Top 5 Movie Endings...

paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
1. CINEMA PARADISO (1988):Pitch perfect ending to a near flawless film (stay away from the extended version/director's cut - as in the case of CP, less is truly more).Alfredo's final gift to Salvatore, without giving too much away will easily bring tears to a grown man's eyes - fuck a Brian's Song.2. PLANET OF THE APES (1968):Time might have lessened the impact of the "we were here all the time" shock ending with the radioactive and melted Statue of Liberty cruely staring down at poor ol' Chuck Heston (by the way, ever notice just how many overtly liberal-themed movies Heston played in back then? Soylent Green, Omega Man, etc. Pretty funny actually).But man, as a youth this was the kind of thing that put a WTF look on my grill for the entire day.Rod Serling's crowning achievement along with Requiem For a Heavyweight.3. EVIL DEAD II / DEAD BY DAWN (1987):Besides being one of the hands down, most fun movies you could ever possibly see in a movie theater along with a (hopefully) like-minded and eager crowd (42nd street was where I first saw it and nothing like it comes close sans kung fu flicks), Evil Dead II had one of the most fucked up endings ever.I mean, after all the foul up shit poor Ash ("Rambo" to the folks on the Duece) went through for 90 minutes, he not only doesn't get his happy ending, he winds up continuing his fight with the Deadites in the fucking Middle Ages. Brilliant.(To be continued in the completely dissapointing Army of Darkness. DooDoo on a shotgun.)4. USUAL SUSPECTS (1995):Had to do it. The last couple of minutes always give me the chills.5. SHAOLIN MANTIS (1978):What is otherwise an above average period kung fu flick from Shaw Brothers and maestro Liu Chia Liang takes a very unexpected turn at the film's end when we realize that the hero of the story (David Chiang) turned out to be the villain, a fact when watching the movie a second time reveals, was cleverly hiding in plain sight the entire time.Sifu Liu is genius.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    1. Heat. perfect movie, perfect ending.

2. A Simple Plan. Crushing Ending

3.Glengarry Glenn Ross

i could only come up with 3

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

1. Heat. perfect movie, perfect ending

Somewhat letdown by the ending, although you knew it had to end that way.

2. A Simple Plan. Crushing Ending

"Crushing" indeed.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    what about Cookoo's nest?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

what about Cookoo's nest?

NICHOLSON SHREDS

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    BEING THERE-- [/b]
    "Life is a state of mind". Chance walks on water. Magritte meets the buddha. It doesn't get any better.

Runaway Train- [/b]
    Basically the same ending as above just done as a prison break movie. John Voigt confronts Eric Roberts character with the immortal lines "You're gonna learn, kid. It's all up here. (pointing to his temple)" thus revealing that this well done action is actually a visceral meditation on our own psychological imprisonment. Criminally slept on mid-80s film.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

TAXI DRIVER
    SCARFACE
    ROSEMARY'S BABY
    AUDITION
    PUSHER III

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Memorable endings for me:

The Sixth Sense

Butch Cassidy

Se7en

Cinema Paradiso (concur)

Time Bandits

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

• COUPLE OF ENTRIES (nice thread)

old boy

se7en

the departed

die hard 2

silence of the lambs

platoon

untouchables

empire strikes back

irreversible

shawshank

blood in blood out

bodysnatchers(sutherland version)

transformers!.......

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Beau Travail
    Stalker
    Zabriskie Point
    Ms.45
    Irma Vep
    Sympathy For The Devil

• A couple of nice ones not mentioned yet:

Harakiri (1962)[/b]
    The best samurai movie made and also one of my favorite movies ever. The way the plot unwinds at end is just face melting.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)[/b]
    Classic.

• the sacrifice has seriously the most beautiful and cathartic end to a film i've seen by a wide margin.

400 blows has a pretty great ending too.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the sacrifice has seriously the most beautiful and cathartic end to a film i've seen by a wide margin.

400 blows has a pretty great ending too.

yes and yes.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Duel
    Dr Strangelove
    Chinatown
    Return Of The Living Dead
    Escape From New York
    Vertigo
    It's A Wonderful Life (Yeah I know)
    After Hours
    Police Story

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Time Bandits
    Horrid ending. Still freaks me out...the poor kids parents die in the house after the toaster explodes & hes just stood there on his own!

The only one i can think of right now is night of the living dead & ill also cosign return of the living dead.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"I did my best, but I guess my best wasnt good enough..."

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

DUDE...
    Completely forgot about this!!
    I remember I went to see this with what seemed like half of my school one night.
    When the credits started to crawl up the screen, NOBODY was expecting that shit!!
    Not a moment later and the whole theater was like, "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!" in unison (with a few "oh shit!"'s and "that's FUCKED up!"'s thrown in for good measure).
    What was essentially a silly early 80's teenage sex comedy all of a sudden ended on an very truthful note.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The Taking of Pelham 123 always springs to mind when talking about movie endings.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Layer Cake.
    They set the viewer up for it perfectly too.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Nevada Smith

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Se7en was pretty wild, too.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Layer Cake.
    They set the viewer up for it perfectly too.

While this didn't blow me away personally it did remind me of the kind of resolution you would get from studio films in the sixties where the censorship laws in place insisted that heroes/anti-heroes that had profited from breaking the law through the film must be seen to be brought to justice by the credits in some way.

Which reminds me of a truly ending: Get Carter.

• T H E H O L Y M O U N T A I N

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Butch Cassidy
    The Graduate
    Crying Game
    Usual Supects
    The Shining

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)[/b]
    Classic.

Nice one.

I love the endings to Breathless[/b] and Contempt[/b] Ending to Breathless made me chuckle. Contempt was a grueling movie at times, and the ending totally took me off gaurd. I'm sure there are people that hate the ending to that movie, but I totally love it. And she is so easy on the eyes.

Oh almost forgot, the ending to Bladerunner: The Director's Cut[/b]. One of my all time favorite flicks.