what the fuck is a meme?

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i've seen this on several other websites and am not sure what it is. it sounds pretty fucking stupid though. anyone?

Comments

• i've seen this on several other websites and am not sure what it is. it sounds pretty fucking stupid though. anyone?

It's a viral idea. The word meme is extremely useful discussing this n that around the local bubbler.

My last CD was titled Meme Warfare so eat you rheart out.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    LEROY JENKINS!

• i love that word; it sounds like what it should mean- a brief item of interest; most forgettable.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    i've seen this on several other websites and am not sure what it is. it sounds pretty fucking stupid though. anyone?

It's a word smart people use a lot now. Like "Modality".

# Modality (semiotics), the types of sign and the extent to which any set of signs is real or unreal.

I have this programmer friend and I asked the other day what he had been working on. He talked for about 5 minutes about these database abstractions and then he stopped and I said "So what are you working on?" He's real big on memes though.

I think a meme can be like.. an idea... and idea that spreads. Or anything the spreads? Like maybe reggaeton was a meme. or the Atkins diet. Or blogs. I'm not sure. I'm sure someone will straighten this all out.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm sure someone will straighten this all out.

I repeat:

Boom: The short version

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I like memes.

• A meme is a unit of information that acts in much the same way that genes do. We are only the hosts, the carriers, but if the meme has what it takes, we will help pass it on, and it will outlive us.

Its not really something that you can say "sounds dumb", or "memes are pseudo intellectual babble"... Memes is just a term to describe how information acts organically.

Look at corporations, they are well aware of how memes operate... and their meme mages study and construct logos/sigils, ad campaigns, word of mouth etc., to help propagate the idea that ends up making people wanna buy their shit. Have a Coke and a Smile don't give a fuck about you, neither does the Marlborough Man... but they will be around long after your dead... well, at least coke will, the anti-smoking meme is growing fast.

Religions and social instutions, and all the myriad belief systems (B.S.) are made up of memes too... the main thing to remember is that you are just the carrier, it is much bigger than you.

Peace...
    FNM

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I like memes.

yo tambien.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    so the use of the word meme is essentially a meme itself

btw, my spell check just put me on blast for the new word of the day...

• OutsiderOutsider 59 Posts
    Coined by the radical athiest,evolutionary biologist and all round good egg Richard Dawkins,from this book,

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Meme, myself, and I