DROUGHT IN AUSTRALIA

2»

Comments

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    My ex lives in melbourne, myself in brisneyland (Hi sheep!) and while i was down there recently i saw plenty of people using sprinklers/watering the garden. We also saw tree's getting cute down in streets, sacrificing some to save others. Sad stuff to see in what is normally a beautifully green city.

I used to go out west and muster to earn money on Christmas holidays, but the farm i went to is pretty much in the toilet.

"On average, one male Australian farmer is taking their lives every four days or so,"

• Should I feel bad that I often run the shower 15 minutes before I even get in? Naw, fuck it. I don't even pay for the water in my building.

I am definitely guilty of this...I'm could probably not do that..

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    My ex lives in melbourne, myself in brisneyland (Hi sheep!)

DUDE!

are you ever gunna come around the pad??

peace.

• yeah heard first hand over dinner from my mate's sister who was visiting from brisbane.. pretty insane eh! maybe i misinterpreted what she said, but it sounds like while brisbane has these restrictions, the gold coast has none because it has seperate water reserves. can anyone in queensland confirm or deny?

it's not too bad here in wa.. a few years back they were pretty strict on it, but i think since the state suddenly got super rich, all the irresponsible, greedy and money-hungry fuck-arses who are in power here seem to be giving little thought to future generations and just doing their best to make as much money as possible now, so it's all talk about getting water from rural areas and bringing it to the city. standard city > rural bullshit.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Yeah i understand that. But it would be simpler than building a huge desalinasation plant at kurnel. You don't even have to use the water as drinking water. Just grey water for toilets, washing machines and the garden. Most of the rain falls on the coast just out of reach of the catchments and i don't think its going to get better any time soon.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Yeah only problem with using recycled water for grey water applications only is that you need dual piping; which we don't have and would be difficult/expensive to install.

Desalination/recycling of water is great - but there is very long lead times on building the infrastructure and more importantly both use MASSIVE amounts of energy. The problem with this is most of Australia's energy is generated by burning coal, so you end up spewing masses of greenhouse gases into the air in order to treat water; which there is a lack of (probably) due to climate change. Vicious circle.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I work for a phone centre who does surveys for the goverment, universities etc. and recently i've been calling a lot of victorian farmers who can only afford to take a shower 2wice a week. Our farms are dying.

I mean in the lake in Ballarat (a rural town)is completely dry and you can walk across it. It happens to be the same lake where they held the rowing in in the 1956 olympics

Its getting worse and worse. We just have to hope we're in for a wet winter.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Here in the Uk where it does rain a fair amount, we have floods in the rainy seasons and the water shortages in the summer. It's nowhere near as bad as Oz, but I'm affriad it looks like this could well become the norm, or even get worse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3747724.stm

Here's a nice statistic for all the US peoples

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Damn. Just damn.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Here in the Uk where it does rain a fair amount, we have floods in the rainy seasons and the water shortages in the summer. It's nowhere near as bad as Oz, but I'm affriad it looks like this could well become the norm, or even get worse.

If are water companies weren???t such robbing bastards and invested some of their profits in repairing the leaky pipes the situation would be half so bad in the UK as it currently is.
    That said there is a serious shortage in rainfall and it does worry me but the water companies should get their shit together, my monthly water bill is ??130, I???d like to see some serious investment for my cash.

Environmental issues have been troubling me recently.
    Most of you probably saw the photos of the drowning polar bears that have been in the press recently, the ice caps are melting and these poor chaps are getting stranded.
    Seeing the photos really broke my heart and got me thinking about my carbon footprint.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    you ever seen ice pirates? shit is futuristic in it's corniest of fashions...

real talk though...California had a draught in the 80's...and it wasn't all that hot...trust me...shit got really expensive...and neighbors looked at you square if you ran the hose too long or washed your car (unless you were rockin the farrah faucet hair and that erin greyesque bikini suit...yeah, you know the one)...I guess this example wouldn't apply to those born in the 80's...so, you'll just have to take my word for it...

wasting water is

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    you ever seen ice pirates?

one of my all-time favorite brain waster movies. i havent seen this in ten+ years.

---why would someone run their shower water for 15min? is it cause its cold or are you just trying to get the overnight scum that settles out of the pipes? either way... it should only take a few minutes to get it to warm and you only need run the water for a minute for that scum to leave the pipes. just sayin... its a waste.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

I mean in the lake in Ballarat (a rural town)is completely dry and you can walk across it. It happens to be the same lake where they held the rowing in in the 1956 olympics.

My family used to water ski on Lake Eppalock (near Bendigo). Where we used to ski you can now walk - that's fucking scary cause it was only a few years ago.

It's an interesting point about the desal plants using so much power - how many megawatts would they use do you think? Talk about a vicous circle...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

wasting water is

But what can we, in water-rich regions, do to help the situation? I'd gladly reduce my shower time to utilitarian levels if it meant I could do some sort of positive good, but we're not suffering through a water shortage in Massachusetts right now.

Again, I ask, what can I do? Or should I continue enjoying my drinking-coffee-in-the-shower time?

And I don't mean to rub our water surplus in anyone's face. As I said, I'd gladly change my habits if it would do any good to anyone.

• wasting water is

But what can we, in water-rich regions, do to help the situation? I'd gladly reduce my shower time to utilitarian levels if it meant I could do some sort of positive good, but we're not suffering through a water shortage in Massachusetts right now.

Again, I ask, what can I do? Or should I continue enjoying my drinking-coffee-in-the-shower time?

And I don't mean to rub our water surplus in anyone's face. As I said, I'd gladly change my habits if it would do any good to anyone.

obviously situations differ - here is Australia public consiousness is at an all time high, and collectively individual conservation does make a difference, but its not that significant in the bigger scheme of things ... over the longer term smarter appliances / usage needs to be incorporated in house and building design, and a transition to fit-for-purpose use has to be encouraged (i.e. you don't use drinking water to water golf courses)

When I go to NZ the difference in attitudes is stunning - there people have no qualms about leaving the hose running for a few minutes or even the tap whilst they brush their teeth.

• thropethrope 750 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    even the tap whilst they brush their teeth.
    Guilty as charged.....every time.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

If are water companies weren???t such robbing bastards and invested some of their profits in repairing the leaky pipes the situation would be half so bad in the UK as it currently is.

Massive

If I wasn't half cut and in desperate need of bed to allow me to function at work tomorrow I'd look it up myself but I'm sure I've seen stats for London before about the amount of water that's lost due to leaky pipes and it truly is a face melting figure.

I try to conserve water wherever possible but when you're getting charged extortionate amounts for water that's barely drinkable it's hard to keep on top of the situation.

My thoughts go out to Australians right now though, that truly is some serious shit.

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts
    EVERYTHING'S COOL

It rained in Melbourne last night!!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

wasting water is

obviously situations differ - here is Australia public consiousness is at an all time high, and collectively individual conservation does make a difference, but its not that significant in the bigger scheme of things ... over the longer term smarter appliances / usage needs to be incorporated in house and building design, and a transition to fit-for-purpose use has to be encouraged (i.e. you don't use drinking water to water golf courses)

When I go to NZ the difference in attitudes is stunning - there people have no qualms about leaving the hose running for a few minutes or even the tap whilst they brush their teeth.

If Oz is anything like the UK then over 60% of water use is commercial / industrial. Seems crazy to me that individuals (home users) here have hose pipe bans and all the rest while there are no limits at all for business use.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Should I feel bad that I often run the shower 15 minutes before I even get in? Naw, fuck it. I don't even pay for the water in my building.

Yes you should, because Cali's water situation is not optimal for any type of growth. You guys are already "beyond capacity."

Why sweat it when we can just find a way to steal it from someone else? It's the L.A. Way!

Forget about her, ODub....... it's Chinatown.