Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense Gig

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Got this on DVD and finally got around to checking it out. Not really familiar with their output, expected it to be, I dunno, a bit DEVO-ish or whatever. Dated, cheesy 80s cringeorama.The gig is FIRE! I really enjoyed it, the whole "Start from a stool on an empty stage" to the whole "Massive background projections" whilst the band are growning with every number, really good show.Anyone else lovving it?

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I think you need one of these.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I think you need one of these.

I enjoyed it back when I saw it in the theatre. Since then my enthusiasm for Talking Heads has since waned considerably. Lots of great musicians in that band by the end of the film though.

I would suggest if you enjoy 'SMS' to pick up the double live LP 'The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads'.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Since then my enthusiasm for Talking Heads has since waned considerably.

Next you'll say, Dylan and the Beatles arn't really doing it for you any more.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I would suggest if you enjoy 'SMS' to pick up the double live LP 'The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads'.

Cosine that.

The earlier stuff is cool because the guitars jangle around more and stuff, David Byrne has a ton of great Heads / non-Heads output, but i don't think it gets better than the earliest stuff.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Cosine that.

The earlier stuff is cool because the guitars jangle around more and stuff, David Byrne has a ton of great Heads / non-Heads output, but i don't think it gets better than the earliest stuff.

I actually prefer the stuff on the second LP, the P-Funk/Labelle influenced stuff, at least they actually have members of PFunk and LaBelle on board for maximum funk. I dig 'Psycho Killer' as much as the next dude, but the versions of 'Zimbra' and 'Take Me To The River' are pretty amazing on that set.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Thanks Headz for the other recs. Will take these in. Late Pass acknowledged.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i will take "true stories" over "stop making sense" any day. i find a lot of people don't know about true stories but that is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen. its not a concert movie but its all david berne and talking heads music.

• awallawall 673 Posts

Cosine that.

um

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If this is possible I think Talking Heads is actually underrated. Great records, great ideas, great live act. Even their early side projects were good.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    Let's not even get started on the rhythm section's side project, the Tom Tom Club.

• One of my favorite concert videos of all time...

I've turned so many people people on to the Talking Heads by showing this to them.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Without a doubt my favorite album that they did. Eno was good to them on that one. And, I'm not sure, but that might even be one for the Laswellians up in this mug.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I saw the Atlanta show of that tour at the Fox Theater and its was one of the best 4-5 shows I've ever seen. Got a last minute standing room only ticket. Went down to the 10th or 11th row right before show time and sat down fully expecting to get kicked out of the seat but no one ever showed so I had a killer spot the whole show. Cute girl came up to me at intermission and handed me a bottle of Jack Daniels and said "I like the way you dance." I took a swig and never saw her again. Fucking great show!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i will take "true stories" over "stop making sense" any day. i find a lot of people don't know about true stories but that is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen. its not a concert movie but its all david berne and talking heads music.

That is a pretty damn good LP too, i really like "Dream Operator" off that.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I actually prefer the stuff on the second LP, the P-Funk/Labelle influenced stuff, at least they actually have members of PFunk and LaBelle on board for maximum funk.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I used to work in a video rental store and I'd watch this gig all the time. Great music and performance. Will watch again. A+

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    One of my favorite concert videos of all time...

I've turned so many people people on to the Talking Heads by showing this to them.

if u dig this show/compilation

u mauy be interested in some of the bootlegs i have...

namely this one from japan that is

if anyones interested drop me a pm or lemme kno on here

well worth checkin out

heres the tracklist

psycho killer
    stay hungry
    cities
    drugs
    once in a lifetime
    houses in motion
    born under punches
    crosseyed and painless
    life during wartime
    the great curve
    the book i read
    the girls want to b with the girls
    mind

does anyone have any live versions of This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)