DROUGHT IN AUSTRALIA

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.qwc.qld.gov.au/Draft+Level+5+restrictionsWhile the world is fighting the war on terror, my city of Brisbane, Australia is facing a serious drought at the moment. There's no more water in the dam's and they think in 9 months there will be no water. full stop. there's these crazy water restrictions (see link above) and they are talking about taking the salt out the water in the Brisbane river and using it as a reserve. And recycling sewage for drinking water....yeah, thats whats happening in my hood right now.IT WILL SUCK WITH NO WATER. PLEASE EVERYONE SEND ME A BOTTLE OF WATER + RAERSpeace.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yeah, I felt bad the other day when someone from Australia marvelled at one poster's comment about taking a half-hour shower. I take one every day. But conserving water in Boston won't help in Australia. Or will it? If so, please school a water-waster.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    water is more important than raers...

I wouldnt be suprised if water parks, car washes and pools shut down here soon....

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Sounds like a perfect time to move to Scotland.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Yeah, I felt bad the other day

but then i got over it.

Sounds like a perfect time to move to Scotland.

hahah... you read my mind

Whats up RAJ!

peace.

but then i got over it.

Yup. Can't carry the weight of the world around on your shoulders. Then I wouldn't be able to enjoy my daily half-hour shower.

but then i got over it.

Yup. Can't carry the weight of the world around on your shoulders. Then I wouldn't be able to enjoy my daily half-hour shower.

Half-hour is a long shower dude. That makes Al Gore cry.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Should I feel bad that I often run the shower 15 minutes before I even get in? Naw, fuck it. I don't even pay for the water in my building.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

but then i got over it.

Well, showers aside, wouldn't you cry if you were married to Tipper? Yeesh.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    That makes Al Gore cry.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Should I feel bad that I often run the shower 15 minutes before I even get in? Naw, fuck it. I don't even pay for the water in my building.

Yes you should, because Cali's water situation is not optimal for any type of growth. You guys are already "beyond capacity."

but then i got over it.

I know it. But I loves me my drinking-my-coffee-in-the-shower time. It's one of the best parts of my day.

And I heard that Al Gore cries 200 gallons of tears per day about the situation. Damn hypocrite.

but then i got over it.

I know it. But I loves me my drinking-my-coffee-in-the-shower time. It's one of the best parts of my day.

And I heard that Al Gore cries 200 gallons of tears per day about the situation. Damn hypocrite.

but he purchases tear offsets from Visene.

but then i got over it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

but then i got over it.

Post of the Day!

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    that pretty well sucks ass. i wonder when the rest of the planet is gonna dry up.... or flood.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    http://www.qwc.qld.gov.au/Draft+Level+5+restrictions

While the world is fighting the war on terror, my city of Brisbane, Australia is facing a serious drought at the moment. There's no more water in the dam's and they think in 9 months there will be no water. full stop. there's these crazy water restrictions (see link above) and they are talking about taking the salt out the water in the Brisbane river and using it as a reserve. And recycling sewage for drinking water....

yeah, thats whats happening in my hood right now.

IT WILL SUCK WITH NO WATER. PLEASE EVERYONE SEND ME A BOTTLE OF WATER + RAERS

peace.

I have a feeling our little buddy global warming may have a little to do with it.

Fuck this, my bad, I didn't quite understand the severity of this.

• one more - the plastic containers you see below are dotted in all the parks throughout melbourne, they drip-irrigate the trees so they don't all die - sure as hell unsightly but better than a stack of dead trees

Melbourne is like 2000 kilometres south of Brisbane - thats an indication of how massive the drought is.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I wouldnt be suprised if water parks, car washes and pools shut down here soon....

No more Water Parks!!!

Where the hell are little kids gonna pee???

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I was the person stressing about a half hour shower - everyone from Australia will know how serious this drought is. The worst thing is it doesn't feel like there's much you can do, except conserve water. I feel your pain Sheep, my parents hometown is fucked.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    We have been lucky here in Northern New South Wales as we get pretty regular rainfall. It's only 2hrs from Brisbane but is in the sub tropics and the fact we still have rainforest around may contribute to our rainfall. I feel for those struggling with drought.
    If you want to see rain go live in Cairns (I lived there 10years) but the wet seasons will certainly drive you troppo.

I was the person stressing about a half hour shower - everyone from Australia will know how serious this drought is. The worst thing is it doesn't feel like there's much you can do, except conserve water. I feel your pain Sheep, my parents hometown is fucked.

Fuck oath! I live here and I feel guilty everytime I leave the water running for too long or use a ice cube too much, I just got back and it seems the state of my city is fucked, and I'm just about to leave for a year, I hope something happens before I get back home, like a massive amount of rainfall in the coming months....

peace.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    This will seem filthy to people taking half hour showers, but I feel guilty when I flush the toilet. Even my girlfriend subscribes to the "If it's yellow..." rule.

The impact something like this takes on a town is hard to measure, and I hate to think how many farmers will be topping themselves. Hopefully it'll all be sweet by the time you get back Sheep!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Yes you should, because Cali's water situation is not optimal for any type of growth. You guys are already "beyond capacity."

Why sweat it when we can just find a way to steal it from someone else? It's the L.A. Way!

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    The water restrictions have hit the weed supply as well. Getting harder and more expensive to get blazed.

• Should I feel bad that I often run the shower 15 minutes before I even get in? Naw, fuck it. I don't even pay for the water in my building.

Why sweat it when we can just find a way to steal it from someone else? It's the L.A. Way!

and unfortunately the basis for yet another 'tragedy of the commons'

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    one more - the plastic containers you see below are dotted in all the parks throughout melbourne, they drip-irrigate the trees so they don't all die - sure as hell unsightly but better than a stack of dead trees

Melbourne is like 2000 kilometres south of Brisbane - thats an indication of how massive the drought is.

I think we have it just about as bad as anyone in the country here. I shower with a bucket in the shower (5 mins max) to catch the excess to water the trees so they don't die, we also keep the runoff from the washing machine.

Everything in the whole city looks fucked though, everything is dead, not a single blade of green grass anywhere.

I'm working on a big study into the state of water in Australia at the moment - we've just nudged past the 400 page barrier. I can tell you that it's

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    The thing that fucks me up the most is sydney is drenched in rain. And where dose it all go? Straight down the drains and storm water. No one ever thinks about trying to utilise all this wasted water. The murry has pretty much dried up yet all this water is allowed to just go to waste.

• The thing that fucks me up the most is sydney is drenched in rain. And where dose it all go? Straight down the drains and storm water. No one ever thinks about trying to utilise all this wasted water. The murry has pretty much dried up yet all this water is allowed to just go to waste.

capturing its not easy tho - where the hell are you going to store multiple volumes of water equivalent in size to football stadiums within metropolitan Sydney? then theres the fit for purpose side too, removing doo doo bacteria and exhaust particles would be a nightmare, then the reticulation etc etc - its easier and cheaper to bypass all of that, thus the interest in large scale recycling & de-sal

unfortunately most of Sydney's rainfall seems to miss the catchment areas these days