences only provided with a good reason to own or use a single shot[/b] rifle - nobody needs to hunt or keep rabbits/rats down with an Uzi or a magnum.

There IS undeniably a gun culture in the USA, but it is far from being a monolithic, one sided negative as many opponents would paint it.

What exactly are the positives to being able to shoot somebody?

People want action. Well, in this case, against what exactly?

Easy access to guns. There is no reason for it.
    I don't know if you are a US citizen or not, but it is a constitutional right to bear arms. Just saying. I would also assume from your statements that you are about 12 years old.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In a different world Id be for gun control. Not this one, it's too late for that.

You need to back up with that shit, dude. You don't know me or my reasons. Apathetic and lazy I AM NOT.

Violence has touched my life in too many ways. Call me paranoid but I want the ability to protect myself.

Like I said, someone got shot in the head in front of me over basketball. An friend was shot with a shotgun and killed. Another was shot , not killed, by some religious freak. These guns aren't legal.

No I don't know you but it's unbelievably callous and presumptious to assume that I have not been touched by gun violence because I hold the views that I do. I've never shot anyone, but I've packed. I've had friends and neighbors die from guns. I've seen way too much of this in my life, yet I decided that there needed to be a change because I didn't want to perpetuate the cycle of violence. I got rid of my gun at 25 and I never looked back. I changed my world, and my life is better for it. I'm sorry that you can't see what I'm saying. I wish you did, and if my opinion of your view is not to be "apathetic" or "lazy" then it's something else but I'm going to hold my tongue.

If you had been "packing" down in ATX you might have kilt that dude, eh??

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

No. Would you have? Rock, is it that easy for you to TAKE A LIFE?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

No I don't know you but it's unbelievably callous and presumptious to assume that I have not been touched by gun violence because I hold the views that I do.

I made no such assumptions about you but whatever. I share my experiences and get this shit. Fuck off, dude, for real, unless you want to engage in something less than name calling I'm done.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

No I don't know you but it's unbelievably callous and presumptious to assume that I have not been touched by gun violence because I hold the views that I do.

I made no such assumptions about you but whatever. I share my experiences and get this shit. Fuck off, dude, for real, unless you want to engage in something less than name calling I'm done.

I call it as I see it, holmes. No sweat to me. But obviously I don't "get this shit." I'm done.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    The right to bear arms in this country is not predicated on the right to hunt, or the right to defend oneself against criminals. It is predicated on the fact that the founding documents of this country assert the peoples' right to rise up and depose their government if the government becomes despotic.

That's why the right to bear arms is in the Constitution, and that's why it needs to stay there.

WOW. I tought i was crazy...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    If I didn't have this gun, the King of England could just walk in here any time he wants, and start shoving you around. Do you want that?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

No. Would you have? Rock, is it that easy for you to TAKE A LIFE?
    Dude gets clocked, hits his head on the curb and croaks...happens all the time.

Violence is Violence.....

But like all these gun owners, you were just protecting yourself.

I did find it kind of disturbing at the amount of people that took glee in watching you deck the dude....didn't you??

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Of course I find it disturbing.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    fyi to all in this discussion:

In VA, it is totally legal to:

- buy a gun anonymously and with no background check from a tradeshow or through a newspaper ad

- buy an ak-47

- own a gun without a license

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Speaking from a country where you can't own a handgun, legally (not even our police are armed). This make sense to me.

It's not like the people who commit these acts are from a criminal background. Most seem to have bought guns legally or at least from a legal outlet. If you take away the ease of which people like this, can buy a gun, surely you reduce the risks of this happening again.

The right to bear arms in this country is not predicated on the right to hunt, or the right to defend oneself against criminals. It is predicated on the fact that the founding documents of this country assert the peoples' right to rise up and depose their government if the government becomes despotic.

That's why the right to bear arms is in the Constitution, and that's why it needs to stay there.

Are you serious?!

Iraq had an army, with tanks and an airforce. Did that do them any good when the US government decided to depose their government.
    Its such an antiquated argument no wonder the US is stuck in the culture of gun violence, it is.

Yes, and the British army was the most powerful in the world at the time of the American revolution, yet a bunch of farmers with rifles managed to pull off a revolution (with a little help from the French).

Keep in mind that there is a difference between 300 million people who are already on the ground in the land in question, who comprise the army in question, and who would probably recieve massive help from military defectors in such a circumstance, and the US military invading another country.

please explain why our forefathers (if they were alive today) would interpret the 2nd amendment to mean that the people have a right to own a handgun or any weapon that can be concealed. congress has already limited the type of arms that people can own. if you concede that they have this right (and that the right to bear arms is not limitless), then what would be your CONSTITUTIONAL argument for keeping handguns legal?

At no point did I mention handguns, nor do I intend to debate whether a certain class of guns should be legal while another class should not.

Yes, the right to bear arms is not limitless. You can't have a Patriot missile in your garage. Where do you draw the line after that? I'll let you all argue that, because things are getting awfully heated in here, and I have work to do.

Wow. Not only do you not understand words, but you don't understand graemlins. Awesome.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/04/lapse_of_federa.html

Lapse of Federal Law Allows Sale of Large Ammo Clips

High capacity ammo clips became widely available for sale when Congress failed to renew a law that banned assault weapons.

Web sites now advertise overnight UPS delivery of the clips, which carry up to 40 rounds for both semi-automatic rifles, including 9mm pistols, and handguns.

"High capacity magazines read extreme firepower and gusto. Stock Up!" is the headline of one of many gun shop Web sites.

Virginia law enforcement officials have not identified the weapon used in the shootings today at Virginia Tech, but gun experts say the number of shots fired indicate, at the very least, that the gunman had large quantities of ammunition.

"When you have a weapon that can shoot off 20, 30 rounds very quickly, you're going to have a lot more injuries," said Paul Helmke of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Wow. Not only do you not understand words, but you don't understand graemlins. Awesome.

Actually, I think izm may get it. What exactly you do envision? The neighbourhood watch deciding the government is rotten and using their handguns to purge the local Federal building? Shooting it out with the National Guard? Rampaging through the FBI? I feel much safer in Canada where I have no right to shoot at my government when I feel they've gone despotic. I'd rather put my faith in the rule of law than your familiarity with guerilla warfare and bomb making.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    this dude is on my top 5 rite now...let him do Danno...
    Like there's a rule to use graemlins. Man, i'm a man on my own, i make rules, and you follow them...In that case you needed a waaaaaaambulance to take you straight to the psycho ward. I know you got that straight.

• They are called wingnuts cause they have no problem with letting the assualt weapons ban expire

The assault weapons ban was a ridiculous gun control law. Most often, what it amounted to was banning guns with assault rifle grips on them (pistol grips). So, to get around the ban, people would bore holes into the wooden stocks of their rifles to create a grip.

Among the other classifications of assault rifles:
    bayonet mount
    folding stock
    detachable magazines
    flash suppressors

I know lots of hunters who use AKs.

I have seen people sell AKs at shows without background checks or licenses. That needs to stop.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    this dude is on my top 5 rite now...let him do Danno...
    Like there's a rule to use graemlins. Man, i'm a man on my own, i make rules, and you follow them...In that case you needed a waaaaaaambulance to take you straight to the psycho ward. I know you got that straight.

Holy moly.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/04/lapse_of_federa.html

Lapse of Federal Law Allows Sale of Large Ammo Clips

High capacity ammo clips became widely available for sale when Congress failed to renew a law that banned assault weapons.

Web sites now advertise overnight UPS delivery of the clips, which carry up to 40 rounds for both semi-automatic rifles, including 9mm pistols, and handguns.

"High capacity magazines read extreme firepower and gusto. Stock Up!" is the headline of one of many gun shop Web sites.

Virginia law enforcement officials have not identified the weapon used in the shootings today at Virginia Tech, but gun experts say the number of shots fired indicate, at the very least, that the gunman had large quantities of ammunition.

"When you have a weapon that can shoot off 20, 30 rounds very quickly, you're going to have a lot more injuries," said Paul Helmke of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

Dude had time to place an internet order for new ammunition and have it delivered in between his first set of shootings and the last.

I.E...Where the fuck were the dudes hired to handle that shit before it went beserk?

Maybe instead of blaming guns, we should be looking for the exact gun that could have ended that shit relatively early on.

Then of course, we'd simultaneously have to find a single American male with any balls left between their legs, so I guess the point is moot anyway.

Now, back to more pointless intellectual circle jerking.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Then of course, we'd simultaneously have to find a single American male with any balls left between their legs, so I guess the point is moot anyway.

Now, back to more pointless intellectual circle jerking.

I knew there must be some leap of logic left in you that would surprise even me.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

I find it fascinating how so many of the same folks who have the least amount of faith and trust in our government are more than willing to let them be the only motherfuckers to have guns.
    Or am I wrong there?

I find it fascinating how so many of the same folks who have the least amount of faith and trust in our government are more than willing to let them be the only motherfuckers to have guns.
    Or am I wrong there?

I concur, it is a unique point of view.

• I find it fascinating how so many of the same folks who have the least amount of faith and trust in our government are more than willing to let them be the only motherfuckers to have guns.
    Or am I wrong there?

Because it makes no difference. They will get taken down by the will of the people if enough people want it. But the right doesn't understand this because they believe Reagan brought down the Iron Curtain.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Maybe we need to take another look at the Asian continent though.

Sorry, I know. I'll go back to cleaning records now...

That is a real ignorant comment. Yes, please go back to cleaning records and staying disconnected with the world outside of the U.S.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It was a (bad) joke, hommie. Relax. I'm so international.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Or am I wrong there?

Because it makes no difference. They will get taken down by the will of the people if enough people want it.

Makes no difference, eh?
    Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of Cubans now living in the US after risking their lives getting here.
    Point is, it's not that hard for someone like Castro to become "Presidente For Life" and outlast every US President since Kennedy when you've got the only gun on the island pointed at everyone's head.

(and not for nothing, but if you ever do decide to bounce from that island, you better be damn well sure you make it)

So let me get this straight...
    You'd rather that the only people in this country to have guns would be cops and the government of George W. Bush?
    You are cool with that?
    And say if GW steps up and becomes a regular old Pinochet?
    Or the right-wing version of Castro and makes himself "President For Life" What then?
    How would you propose to "the people" the correct way to "take down" this exclusively armed government?
    With tire irons and molotov cocktails?
    Just saying.

I remember Tiananmen Square. Do you?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Actually, I think izm may get it. What exactly you do envision? The neighbourhood watch deciding the government is rotten and using their handguns to purge the local Federal building? Shooting it out with the National Guard? Rampaging through the FBI? I feel much safer in Canada where I have no right to shoot at my government when I feel they've gone despotic. I'd rather put my faith in the rule of law than your familiarity with guerilla warfare and bomb making.

Go sip tea with The Queen and John McDonald.
    Canadians.

PS Mr Smith Goes To Washington is a relic like snapon bracelets and piano key ties.