Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Up that one, I have to hear that.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I just figured out the label pic

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I will when I get a chance...

• Total rude boy classic, I was playing the shit out of this and the equally hilarious b side, give me back my dollar, when I was djing a punk/skinhead night. Nice label too.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    skinhead night

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    skinhead night

skinhead does not equal KKK rally (not all the time at least)

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    skinhead night

but rumour has it that in the 60's down south, the Klan used to get dooowwwwn to Laurel aitken- shit was wild back then.

• skinhead night

true dat, and if you are in the Los Angeles area on st.patty's day we will be throwing an ill ska/rocksteady/skinhead reggae party on this night w/djs and live bands as well. (shameless plug) check the announcements page for details soon.

ps - classic tune by the way, i have a blank of this somewhere around here.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

post it now or you're soft batch. what are you painting or something?

where'd you score that..?

skinhead night

Oh. Well, where I grew up, it meant 1 thing. Sorry. That term should probably be retired. That's like saying Nazi is another word for Hip Hopper.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    skinhead night

Oh. Well, where I grew up, it meant 1 thing. Sorry. That term should probably be retired. That's like saying Nazi is another word for Hip Hopper.

i dunno know about that.. maybe more like saying backpacker is another word for hiphopper.

• WHOA! Just saw the reaction.

Not what I was trying to say, at all. I thought fools would know when talking about a reggae 45 like this -skinhead has a totally different meaning other that what it was taken for. Not the time or place for a history lesson on that shit- ill leave that up to someone else, or another place.

skinhead night

i dunno know about that.. maybe more like saying backpacker is another word for hiphopper.

Skinhead is to Reggae as nazi is to Hip Hop is where I was coming from. Based on the meaning of skinhead that I am familiar with (doc martins with white laces, committing racist hate crimes, etc.), that is. I've just never heard the term skinhead refer to somebody who wasn't a white supremecist/racist.

Soulstrut is always a learning experience.

WHOA! Just saw the reaction.

Not what I was trying to say, at all. I thought fools would know when talking about a reggae 45 like this -skinhead has a totally different meaning other that what it was taken for. Not the time or place for a history lesson on that shit- ill leave that up to someone else, or another place.

On soulstrut, any time and place is a time for a history lesson.

I am not a reggae or ska head, never have been, so I was not familiar with the termanology. I've only heard of it in the negative racist connotation.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    skinhead night

Skinhead is to Reggae as nazi is to Hip Hop is where I was coming from. Based on the meaning of skinhead that I am familiar with (doc martins with white laces, committing racist hate crimes, etc.), that is. I've just never heard the term skinhead refer to somebody who wasn't a white supremecist/racist.

Soulstrut is always a learning experience.

I don't know if it was the same in other areas of the world but in the UK at least many of the first skinheads were heavily into the reggae scene, this was around the end of the sixties. The whole racist violent twat style links came later.

See, I am always learning new things. From wiki:

Skinheads, named after their cropped or shaven heads, are members of a working class subculture that originated in Britain in the 1960s, where they were heavily influenced by the rude boys of the West Indies and the mods of the UK.

In subsequent decades, the skinhead subculture spread to other parts of Europe, North America and other continents. Politically, they range from far-right and racist to far-left and anti-fascist ??? and everything in between (including apolitical).

I guess when I heard about the far-right racist ones, I never cared to learn any more.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I've only heard of it in the negative racist connotation.

Wikipedia offers a decent quick history. I grew up with a few non-racist skinheads ... in the 80s there were a lot of skinheads associated with the hardcore music scene and skateboarding. Look at someone like Mike Vallely (if you're familiar with skateboarding) ... he'd be as close to a "pop culture" example as I can think of.

But, certainly, the history goes back to the UK in the 60s intertwined with mod culture and eventually reggae culture (70s). However, the potency of the "racist skinhead" image far overshadows that of the original skinhead image for most people.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    See, I am always learning new things. From wiki:

Skinheads, named after their cropped or shaven heads, are members of a working class subculture that originated in Britain in the 1960s, where they were heavily influenced by the rude boys of the West Indies and the mods of the UK.

In subsequent decades, the skinhead subculture spread to other parts of Europe, North America and other continents. Politically, they range from far-right and racist to far-left and anti-fascist ??? and everything in between (including apolitical).

I guess when I heard about the far-right racist ones, I never cared to learn any more.

Whoops ... you got to it first I see.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I heard that one of the reasons right wing fascists adopted this look was because it was easier to survive a fight, i.e., not being pulled on your hair...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I heard that one of the reasons right wing fascists adopted this look was because it was easier to survive a fight, i.e., not being pulled on your hair...

That would be a great urban legend, but alas the real reason was the downturn in the English economy in the 70s and the appeal the right wing/fascists made to white working class kids that it was all the "other" - mostly immigrants, fault.

And while I was in a Ska band I played a lot of shows with non-racist Skins, but they still had a rep as being macho and fighting.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

post it now or you're soft batch. what are you painting or something?

where'd you score that..?

i'll post it when i get a chance to no over here at the crib...i got it from my favorite dropper.
    Kinda of bummed because it has a scratch on it that i can't repair.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i got it from my favorite dropper.
    Kinda of bummed because it has a scratch on it that i can't repair.

must've been some hippy who dropped a dook! (SS related)

• SkullLabSkullLab 58 Posts
    ... in the 80s there were a lot of skinheads associated with the hardcore music scene

yeah I was gonna say the same thing. The hardcore scene was all about skinheads but also all about equality and anti-racism. Neo nazis would go to the gigs, blend in with their haircuts and pick fights in the mosh pits.

There's quite a few hardcore songs about that. for example Degradation by Gorilla Biscuits - "you look like a skin but that's where it ends... you ruin our name you know what I mean, the racial supremists they degrade our scene"

hardcore is a real interesting sub culture peep this on youtube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlhyduMOsdY