Holy Intellect Appreication Thread

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Damn, can I get some dap on this release. Listening to this again today, reminded me how good the production is, with wise intelligent and culture freedom killing it in the cipher. Remains a fav to this day. Trenton in the fucking house. Here's a lick to whet the appetite.

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Yesss! Bought it when it came out. So versatile and fresh. In that month I started writing. This was my soundtrack. Haven't listened to that one in along time. Btw, is there a 12" with "Easy Star" from the follow up album?
    Another thing, there is a guy producing them on this album called Eric I.Q. Gray. He lived in Germany after that album for a while and had something like a rap career over here. Anyone knows what happened to him? Back to the US? That album is dope, yes indeed!

• Yeah, this a great album. Wise Intelligent is a excellent MC and doesn't get enough props in my mind. Same can be said for Tony D who is killing the production here. The sleeper favorite to me is "so many teachers", even if it "offended" KRS One...ha.

The other thing is I honestly think that the other 3 PRT albums are probably just as good as this. Some better in certain ways; Pure Poverty, Black Business (probably my favorite PRT album), and New World Order. They never seem to get their props at all though

• Trenton in the fucking house.

Hey Sticky whutchu know about german IQ 12"s? Details plaese.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Same can be said for Tony D who is killing the production here.

i always wondered why tony d's solo stuff wasn't nearly as good as when he produced for other artists.... maybe thats just me....

• you might be on to something here...I can't think of a beat that grabs me off "funky verses"....like the PRT or YZ productions. There is some nice production on that Crusaders for Real Hip Hop though.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

i always wondered why tony d's solo stuff wasn't nearly as good as when he produced for other artists.... maybe thats just me....

No, I feel that way as well, but seeing "produced by Tony D" on a record's credits is a very good reason for me to buy it. That dude was fuckin' killing it.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    Saw this topic and KNEW there'd be a djnikoless post in it.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    All their albums are dope but I really like NWO the best as of the last few years.

How about the Wise solo joint, anybody feelin' that one? I like it.

• Saw this topic and KNEW there'd be a djnikoless post in it.

ha, you know my style...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    you might be on to something here...I can't think of a beat that grabs me off "funky verses"....like the PRT or YZ productions. There is some nice production on that Crusaders for Real Hip Hop though.

If anyone has the single "That's How It Is" for DL, it would be appreciated. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I have never heard any of PRT's other LPs. Late pass in extremis.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    How about the Wise solo joint, anybody feelin' that one? I like it.

Yeah it's pretty tight, I just picked up a copy at the thrift the other day.
    If anyone needs a copy holla!

• on the Wise Intelligent solo joint it was cool. I need to peep it again probably but I do know that "Freestyle (A Concious Lyric) is pretty bonkers...

• Same can be said for Tony D who is killing the production here.

are you suggesting that him getting paid for his beats was a motivating factor to give better quality? Certainly makes sense but by that logic then wouldn't that make his solo beats the best because it would certainly stand to profit the most of an album of his own that he did all the work on...so making the best album possible would seem to be bigger pay off...however, maybe that's too much logic or illogic or something...ha

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    wouldn't that make his solo beats the best because it would certainly stand to profit the most of an album of his own that he did all the work on...

Not if sales were flat. You sell a hot beat you got money in hand.

• wouldn't that make his solo beats the best because it would certainly stand to profit the most of an album of his own that he did all the work on...

yeah, I can see that I was just giving a complicated scenario to your simple answer that's all...ha. I suppose that theory is certainly possible but I honestly would be a bigger guess on that fact that he did that PRT LP and the YZ LP and EP along with his album all at the same time pretty much so I'm guess he just ran out of hot beats and he had an album deal and wanted to knock it out while his name was still hot. That's my real theory....at least off the top of the dome for now

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Pure Poverty is my favourite PRT album but they are all dope.

As for the Wise Intelligent solo album I did give it a spin in the record shop when it dropped but it didn???t hit me so I never picked it up.

Whilst I love PRT I kind of felt Culture Freedom let the side down a bit, some of his rhymes are awful and just seem to simplistic sat next to a Wise Intelligent lyric.

• Btw, is there a 12" with "Easy Star" from the follow up album?

In a word...yes.

Contains a few dancehall remixes....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    wouldn't that make his solo beats the best because it would certainly stand to profit the most of an album of his own that he did all the work on...

yeah, I can see that I was just giving a complicated scenario to your simple answer that's all...ha. I suppose that theory is certainly possible but I honestly would be a bigger guess on that fact that he did that PRT LP and the YZ LP and EP along with his album all at the same time pretty much so I'm guess he just ran out of hot beats and he had an album deal and wanted to knock it out while his name was still hot. That's my real theory....at least off the top of the dome for now

Or maybe PRT and YZ just have better taste in Tony D beats than Tony D.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Btw, is there a 12" with "Easy Star" from the follow up album?

Yeah, there's a 12" of "Easy Star" that's not too hard to find. It's got the original version plus a couple dancehall remixes. I've never seen one with a cover, though. I'd be curious if any exist.

• ooooh definite oosine on all PRT...just was rocking wise intelligent steady slangin the other day...

• Btw, is there a 12" with "Easy Star" from the follow up album?

there should be. I have a white label promo that has the instrumental and a remix on the flip.