Dubstep

mephistomephisto 11 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
anyone here into it and can recommend any US producers or live sets would be good! cheers

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    anyone here into it and can recommend any US producers or live sets would be good! cheers

IM not quite so sure of any US producers or sets, but i have found some pretty dope records at this record store

good luck! and welcome

• I downloaded a JuJu dubstep mix that was pretty good, also Skream had the most solid dubstep joints...
    Kind of a cool sub-genre, the trippy dark noises of DnB, but a lot less in your face...
    Peace
    DJ Zest

• anyone here into it and can recommend any US producers or live sets would be good! cheers

IM not quite so sure of any US producers or sets, but i have found some pretty dope records at this record store

good luck! and welcome

thanks
    thats a decent store saves me going to london as much looking for dubplates in grimey little record stores costing me too much money, check out this site has some decent stuff on it chemical records

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    i have found some pretty dope records at this record store

I didn??t know that hardwax is even known in the US. great store if you are looking for techno, dubstep and the amazing stuff from rhythm&sound.

however, dubstep from the US?? I thought it??s another London based hype such as Grime, broken beat, two step ...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

however, dubstep from the US?? I thought it??s another London based hype such as Grime, broken beat, two step ...

From what I've heard, a lot of dubstep (like Skreams "Midnight request line") is basically instrumental grime. Guess there are songs that are more reggae/dub sounding too, but it all sounds very London and I wouldn't imagine there are that many non-british producers doing it. Then again, this is the global internet age, where genres travel at the speed of light...

• i have found some pretty dope records at this record store

I didn??t know that hardwax is even known in the US. great store if you are looking for techno, dubstep and the amazing stuff from rhythm&sound.

its instrumental so therefore more universal whereas grime talking about reppin from their ends in finsbury which not many people are gonna get haha had read in some interviews that uk artists playing out in the US and there was a mention of some US producers just no names

• I downloaded a JuJu dubstep mix that was pretty good, also Skream had the most solid dubstep joints...
    Kind of a cool sub-genre, the trippy dark noises of DnB, but a lot less in your face...
    Peace
    DJ Zest

check this mix out one of the best out there

BunZer0 Mix

TRACKLIST:

1. 23HZ + NUMAESTRO : Galleon Dub. (Cdr).
    2. CYRUS : Troy. (Tectonic).
    3. GRIMELOCK : ? (Cdr).
    4. SKREAM : I - Loefah Remix. (Tempa).
    5. ELEMENTAL : Sparkle. (Hotflush).
    6. SCUBA : Thank U (Hotflush).
    7. ELEMENTAL : Deep Under. (Hotflush).
    8. OCTOBER : Jah Understand. (Cdr).
    9. SEARCH & DESTROY : Candyfloss - Loefah Remix. (Hotflush).
    10. PINCH : Live With It. (Cdr).
    11. SHACKLETON : Hypno Angel. (Skull Disco).
    12. GRIMELOCK : ? (Cdr).
    13. LOEFAH : Root. (Dmz).
    14. SKREAM : Lightening. (Tempa).
    15. VEX'D : Bombardment Of Saturn. (Planet Mu).
    16. GRIMELOCK : ? (Cdr).
    17. PRESSURE feat. WARRIOR QUEEN : Money Honey. (Hyperdub).
    18. MEGABLAST : Jupita - Stereotyp Remix. (La Rosiere Records).
    19. HEXSTATIC : Distorted Minds - Zero DB Inst. (Ninja Tune).
    20. WARLOCK : Mala Cara. (Dirty Needles).
    21. SLAUGHTER MOB : Blue Eyes. (Urban Graffiti).
    22. DIGITAL MYSTIKZ : Anti War Dub. (Dmz).
    23. SKREAM : Midnight Request Line. (Tempa).
    24. FORSAKEN : Smerins. (Cdr).
    25. SHACKLETON : Blood On My Hands. (Skull Disco).
    26. SCUBA : Words (Hotflush).
    27. BUN-ZER0 : To Ta?? - Rough Mix (Cdr).

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Thanks for the mix man. There is actually a dubstep night out here now, but I dj on thursdays so ive never got to go. Ive been interested in finding out more about it.

• You should definately check out www.dubstepforum.com for some good links and mixes. I think that there are some international producers, but it'd be a hard thing to break into, like a hiphop producer from outside the states.

Anything on Tempa does it for me.

• urb

some decent stuff about it on there actually, just found it

dubstep forum loads of mixes and updates on here

bbc videos this link aint working for me just type in dubstep in google and go to the second result!

• strange timing, just as i heard mention of yet another musical genre (well to me anyhow), someone left a message on my myspace page asking whether my dubsteppy stuff was going to be released. wasn't even aware i was writing dubstep!

anyhow, i'm intrigued.. gonna go check out the link. thanks for droppign the science!

• intriguing, judging by the description of the tracks, it sounds like that movement called dubstep is centred around the mid-90s style of breakbeat hardcore that originated in the UK - the REAL jungle as far as I'm concerned - which has a much heavier musical element that the percussion-workouts that is the drum'n'bass of today.

will definitely investigate this further...

• intriguing, judging by the description of the tracks, it sounds like that movement called dubstep is centred around the mid-90s style of breakbeat hardcore that originated in the UK - the REAL jungle as far as I'm concerned - which has a much heavier musical element that the percussion-workouts that is the drum'n'bass of today.

will definitely investigate this further...

some of that drum and bass still going, drum funk as its called youd probably like as check out paradox, seba some good breaks most dnb is commercial focus on melodies too much not enough sub bass plenty of good stuff out there as well

• hit
    http://www.barefiles.com/
    when its back up and running.
    it has nearly every radio show set, live set...etc archived.

also grab the mary anne hobbs breezeblock "Dubstep Warz" special,
    a good rounded look at the tunes and a few (semi annoying) interviews over the top.

http://www.breaksblog.biz/?p=867

some good debate happening right now over at www.dubstepforum.com
    as to the direction of the sound, its kind of going through a similar identity crisis as jungle/drum n bass did in its earlier years.
    is it this...was it from that...etc.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

good luck! and welcome

thanks
    thats a decent store saves me going to london as much looking for dubplates in grimey little record stores costing me too much money, check out this site has some decent stuff on it chemical records

yeah I dig it. Found some shit on there that is hard to find anywhere else I have checked.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    I guess Team Shadetek from Brooklyn(?). They got some dubsteppy beats and are from the US. They got a new 12" out called Brooklyn anthem, which is kind of a grime song sort of... Otherwise don't know bout US producers in that field.

Definetly check that Skream stuff. The new 3LP album got some really good joints and is pretty solid as a whole. Skreamizm vol.1-2 is also available on 12". I got that vol.2 and it's quite nice. Skream is pretty consistent with his. Same label that put out the Skream 3lp, tempa, has put out a compilation series called The Roots of Dubstep which is from what i hear pretty essential stuff. Also there's a series of 12" called southside dubstars with some pretty good stuff. On a more hardcore tip Vex'D has some pretty ruff instrumentals. I guess other names to check out would be Benga, Burial, Kode 9, Digital Mystikz... Not a real expert on the stuff but that's some to check out...

http://www.boomkat.com is a webstore with dubstep on sale and also has preview clips of the stuff.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    It's just drum and bass right....

I didn't know people still cared about that stuff.
    Good for them, go dance funny all night long kids!

Remember when they called it "jungle"?

you are right. Dubstep is nothing else than drum and bass at a lower speed. Anyway, defining styles of dance music (especially originating from London) has always been hilarious. You can have a great time if you simply ask people about the difference of Jungle and DnB or speed garage and house or broken beat, grime, dubstep, breakbeats, hardcore

However, there is little love for DnB (dubstep...) on soulstrut, but it??s still alive and very lively! If people would listen to current releases, they could check out a couple of great productions with creative sampling and beat chopping. Days of clownstep and amen attacks are long gone, although this sound still rules for the 15-19 year old party crowd in some areas.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Eh... You do know how that term originated, right?

Eh... You do know how that term originated, right?

Eh... you've heard the term "joke" before, right?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dubstep is not drum&bass.

you are right. Dubstep is nothing else than drum and bass at a lower speed. Anyway, defining styles of dance music (especially originating from London) has always been hilarious. You can have a great time if you simply ask people about the difference of Jungle and DnB or speed garage and house or broken beat, grime, dubstep, breakbeats, hardcore

However, there is little love for DnB (dubstep...) on soulstrut, but it??s still alive and very lively! If people would listen to current releases, they could check out a couple of great productions with creative sampling and beat chopping. Days of clownstep and amen attacks are long gone, although this sound still rules for the 15-19 year old party crowd in some areas.

I like the intro to the Lily Allen vid, where she's at Rough Trade attempting to explain
    what type of music she's looking for, "new wave grime, dubby broken beat but more soulful...".
    Ahh I can't do it justice here's the video. You can stop watching after the intro, unless you
    are feeling Lily Allen, which I am, but that's the topic for another thread.

dubstep from the US and Canada

http://www.riddim.ca/

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I agree, it not really reggae either.

Im just learning about it but from what I was hearing there were a lot of popular hip hop accapellas over dub type beats...or popular instro's made into dub type beats. maybe this is the amercian version.

I mean basically its like most 12" bside from 83 through 89 slowed down, glitched out and mashed up.

At least that is what I got out of it...not to say I didn't like it though, I'd like to hear more.

That's like sayin hyphy ain't hip hop.

Hardly.

Hardly.

Hair-splitter!

• Dubstep is not drum&bass.

Not really, Dubstep is related to grime not D'n'B ,it's another branch of the UK/Speed Garage "scene"...

Hardly.

Hair-splitter!

No, not really.

The soundscape of drum&bass has undeniably had an impact on dubstep over the past year, but by no means does that equate to dubstep = drum&bass.

The music is founded mainly on a presence of huge sub-bass. Other key influences are UK garage and, to an extent, grime. It's mainly all about bass though. Other influences range everything from dub to ambient to found sound to silly synth music to techno to whatever.

It's mainly all about bass though.

That??s saying a lot!