wishing on a star (accapella)

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I've been listening to this KDAY mastermixes for the last few days and the one thing that keeps sparking my curiousity is this accapella. There's a mix where they are blending what appears to be a accapella of "wishing on a star" to a "hip hop beat". Who is that accapella, anyone know? I'm pretty sure it's not Rolls Royce but I could be tripping. By the "Wishing On A Star" is one in a series of top notch ballads by the incredible Rolls Royce...had to give them their props...ha. On the side trivial note, I once read an interview where Medusa (project blowed fame) was saying she is related to Billie Calvin (who wrote that song) and Medusa said she is playing a "bucket" as a child on that track at the end...i'm pretty sure I'm not crazy and that's what read...I've had weirder dreams to fuse with reality though...ha.

Comments

• Fresh 4 featuring Liz E??

• yeah, I saw that one on discogs but didn't see "accapella" listed anywhere but maybe it's one of the other vesion like the "no jb beat" one or something. It is from '89 which is the year the show aired so that could be it. thanx

I thought I remembered KDAY playing that record back in the day, does it have a slowed down Funky Drummer (I think)?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Use to love the track back in the day. There must be an accapella, since I seem to remember Chris Sheppard using a pretty long acca over another track. But the 12" I had, didn't have one.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Damn, this guy has been around for a minute. Krust aka Keith Thompson, pretty huge DnB producer. Just watched an interview with him on Redbull where he dropped some knowledge about the history of this record, worth checking.

If there's an acapella for this I doubt it's been ripped from vinyl, I'll keep an eye out for it though.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    funkmaster flex has a remix of it with the beats to the benjamins and brian mcknight's "you should be mine". i think it is on pitbull records.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    re: the Rose[/b] Royce version ... there is a radio station in
    my area (KISS 108 FM) that would play "Wishing on a Star" every day
    of the week at exactly noon. I remember back in the 80's switching the
    channel to 108 at like 11:56 so I could hear it. A couple of months
    ago I was in a store with KISS 108 on, and right at noon, it came on!
    Apparently they have maintained this traditon for something like 25 years
    now ... pretty strange, and also pretty damn cool.

• re: the Rose[/b] Royce version ... there is a radio station in
    my area (KISS 108 FM) that would play "Wishing on a Star" every day
    of the week at exactly noon. I remember back in the 80's switching the
    channel to 108 at like 11:56 so I could hear it. A couple of months
    ago I was in a store with KISS 108 on, and right at noon, it came on!
    Apparently they have maintained this traditon for something like 25 years
    now ... pretty strange, and also pretty damn cool.

that is interesting and somewhat amazing. Where is that you are located, I like it already....ha. Rolls Royce is one of my childhood favorites easily!

• the only version i ever hear has an acapella intro b4 the beat drops in, that may be what they are using, may be the teena marie version but may be the og rose royce version, i dunno, but oone of em has an acapella of sorts intro, peace...

This could be the case. When I get home I'll post a link with the KDAY Mastermix if anyone wants to check it out and maybe recognize what the hell they are using....ha. It's possible he's just repeating an intro over a beat and I just never noticed that.

thanx for all the feedback!

I thought I remembered KDAY playing that record back in the day, does it have a slowed down Funky Drummer (I think)?

just listened again and the beat is "peter piper" and something else that my brain can't register...

• Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Damn, this guy has been around for a minute. Krust aka Keith Thompson, pretty huge DnB producer. Just watched an interview with him on Redbull where he dropped some knowledge about the history of this record, worth checking.

If there's an acapella for this I doubt it's been ripped from vinyl, I'll keep an eye out for it though. [/quote">
    yeah krust has been around for quite awhile. his output hasn't been wat it used to be. I am not really into the Full Cycle wobble sound but he definately makes tunes to smash the dancefloor.

speaking of wishing on a star and jungle.

a href="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=83H8YTEX]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=83H8YTEX

my favorite cover of wishing on a star. brings back so many memories.

• the link as I said I would do:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sr8fw8

curtis harmon kday master mix 10-29-89. The "wishing on a star" comes in 6:55....

it's 9:22 total time

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't think thats the accapella. More like a different mix or something like a video dub version.
    Maybe the No JB Beats version. I haven't had the 12" in over 10 years, so I can't remember to be honest.

• the link as I said I would do:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sr8fw8

curtis harmon kday master mix 10-29-89. The "wishing on a star" comes in 6:55....

it's 9:22 total time

It's a blend of the Fresh 4 with the Peter Piper beat, although it's not the acapella, it's the vocal version. I tried to find the Fresh 4 record to post it but can't find it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    The only other one I know of is the one Beyonce did for a perfume advert which is just a couple of lines of the chorus. It's completely acapella and one of the nicest things she's recorded, 'cos there are no vocal pyrotechnics. If your mix is old, it's certainly not this, but I thought it was worth a mention.